Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir TV (eir Vision replacement - tvOS/Apple TV based)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The eir tv app is handy the way it supports pip (picture in picture). You can browse away on your phone while it is streaming elsewhere on your screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Very impressed with the service thus far. Plex and iPlaytv for sport just make it a complete package. It also doubles up as a very capable steamlink device.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very impressed with the service thus far. Plex and iPlaytv for sport just make it a complete package. It also doubles up as a very capable steamlink device.
    Is the lack of recording functionality not a huge issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

gmacww wrote: »
    So I've had some fun with eir. Missed a couple of calls from their loyalty team so called them yesterday. Now I have to say I've been with eir ever since they launched evision and have never had an issue with them. They've been great.

Yesterday - Get in touch with a man who sounded like he lost his lust for life never mind his job. Play the old I'm considering switching to Sky or vodafone or virgin etc... Ok here's your UAN#. Erm ok. No lets see what we can do or let me try to help you out here just, off you go.

Today - Lets give this another shot. Tell me about this apple tv offering. "I don't know anything about that product" allllllllllllllllrighty then. Handed around a few different people from tech support to broadband support (for some reason) and nobody has any idea what you can do or not do with the apple tv boxes. It was news to most of them. As broadband support asked me: "what's apple tv?"

So eir have been wonderful but jesus christ!

I was in a similar position. Been with Eir for years and contract was up so loyalty team have been ringing me, eventually took the plunge and updated my bundle with Apple TV (2 boxes). Before I agreed to renew though I was asking them on the phone a lot of technical questions about the Apple box and TV+, and they hadn't got a breeze. A few times she said i can check that for you and then presumably googled it and read off an answer which I already knew but most of the time she had no idea and didn't seem bothered about it.

Anyway, I'm a big Apple nerd so I was going to get the Apple TV regardless, and this deal with Eir is actually pretty damn good. Not only is it very good value for my bundle, it also gets rid of the disastrous Evision and basically lets you have to deal with Eir a lot less which suits me grand.

The Apple TV box is excellent. Very easy to set-up and extremely functional, using the iPhone as a second remote and linking with my Apple ID to sign in to nowtv, Netflix etc, automatically signing in to my Eir account, making it all very handy. Very impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Roland27 wrote: »
    I was in a similar position. Been with Eir for years and contract was up so loyalty team have been ringing me, eventually took the plunge and updated my bundle with Apple TV (2 boxes). Before I agreed to renew though I was asking them on the phone a lot of technical questions about the Apple box and TV+, and they hadn't got a breeze. A few times she said i can check that for you and then presumably googled it and read off an answer which I already knew but most of the time she had no idea and didn't seem bothered about it.

Anyway, I'm a big Apple nerd so I was going to get the Apple TV regardless, and this deal with Eir is actually pretty damn good. Not only is it very good value for my bundle, it also gets rid of the disastrous Evision and basically lets you have to deal with Eir a lot less which suits me grand.

The Apple TV box is excellent. Very easy to set-up and extremely functional, using the iPhone as a second remote and linking with my Apple ID to sign in to nowtv, Netflix etc, automatically signing in to my Eir account, making it all very handy. Very impressed so far.

Sounds good, but a few questions, are many channels in HD ? as in are all Irish channels and BBC channels in HD ? And the big one, has the recording problem been solved ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Have to agree the quality is very good. Rexordjng tbh is a non issue for me as I have the BBC player. The only.thing I don't like it the remote. Apple if you ask me are rotten at making things easy to use and the remote is a prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Have to agree the quality is very good. Rexordjng tbh is a non issue for me as I have the BBC player. The only.thing I don't like it the remote. Apple if you ask me are rotten at making things easy to use and the remote is a prime example

Attached are photos of the HD channels I have, BTW I'm now converted, love the setup now even with the gap in recording. Use Nowtv for sports and have netflix and prime on top of eir. Also 2 extra boxes for 10 each per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

tw0nk wrote: »
    Attached are photos of the HD channels I have, BTW I'm now converted, love the setup now even with the gap in recording. Use Nowtv for sports and have netflix and prime on top of eir. Also 2 extra boxes for 10 each per month.

Looks a good selection of HD channels to be fair, but recording or the lack of it would be a major problem. The BBC iplayer is geo blocked ( I wont ask how you are circumventing that problem 😉 ) and the RTE Player is beyond a joke, so as they say on Dragons Den, for that reason I'm out, at least until full recording is available for RTE and BBC channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

galtee boy wrote: »
    Looks a good selection of HD channels to be fair, but recording or the lack of it would be a major problem. The BBC iplayer is geo blocked ( I wont ask how you are circumventing that problem 😉 ) and the RTE Player is beyond a joke, so as they say on Dragons Den, for that reason I'm out, at least until full recording is available for RTE and BBC channels.
    Agreed on The RTÉ player, it is absolutely shockingly terrible. The only bring that is definite is the ads will play perfect no matter what, the actual content you want to watch is a maybe and rejoining where you left off, prepare to watch ALL the ads again and fast forward like the days of VHS

galtee boy wrote: »
    Sounds good, but a few questions, are many channels in HD ? as in are all Irish channels and BBC channels in HD ? And the big one, has the recording problem been solved ?

All the major channels are in HD by default. From the categories list I have 104 channels (basic TV package) and 24 are in HD. Doesn't sound like a lot but id say that's just the more obscure channels or kids or radio which aren't HD.

I haven't tried any recording options to be honest. Wouldn't really record much anyway except for sport if i'm out, but now thats mostly all through NowTV anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I've had it past few weeks and I like it and I like the way it's a lot cheaper than Sky basic tv packages.

On a negative side my wife would probably never get used to the touch remote.

Picture quality is excellent and I love the neatness of no satellite cables required and can plug and play instant around ND the house.

The IPTV smarters app works excellent along with my favourites YouTube and all 4 player.

I cancelled mine because be wife would never use it but I'm contemplating holding onto the apple box and letting them Bill me for it as I personally like it lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I've had it past few weeks and I like it and I like the way it's a lot cheaper than Sky basic tv packages.

On a negative side my wife would probably never get used to the touch remote.

Picture quality is excellent and I love the neatness of no satellite cables required and can plug and play instant around ND the house.

The IPTV smarters app works excellent along with my favourites YouTube and all 4 player.

I cancelled mine because be wife would never use it but I'm contemplating holding onto the apple box and letting them Bill me for it as I personally like it lots.

do you mind me asking what stuff you find yourself using the apple tv for? we have one (i have always had one to be honest) but mostly use for netflix and prime, anything i am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Cyrus wrote: »
    do you mind me asking what stuff you find yourself using the apple tv for? we have one (i have always had one to be honest) but mostly use for netflix and prime, anything i am missing?

I use Netflix, Prime, YouTube, All 4, RTE Player, Tune in radio player, Spotify, and IPTV Smarters

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Has anyone successfully activated the Apple Tv+ Subscription after getting the box from Eir. Offering me a 7 day free trial only (And A fiver a month after). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aliveireland

So what kind of prices are people paying for Eir Tv plus with Eurosport? agent quoted me 14.99 for standard for 6 months rising to 19.99 after and an extra 9.99 for the extra channels. is this what everyone with eir fiber packages are paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

My eir fibre package is €64.99 pm for 12 months on a 12 month contract

evision basic package
    fibre BB
    full anytime calls irl uk worldwide mobile etc

I have the following add on at the moment

6 months sports extra package plus HD for €19.99

If you want Eurosport its part of the €9.99 pm package

Just to compare evison with apple tv re tv channels only

basic evision was €14.99 pm with HD an extra €5
    Under the new Apple tv you pay €19.99 a month as HD is now included -so the TV platform price from Eir is working out the same

The extra channels were called the experience pack for €9.99 and this is now called eir tv extra still at €9.99

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Buttros wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully activated the Apple Tv+ Subscription after getting the box from Eir. Offering me a 7 day free trial only (And A fiver a month after). Thanks

The offer I understand should just appear in the TV app. You need to have your Apple ID set up and be logged in on your device. If all else fails I understand logging in to the Apple TV+ website on a web browser on your desktop PC/Mac should make it appear. The offer comes with every new iOS device, it isn’t specially an eir thing.

Mind you, I think you’d probably watch every episode of every show currently on Apple TV+ within the seven days...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Turns out I had to manually update the software on the apple tv then the 1 year free offer appeared.

Hopefully it gets something worth watching. For all mankind sounds like it has potential

icdg wrote: »
    The offer I understand should just appear in the TV app. You need to have your Apple ID set up and be logged in on your device. If all else fails I understand logging in to the Apple TV+ website on a web browser on your desktop PC/Mac should make it appear. The offer comes with every new iOS device, it isn’t specially an eir thing.

Mind you, I think you’d probably watch every episode of every show currently on Apple TV+ within the seven days...

I found this very confusing at the start. It's not really explained anywhere what you have to do. When I went into the Apple TV settings it said there was no active subscription which I couldn't understand, but I learned Apple TV works without a subscription, so you can explore everything like normal. To activate the 1 year free you just have to go to one of the Apple TV+ shows and click watch and there is an option to activate the 1 year free subscription.

See was excellent but only 4 episodes so far, I expect them to get a lot more good content soon. I'm actually surprised they didn't go for something really big like the upcoming Wheel of Time or Lord of the Rings shows which Amazon got. They need some big name like that.

I see Eir are now offering free Amazon Prime Video for a year, for new or existing Eir broadband customers. Doesn't actually say how we get it though?

https://twitter.com/eir/status/1194917892610916352?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Roland27 wrote: »
    I see Eir are now offering free Amazon Prime Video for a year, for new or existing Eir broadband customers. Doesn't actually say how we get it though?

How to get it -

https://www.eir.ie/primevideo/#how_to_prime

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Be careful with this. They are likely to tie you into another 12 month broadband contract. They are very sneaky that way.

No contract, no catches, it says.

There is a but.

If you are a broadband only customer, what you are getting is a years free trial- just like the Apple TV+ offer.

If you are an eir TV customer, it is permanently included in your sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Having gone through that, I still don't see how to add it through my MyEir dashboard etc. :o

You can’t use the app (for the moment). You need to log on with a browser. If you scroll down there will be a banner ad. You click on it. Then you’ll be taken to another screen with your devices and a button to add Prime Video (not sure why these two things are together, they don’t affect each other). Click the button and you’ll be taken to Amazon.com where you can either create an account or log in with your existing info and add the eir benefit.

Apparently, also part of the Amazon deal, there’s a free Echo Dot (officially €49 but regularly available for cheaper) for everyone who takes eir TV or broadband between now and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Is the lack of recording functionality not a huge issue?

Eir told me it was only BBC you can’t record..

List of what channels you can record here:

http://www.eir.ie/support/eirtv/eir-tv-channels/

It would seem you can’t record any terrestrial channel other than TG4.

Interestingly, further down that page, under “Start Over available in your home” there is a mention of an “eir Sport UHD”. A mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Eir told me it was only BBC you can’t record..
    Try recording RTE or C4/E4 and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

icdg wrote: »
    List of what channels you can record here:

http://www.eir.ie/support/eirtv/eir-tv-channels/

It would seem you can’t record any terrestrial channel other than TG4.

Interestingly, further down that page, under “Start Over available in your home” there is a mention of an “eir Sport UHD”. A mistake?

In that link, RTÉ2 +1 is mentioned. Can anyone confirm that it is on Eir TV? I thought it was only available on Saorview

Advertisement