Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can my TV pick up free to air UK channels e.g BBC

• 14-10-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

My parents recently got a new Samsung TV (UE32N5300AKXXU).

I got it setup for them to get the RTE channels but I'm not sure if it can pick up the free to air channels from the UK like BBC. I've read around the forum a bit but am a bit lost between saorview, freeview, freesat, DVB-TC etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Peck3277 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My parents recently got a new Samsung TV (UE32N5300AKXXU).

I got it setup for them to get the RTE channels but I'm not sure if it can pick up the free to air channels from the UK like BBC. I've read around the forum a bit but am a bit lost between saorview, freeview, freesat, DVB-TC etc.

Any help would be appreciated

It does not have a satellite tuner, only a terrestrial tuner (DVB-T/C) that I can see from the specs.

DVB-T; DVB-T2 are terrestrial
    DVB-C is cable
    DVB-S is satellite

Freesat, Free to Air (FTA) satellite, and Sky all use satellite broadcasts
    Saorview (Ire.) and Freeview (UK) are terrestrial broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

It does not have a satellite tuner, only a terrestrial tuner (DVB-T/C) that I can see from the specs.

DVB-T; DVB-T2 are terrestrial
    DVB-C is cable
    DVB-S is satellite

Freesat, Free to Air (FTA) satellite, and Sky all use satellite broadcasts
    Saorview (Ire.) and Freeview (UK) are terrestrial broadcasts.

Cheers for the reply Johnboy.

I presume I can't get Freeview as it's terrestrial (and I'm in the south west). So what we should have done is look for a TV with a terrestrial receiver and a satellite receiver. Then try to pick up Freesat or Free to Air?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Peck3277 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply Johnboy.

I presume I can't get Freeview as it's terrestrial (and I'm in the south west). So what we should have done is look for a TV with a terrestrial receiver and a satellite receiver. Then try to pick up Freesat or Free to Air?

Yes.

Your alternatives now seem to be

change the TV for one with a sat tuner

buy a Set Top Box (STB) with at least one satellite tuner

I would suggest that you get a STB with two sat tuners and at least one Saorview tuner.
    That would allow recording while watching another channel, whether Saorview or Satellite.

Put a bit of thought into this particularly around
    recording requirements
    presentation of the channel list on one menu or on two separate menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, you'll need an external satellite dish to get any of the free-to-air UK channels, in addition to a satellite-compatible STB.

Advertisement