Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

blade1 wrote: »
    We made good goalposts and fishing nets for nets in our back garden in the 70's.
    All the kids in the area would call where a match would take place most days during the 70'and 80's.
    We dreamt of being the players we saw on the T.V. and read about.
    Nobody would have aspired to be a L.O.I. player.

Jumpers for goal posts, isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

flazio wrote: »
    Try telling that to the Scottish Old Firm.

That’s a topic for a different thread. The OP is basically saying Irish Catholics should support Everton just like they should support Celtic.

I disagree with both, we should be far past using religion as the basis for doing anything. We have free will, we are no longer obliged to follow the church blindly

But overall I don’t even agree with the assertion the Everton is a Catholic club and Liverpool isn’t. Both are far more diverse and international these days, I don’t think that opinion is based in reality. If they’re officially Catholic they don’t show it and haven’t mentioned it anytime recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What I can never understand is how English teams are made up of foreign players.
    Their top player is "Luciani mato Gestapo", yet the team is named "insert English town" United.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What I can never understand is how English teams are made up of foreign players.
    Their top player is "Luciani mato Gestapo", yet the team is named "insert English town" United.

Luis Amour Rodriguez at Harchester United

Story checks out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Google Bosman ruling. Players a lot freer to follow the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I just could never get why most of Dublin and the rest of the country supported the English league .

MOTD and live matches would have been the start of it. Not everyone's interest in football is going to see it week-in and week-out. It's handy having it on the tv, particularly so if you're a kid. A kid will usually support whoever is successful at the time which makes sense if the tv thing is true. The elaborate stories about how you chose the one team that your father hated, just as a way to annoy him, the team just happening to turn out to be Chelsea, these would come later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I getting all this Liverpool sh1t at the moment . Boys in my local crying about them. Why don't they support Everton? The Catholic club in the city.

That's another historical fact lost in the wash. My Liverpudlian cousins were all fanatical Everton fans but the whole thing wasn't that overt even in my time unlike the Glasgow rivalry. I think Liverpool's pre-Fergie dominance created a legion of new Irish supporters which is why I would urge any oligarch with hot money to park to find a smaller London club. Loyalty can be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

TL/DR LOI is literally not in the same league as the PL
    Nobody thinks it is. Nobody.
    While I wish them well any sanctimonious LOI fan incredulous as to how any Irish person could follow English teams (and we can use that term loosely given the number of actual English players in each team) fan, respectfully, DO ONE!

I love how you finished that with the most English of English sayings. Hope that was intentional. Bang of Jeremy Kyle off it :pac:

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Our best players aren't major stars over there any more. I grew up supporting Man U, George Best intitially, in the First Division but the Champions League is the ultimate level in terms of quality now and the players in the top teams are drawn from the same countries as the Premiership.

Who wants to tell him...

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Our best players aren't major stars over there any more. I grew up supporting Man U, George Best intitially, in the First Division but the Champions League is the ultimate level in terms of quality now and the players in the top teams are drawn from the same countries as the Premiership.

Who wants to tell him...

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nobody thinks it is. Nobody.

So the thread is answered.

I love how you finished that with the most English of English sayings. Hope that was intentional. Bang of Jeremy Kyle off it :pac:

Obvious is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Pkiernan wrote: »
    A lot of Irish really wish they were English, I reckon.
    what you talkin about Guvnor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Achasanai wrote: »
    MOTD and live matches would have been the start of it.

Club like Everton had considerable support in Dublin from the 1920's onwards. Support for other English teams would also have long preceded MOTD.

Any irish person who says “Do one” should be excecuted

Achasanai wrote: »
    Not everyone's interest in football is going to see it week-in and week-out.

That's fair enough. I think it's fair to say the fella or girl going week-in and week-out is definitely more of a die hard though than someone sitting on a couch. So when someone derides a person for following LOI or their local team by saying ''who do you really support?'', they're sneering at an actual match-going fan and football without fans is nothing.

So the thread is answered.

To a degree but then why not support Spain or Germany over Ireland? Why not support Kilkenny over Wexford in the hurling?

Edenmoar wrote: »
    Any irish person who says “Do one” should be excecuted

And you can do one, an' all. You Pillock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

To a degree but then why not support Spain or Germany over Ireland? Why not support Kilkenny over Wexford in the hurling?

Because you play for your school/club In the county and can progress to playing for your county.
    Also no other countries have famous gaa players.

Equally as obvious.

Vanishingly few Irish players played for those teams, and virtually absent from the TV up until late. Barcelona and RM have a growing following though, and second teams for a lot of Irish people.

The GAA have a good PR system and ever present in Irish media. And it's very county specific, and everyone is proud of their county.

Jog on mate

• Advertisement

The GAA have a good PR system and ever present in Irish media. And it's very county specific, and everyone is proud of their county.

Everyone? I can’t stand GAA. I hate how the GAA try and insist it’s part of my heritage, I’ve never had anything to do with it.

Jog on mate

I'm not your mate, chum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I wasn't even allowed read Roy of the Rovers. True Story. I will get over it. I remember seeing a fight on a Saturday afternoon in a pub in Drimnagh between Liverpool and Man United fans, I will never ever get over the sight of Irish men fighting each other wearing British soccer jerseys.

Everyone? I can’t stand GAA. I hate how the GAA try and insist it’s part of my heritage, I’ve never had anything to do with it.

And you'd never support any team, and so the possibility of changing allegiance is irrelevant. County being where they are from not the GAA team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Acrington Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Nothing wrong with supporting English, Scottish, Spanish or any teams from another country

Though nothing beats going to see your local team in the flesh week in week out.

Pity the LOI is run like crap, promoted like crap, marketed like crap because I think this country could have a great domestic football product and experience for supporters if the FAI gave any toss about it

Sling yer hook, mate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is it not simply down to what you grew up doing and witnessing in regards to sport etc? Like the Premier League is almost 30 years old now, for context it's older than my wife. It's as ingrained in Irish culture as national sports are due to the marketing. Way more so than LOI, which might be hard to accept but is simply a fact. I know there are some exceptions to the rule as usual where they pick it up in later life but primarily people gravitate towards what their parents, or mates, or extended family do. And there's nothing wrong with that.

For me I follow Arsenal as I was born in London and lived there for 6 years. Arguably my actual local team should be Leyton Orient, and I do have an affinity with them (keep an eye on their results at least), but most of my family who are North London based are either Spurs or Arsenal, so it was a straight up and simple choice for me, and I landed on the red side and regret absolutely nothing.

As for LOI, I used to be as a young lad a regular match goer to Sligo Rovers games. Enjoyed it for a little while but truth be told I never got the same buzz out of it. And that was live, whereas most of my Arsenal experiences have been through a television.

I wouldn't argue either way is better in supporting, people do what they do and it doesn't really bother me that much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Acrington Stanley.
    Who are they?

• Advertisement

Anyway regardless I wish people would try to go to LOI games if you haven’t been because the more people go the better our league will become and this should reflect on our national team too

Advertisement