Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Q - unhappy

Options
  • 06-10-2020 3:37pm

I had Sky+ but during one of the storms back around March I lost my Sky. An engineer came out and upgraded me to Sky Q which solved the problem.

I have to say though, I'm very unhappy with it.

I find the interface at times confusing. I work in IT so am used to learning how to navigate interfaces.

I also find the remote uncomfortable because the number buttons are down the bottom of the remote. Maybe I'm supposed to embrace the voice activation and not use the number pad for navigating.

I was at home at the weekend where they still have Sky+ and the remote was so much more comfortable to use, and the interface you could use practically blindfolded.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I had Sky+ but during one of the storms back around March I lost my Sky. An engineer came out and upgraded me to Sky Q which solved the problem.

I have to say though, I'm very unhappy with it.

I find the interface at times confusing. I work in IT so am used to learning how to navigate interfaces.

I also find the remote uncomfortable because the number buttons are down the bottom of the remote. Maybe I'm supposed to embrace the voice activation and not use the number pad for navigating.

I was at home at the weekend where they still have Sky+ and the remote was so much more comfortable to use, and the interface you could use practically blindfolded.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

I have SkyQ about 15 months and I really like it. It is totally different to Sky+, but I just got used to it and now like it. As regards the remote, I dont use it, I programmed my tv remote to operate SkyQ and it's much easier. You could try that ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A few years back I got Sky Q basic as part of a broadband deal. After two weeks of torture, I packed it away in it's box until the contract ran out. I reverted to my Linux FTA box that had far more functionality, far better user interface, didn't track my viewing habits and didn't charge extra for basics like remote access, HD, streaming around the home etc etc. I no longer had to put up with "Hey Gerry you might also like... (if you pay us extra)" every time I pressed a menu button.

A few years back I got Sky Q basic as part of a broadband deal. After two weeks of torture, I packed it away in it's box until the contract ran out. I reverted to my Linux FTA box that had far more functionality, far better user interface, didn't track my viewing habits and didn't charge extra for basics like remote access, HD, streaming around the home etc etc. I no longer had to put up with "Hey Gerry you might also like... (if you pay us extra)" every time I pressed a menu button.

I'm glad its not just me then.

The interface is very confusing, especially with on demand stuff. I watched 3 out of 4 parts of a series one night, came back the next day and spent ten minutes trying to get the 4th to play. I'm not advocating piracy, but i could have downloaded it quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

I find the lack of integration a disaster like being able to join a live channel and rewind because your recording

• Advertisement

danny004 wrote: »
    I find the lack of integration a disaster like being able to join a live channel and rewind because your recording

Thats one of my many annoyances with it.

With Sky+, once a day when trying to go to the six one news at 6pm, it wouldn't allow me because the slot showed six one, but it didn't start until 6.01pm because of the Angelus.

Last night when browsing I selected a channel, and it said "This program has ended". tried to select the one to the right and it said it hadn't started yet, so wouldn't let me choose that channel. I had to leave the guide and input the channel number manually.

It feels a bit like its in Beta not a full release.

Advertisement