Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancel sky

Options
  • 31-03-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone any ideas on how to talk to someone at sky
    I need to cancel but can't get through to them they just cut you off when you ring they are blaming the covid 19 virus for being so busy ?
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

pepsimike wrote: »
    I need to cancel but can't get through to them they just cut you off when you ring they are blaming the covid 19 virus for being so busy ?

Looks like you can cancel by logging into their website. They’ll probably call you to convince you to stay before cancellation happens. You have to give them 31 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

pepsimike wrote: »

1800927476 Is a free phone number.

I actually rang them about 8.55/09.00am a few weeks back and got through straight away. Some others ring about 19.45 at night just before they close. Otherwise you could be waiting all day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pepsimike

Fann Linn wrote: »
    1800927476 Is a free phone number.

I actually rang them about 8.55/09.00am a few weeks back and got through straight away. Some others ring about 19.45 at night just before they close. Otherwise you could be waiting all day.

Good idea I'll try ringing a bit earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Elmo wrote: »
    Looks like you can cancel by logging into their website. They’ll probably call you to convince you to stay before cancellation happens. You have to give them 31 days notice.

Can you show the part of the website where you can cancel your package??

I couldn't find it and in fairness it would be most unlike Sky if they let people cancel their package on line!

Luckily I cancelled sky sports fully about 2 months ago, but now i want to cancel the whole lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Widescreen wrote: »
    Can you show the part of the website where you can cancel your package??

I couldn't find it and in fairness it would be most unlike Sky if they let people cancel their package on line!

Luckily I cancelled sky sports fully about 2 months ago, but now i want to cancel the whole lot.

Just wondering how you got on with sky? Did they offer you a sweeter deal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Went through this the last few days. I moved into an apartment in Dublin last May 2019 with the girlfriend and we got a new customer offer of €59 per month for TV & Broadband.

Class service, never any bother, good speeds etc.

My renewal was up in the next few weeks and they were looking to put it up to €95 PER MONTH!!! Mad stuff.

I did the usual shopping around on bonkers.ie and switcher.ie and you can get Vodafone TV & Broadband etc, virgin, all the competitors for €60 per month. I assume though this will be the same case with them next year.

I can't be bothered with the absolute switching match every year when I'm getting good customer service and product.

Managed to beat Sky down to €80 per month from €95 per month. I know it's still expensive compared to people who stream/with dodgy boxes etc but I believe it's worth extra than all the competitors. €80 is still dear!! But happy so I renewed with them. This will be my 2nd year with them so I'm hoping next year they'll refrain from increasing.. wishful thinking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

€240 per year is a very big difference IMO.

I would change for that kind of money!

I know what you're saying.. I just see it as not that much.. It's 2 nights out in the city if even, one big night would blow it all!!

Wouldn;t switch to vodafone etc for a lesser standard TV platform and user interface. Sky is the most expensive for a reason.

But at the same time the way they hold a gun to pubs' heads etc is completely wrong! They shouldn't be at the price they're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fireless

Contact them by E-Mail but keep copies of your mails as I have had problems where they did not cancel and tried to get me to return equipment which I had already returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I know what you're saying.. I just see it as not that much.. It's 2 nights out in the city if even, one big night would blow it all!!

Yeah, I would much prefer to spend it on ME on a night or two out! :D

Heck I would no doubt get three nights out on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Went through this the last few days. I moved into an apartment in Dublin last May 2019 with the girlfriend and we got a new customer offer of €59 per month for TV & Broadband.

Class service, never any bother, good speeds etc.

My renewal was up in the next few weeks and they were looking to put it up to €95 PER MONTH!!! Mad stuff.

I did the usual shopping around on bonkers.ie and switcher.ie and you can get Vodafone TV & Broadband etc, virgin, all the competitors for €60 per month. I assume though this will be the same case with them next year.

I can't be bothered with the absolute switching match every year when I'm getting good customer service and product.

Managed to beat Sky down to €80 per month from €95 per month. I know it's still expensive compared to people who stream/with dodgy boxes etc but I believe it's worth extra than all the competitors. €80 is still dear!! But happy so I renewed with them. This will be my 2nd year with them so I'm hoping next year they'll refrain from increasing.. wishful thinking!!

Out of curioisity, what is the breakdown in cost for TV and broadband? Might be cheaper to keep their TV but switch to a different broadband supplier. They don't usually offer bundle prices between the 2...

The gave me regular got offers via the Sky App. Some days they offered skysports for €20 pm, then some days €25, then other days no offers- seems to be the best way of getting offers from Sky

I suppose to get the best deai you have to cancel the whole lot. They won't let you walk away basically without plenty of tempters to stay but definately use the App.

nophd08 wrote: »
    Just wondering how you got on with sky? Did they offer you a sweeter deal?

The gave me regular got offers via the Sky App. Some days they offered skysports for €20 pm, then some days €25, then other days no offers- seems to be the best way of getting offers from Sky

I suppose to get the best deai you have to cancel the whole lot. They won't let you walk away basically without plenty of tempters to stay but definately use the App.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

we cancelled sky without any attempt at retention from them about 2 days ago. I think they can tell when you are just leaving or playing chicken with them for better deals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

I cancelled sky TVa few weeks ago, they offered to reduce bill from 45e to 30e. I still cancelled the guy said I would lose all my FTA and they would block the signal to the dish. I'll keep ye posted. I have FTA tuners I'm all TVs 😄
    we cancelled sky without any attempt at retention from them about 2 days ago. I think they can tell when you are just leaving or playing chicken with them for better deals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

mysky@sky.ie send email with account number, name etc also stating that this email is you starting the 31 days notice and they'll get back to you within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tech wrote: »
    I cancelled sky TVa few weeks ago, they offered to reduce bill from 45e to 30e. I still cancelled the guy said I would lose all my FTA and they would block the signal to the dish. I'll keep ye posted. I have FTA tuners I'm all TVs ��

They have no way of blocking signal to an individual dish, short of sticking a bag over it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They have no way of blocking signal to an individual dish, short of sticking a bag over it.

I asked the guy, and he said he didnt know how they would block it but said they could, I asked how and asked him did he mean block signal to the viewcard / Skybox and he so no to the dish, I said to him i doubt you can block signal to the dish and asked was their a MAC address on the LNB!! he said you will be blocked in 30 days!!
    he was spoofing!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I put through my cancellation. Paying €59(full price) since June 19(consequence of moving home - couldn't get offers as moving within contract). Said they could get it down to €44. 25% so I said I would consider adding multiroom so they asked me for €50 installation. (Plug it into a wall socket) so told them to just put through the 31day cancellation. Didn't even bat an eyelid. Will see what transpires with them during the 31days. I have till the 17th June to cancel the cancellation anwyay.

If you're with Sky for Broadphone and Phone then calling the 0818 is free anyway.

• Advertisement

Berty was that €59 for both or just one - broadband or tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Berty was that €59 for both or just one - broadband or tv?

Variety + HD (Full Retail Pricing for both)

They'll have contacted me before the 18th June anyway to offer me something anyway. Their team can't afford churn now because of the loss of Sky Sports subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

tech wrote: »
    I ... the guy said I would lose all my FTA and they would block the signal to the dish. I'll keep ye posted. I have FTA tuners I'm all TVs 😄

Have you checked those FTA tuners work?
    If you're still on older Sky or Sky+ HD boxes you'll be fine. If you've been upgraded to Sky Q your dish may no longer be compatible with the FTA tuners without changing back the LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KSnee

mysky@sky.ie send email with account number, name etc also stating that this email is you starting the 31 days notice and they'll get back to you within a few days.

I called them yesterday to cancel outright and was informed that there was an estimated wait time of 1 hour. Hung up, found this post and emailed them.

I got an immediate auto response thanking me for my email and amongst other things it contained the following line: "If you have written to cancel, don't worry, your notice period will start from the date we receive your letter or email."

Got a phone call today from SKY to confirm my cancellation and to let me know what the outstanding amounts to be billed would be (to cover the 31 day notice period).

Emailing them is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

KSnee wrote: »
    Emailing them is the way to go.
    What email address did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KSnee

muffler wrote: »
    What email address did you use?
    mysky@sky.ie

On Sky HD, so normal LND, and currently feeding 3 x TVS from the dish as we speak! all working well May 31st will tell the powers of SKY!!;);););)
    niallb wrote: »
    Have you checked those FTA tuners work?
    If you're still on older Sky or Sky+ HD boxes you'll be fine. If you've been upgraded to Sky Q your dish may no longer be compatible with the FTA tuners without changing back the LNB.

After posting on here about getting Sky down to €80 per month. I've thought about it over the weekend and it's still a rip off. €960 a year (at least)
    Not interested switching to Vodafone or any competitor as it's the same - it'll go upto €70+ per month next year like Sky, if it's €60 this year for new customers.

I am in my day 14 day "cooling off" period, as I officially signed up last Thursday 14th May for another 12 months TV & Broadband. So I assume I'm well within my rights to still exit this before 28th May.

I have a guy coming out to the apartment on Thursday who did work previously to a house in the countryside in Ashbourne for me. He was able to put up a dish on the house, do a bit of wiring, and I now have a "box" with a lot of channels on it.

Can anyone explain to me what's the best options to go with? He said today on the phone as I'm in an apartment block, there is probably a communal sky dish, so he will have to come out and do a test first to see what the options are.

I'm thinking I could save myself a good bit each year here - but my MAIN worry is will the signal be crap or will it be unreliable, i.e. maybe the TV won't work on certain days for a few hours. I have never had any interest in these dodgy boxes, family members have had them and the lag on TV is simply not worth it.
    This guy assures me this isn;t the case.

Considering my girlfriend and I both only watch TV in the evenings from 7-10pm it should be fine for us.

As you can tell from above I'm not up-to-date on the whole TV/Cable/Digital topic!!

*Explain to me like I'm 10 years old* springs to mind :D:D:D

As for broadband, If he can sort this TV issue I'll just go with the cheapest provider who are reasonable - except Eir/Digiweb/Pure telecom etc.

On our residents forum in Royal Canal Park, Dublin 15, the complaints about the above companies are never ending.

• Advertisement

Cancelled sky officially yesterday evening, 31 day’s notice. Contacted a guy that installs those tiviar alphaplus .

Low and behold just this morning, Sky ireland rang me - so first of all it was up from €59 per month to 95, I got them down to 80.

Then they ring back this morning offering €66 to stay for another year.

I sort of have my mind made up at this stage to go with the android box or tiviar, whatever they’re called. Just conscious of dodgy boxes though and the chance of interruption or lag. I’d put it out through the window

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement