Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scholarstown Wood Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I don't think the orientation (North, South) will matter, the better located ones will just be the ones reserved first, I'm in a Northish facing house, it never even occured to me to worry about this as the house was what I wanted.

Also, I wouldn't describe any of the prices as 'mental', I think Regency are being super clever here in releasing a comparatively small number in P1, at reasonable prices which will further put pressure for demand in P2, P3 etc., all of which will probably go up as each phase is announced, then you might see some 'mental' prices as they try to maximise profit in the final stages.

Well done to those lucky few who got in early!

Sorry i disagree with most of your points, anyway, to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pose Nicker

No problem asteroids, dissent is healthy, and being wrong is how you learn stuff!

It's just a pity you haven't got the manners to expain exactly what you don't agree with, instead of shutting the discussion down with that gnomic comment.

No problem asteroids, dissent is healthy, and being wrong is how you learn stuff!

It's just a pity you haven't got the manners to expain exactly what you don't agree with, instead of shutting the discussion down with that gnomic comment.

Gnomic comment!! Tut tut. I actually believe you have connections to the developer or the estate agents!

Paying 475 for a 3 bed with a north facing garden DEFINITELY is something that should occur to a potential buyer. These houses are expensive, the developer is not being clever with the pricing, your talking bull mate and are trying to scaremonger people into a decision. (Just my opinion of course, goodbye!)

Asteroids, that got you going again, super.

Sorry buddy, read the thread, I've already stated I'm a musician, with absoloutely no connection to Regency or Sherry Fitz, have never even used them to sell or buy my homes. You can't beat a good conspiracy though, I wish I was connected to either, I'd love to get a discount on those prices!!!!

Clearly, those wishing to purchase should try to get a South facing garden first, however that doesn't mean the units with north facing gardens won't be sold, I don't see estates up and down the country with vast numbers of vacant houses with North facing gardens, so in the end it won't be a factor.

Fact:- There are 38 units in P1, some have crap gardens, some have reasonable sizes, most are broadly East/West axis, some South facing and only one with a broadly North facing aspect (L-shaped) and it's reserved. The first ones to go were in the row of terraces, which are North-East facing. Do some research!

You say they are 'expensive', but by comparison to what, general house prices in the area? houses on the PPR? Prices pre crash? Prices post crash? Look at myhome.ie and have a look at the scarcity of quality properties out there. There's a three bed for sale in my estate in ok condition for 440K, an extra 30K will get you a resonably decent sized 3 bed in perfect new condition, a small premium for that luxury. 470K is a lot of money I agree, but you are not looking at the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Pose Nicker welcome to boards but please re-read the forum charter before posting again. Being civil and not stirring are basic requirements. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Well done to those lucky few who got in early!

Jaysus I'm getting an awful sense of deja vu.. you could lift a statement like that right out of 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Asteroids, that got you going again, super.

Sorry buddy, read the thread, I've already stated I'm a musician, with absoloutely no connection to Regency or Sherry Fitz, have never even used them to sell or buy my homes. You can't beat a good conspiracy though, I wish I was connected to either, I'd love to get a discount on those prices!!!!

Clearly, those wishing to purchase should try to get a South facing garden first, however that doesn't mean the units with north facing gardens won't be sold, I don't see estates up and down the country with vast numbers of vacant houses with North facing gardens, so in the end it won't be a factor.

Fact:- There are 38 units in P1, some have crap gardens, some have reasonable sizes, most are broadly East/West axis, some South facing and only one with a broadly North facing aspect (L-shaped) and it's reserved. The first ones to go were in the row of terraces, which are North-East facing. Do some research!

You say they are 'expensive', but by comparison to what, general house prices in the area? houses on the PPR? Prices pre crash? Prices post crash? Look at myhome.ie and have a look at the scarcity of quality properties out there. There's a three bed for sale in my estate in ok condition for 440K, an extra 30K will get you a resonably decent sized 3 bed in perfect new condition, a small premium for that luxury. 470K is a lot of money I agree, but you are not looking at the bigger picture.

So you've bought one have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

So this guy registered this month, has only ever posted in this thread and only ever posts compliments to the developers about the houses and their price point....... :rolleyes:

I'm convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Honestly €475k for a 3 bed is ridiculous. They are completely trying to cash in on the fact that the address is Rathfarnham. Dodderbrook and Abbott's Grove both have 3 beds for circa €360k and judging solely off the plans (although have seen Dodderbrook), I'd prefer either of them. And the pictures they have on the front - not convinced of the curb appeal of the house. I'm not sure exactly what your extra €100k is getting you. Personally would prefer to spend that amount on something else.

Honestly €475k for a 3 bed is ridiculous. They are completely trying to cash in on the fact that the address is Rathfarnham. Dodderbrook and Abbott's Grove both have 3 beds for circa €360k and judging solely off the plans (although have seen Dodderbrook), I'd prefer either of them. And the pictures they have on the front - not convinced of the curb appeal of the house. I'm not sure exactly what your extra €100k is getting you. Personally would prefer to spend that amount on something else.

Agreed, and they also look very poor build quality - very cheap, and the outside design looks very poor. Will not age well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Agreed, and they also look very poor build quality - very cheap, and the outside design looks very poor. Will not age well.

Did you gauge the build quality from a photo or did you see the houses can I ask?

I was at the open viewing also.

The 4 bed is the pick of the bunch IMO at 1,500 sq feet (approx), fairly nicely proportioned rooms and four decent sized bedrooms, good bathrooms and a small utility room, for 570K.

You are absolutely deluded - can you please explain to me how this is reasonable compared to:

College square new builds 2 storey 4 bed semi Ds (1,650 sq ft) were going for €650k in 2015 and built to a very high standard. Yes they were the edge of Terenure so closer to kimmage/templeogue but they were 10% bigger so applying that increase to Scholarstown Wood you'd get a comparable price of €627k to the above example.

So a reduction of 3.5% for being miles further out and a much more developed built up area, less amenities and much worse build quality and design?!?! Get real - there's no way these will go for those prices, until you show me them on the PPR I don't believe any of your delusions.

A fairer reduction comparison-wise would be €100-150k so this above example should be way below the €500k mark.

Did you gauge the build quality from a photo or did you see the houses can I ask?

Photos and specifications per their website - don't mind the spec if the price is right but those prices are absurd.

For example - upvc windows and doors - absolute bollox using those materials if asking €575k for a 1,500sq ft house. For that price you'd demand aluclad or wood.

Wooden fences instead of walls in back garden, no granite/quartz countertops in kitchen, plastic drainpipes on outside, no high end sanitary wear like villaroy and boch etc.

I haven't seen the houses but to be honest, if a developer is putting out brochures showing the houses then they should look fantastic and make you want to go see them. That's the whole idea. They should look possibly better in pictures than they do in reality as they have time to choose the best lighting and use software to touch up aspects on the computer afterwards. If it still doesn't look great after all that, I'm not going to waste my Saturday afternoon going out to have a look for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I know a lot of people are disgusted by the prices, myself included. I wonder though are the high prices simply down to demand? They've already sold most of them apparently.

Unless they are being bought up by investment groups who just plan to rent them out? I know a lot of pension portfolios would actually consist of new houses being bought up and rented out which are seen to be very stable long term assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

Honestly 475k for a 3 bed is ridiculous. They are completely trying to cash in on the fact that the address is Rathfarnham. Dodderbrook and Abbott's Grove both have 3 beds for circa 360k and judging solely off the plans (although have seen Dodderbrook), I'd prefer either of them. And the pictures they have on the front - not convinced of the curb appeal of the house. I'm not sure exactly what your extra 100k is getting you. Personally would prefer to spend that amount on something else.
    I would agree with you. Abbots grove starts form 369 for 3 bed house and I don't see much difference in both houses, of course I am not very expert to compare build quality but they look similar to me. I have been to both developments.

I know this development address is Rathfarnaham, but they both use same bus 15b and same motorway exit and they share same amenities. So are they charging nearly extra 100k for being in Rathfarnaham ?

They've already sold most of them apparently.

Until I see the prices on the PPR I don't believe that - either lies or people paying booking deposits and sale will fall through once they try to get money from bank.

Very hard to get mortgages these days despite bank marketing and approval in principle.

I'd be looking at Hazelbrook Square in Churchtown as an alternative and better priced IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

breeno wrote: »
    So this guy registered this month, has only ever posted in this thread and only ever posts compliments to the developers about the houses and their price point....... :rolleyes:

I'm convinced

If you have an issue with a post please use the report post function. Thanks

Mod

Folks, the facts speak for themselves.

I am deluded about many things (mostly my opinions), but of the 38 houses in Phase 1, almost all have booking deposits or full deposits paid after just two weekends viewings! These are the facts, not my opinions, if someone doesn't believe me, ring Sheery Fitz yourself, it's not possible to be deluded by facts!!!

And no I didn't buy one myself, the conspiracy keeps going.......

It is self evident that the demand I predicted BEFORE the viewings has come to pass. I stand over my original post, the entire estate will be sold off the plans as the phases are released. The reasons are simple, the pent up demand, designs, location, quality (go and see them!!!!), estate layout and mostly prices.

Now as I seem to be an irritant to some for daring to spell out the obvious here, and it is deemed possible to pass judgement on properties you haven't seen, I'm out.

Booking deposits do not equal sales. And no developer/agent will let you know how many of the full deposits have been given as that has nothing to do with a 3rd party. The most you'll get is that they are "sold" which means the set booking deposit has been handed over. Unless you're on a cancellations list, you won't hear anything else and even then it'll just be if one becomes available.

I don't think the "mostly prices" piece is correct. This is why Dodderbrook sold all of it's 3 bed semi-d's (and by sold I mean booking deposits on) in the first weekend of Phase 2 because the price of €360k was reasonable to people. €475k is not a reasonable price. And looking at where they are on the map, I don't see much being gained by way of location.

As the booking deposit is fully refundable, a lot of people put this down and then get into their mortgage process. However not many will have full mortgage approval in place within 2 weeks. Hell I know people who it took 4 weeks to get the full mortgage approval in place for a house when they had 30% deposit and there were no complications.

They don't look like bad houses, don't get me wrong. But they don't look like ones worth that price. And if we're back into that kinda of way of thinking of "must buy now" and "pay whatever" then we really have learnt nothing as a country from the past 8 years.

• Advertisement

Folks, the facts speak for themselves.

I am deluded about many things (mostly my opinions), but of the 38 houses in Phase 1, almost all have booking deposits or full deposits paid after just two weekends viewings! These are the facts, not my opinions, if someone doesn't believe me, ring Sheery Fitz yourself, it's not possible to be deluded by facts!!!

That means absolutely nothing since they're fully refundable. Show me proof (like link to PPR) of them selling at those prices then I will concede but you can't do that.

They're not sold until contracts signed and paid for <mod snip >

location, quality and mostly prices.

Location - poor.
    Quality - average.
    Prices - overpriced, bad value.

Go lookup College Square or Hazelbook Square for new developments that satisfy those 3 criteria because Scholarstown Wood doesn't meet any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Having viewed Abbots Grove/Dodderbrook/Scholarstown Wood recently there is absolutely no way the price discrepancy is justified.

In fact in my opinion the build quality is superior in the DB/AG, the scholarstown wood houses were through up with timber frame and know one can convince me they will perform as well acoustically.Also whilst walking around upstairs in some of the SW houses there was a lot of creaking and moving floorboard which are not acceptable in a brand new build, signs of a rush to complete to me. I have snagged LOTS of buildings over the years and the general quality seemed better in the other two.

Yes SW location is better but only marginally compared to AG imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Location - poor.
    Quality - average.
    Prices - overpriced, bad value.

Go lookup College Square or Hazelbook Square for new developments that satisfy those 3 criteria because Scholarstown Wood doesn't meet any of them.

Hazelbrook Square is an awful location in my opinion and way way way over priced. As is Scholarstown wood. DOnt know much about College Square

Hazelbrook Square is an awful location in my opinion and way way way over priced. As is Scholarstown wood. DOnt know much about College Square

I thought pricing per sq m was on a par with Scholarstown wood so location-wise there's no comparison for that money, Hazelbrook Sq far superior.

I thought pricing per sq m was on a par with Scholarstown wood so location-wise there's no comparison for that money, Hazelbrook Sq far superior.

Both are overpriced to me, Scholarstown wood though I feel has better schools in the catchment area than HB. Also the builder gave land to the council in HB to do as they please which is a big unknown could have som every colourful neighbours. Too close to busy roads. Yes having a shopping center so close is helpful but also dont like the bus service there as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you know the area?

In terms of transport Hazelbrook Square has the edge. But then so does Kilnamanagh.

Cost and properties being equal, I would choose Scholarstown over Hazelbrook every time.

seamus wrote: »
    Do you know the area?

In terms of transport Hazelbrook Square has the edge. But then so does Kilnamanagh.

Cost and properties being equal, I would choose Scholarstown over Hazelbrook every time.

I grew up in Rathfarnham (as in by Endas - proper Rathfarnham) yes so know it very well.

The luas is within walking distance of Hazelbrook (probably a good 20mins?) as well as being a few miles closer to town and in a mature area. Plus the build quality, design and fixtures are immensely better.

Have probably the best Supervalu in Dublin just around the corner as well as Nutgrove SC, good schools and Endas and Marlay are also walking distance.

I grew up in Rathfarnham (as in by Endas - proper Rathfarnham) yes so know it very well.

The luas is within walking distance of Hazelbrook (probably a good 20mins?) as well as being a few miles closer to town and in a mature area. Plus the build quality, design and fixtures are immensely better.

Have probably the best Supervalu in Dublin just around the corner as well as Nutgrove SC, good schools and Endas and Marlay are also walking distance.

I grew up in Marlay so I know the area well too.

I don't feel its walking distance to the luas at all, its a good 30 minutes walk and I dont think the schools are good. If it was in the catchment area of Devine word then it would have great schools but its not.

• Advertisement

I grew up in Marlay so I know the area well too.

I don't feel its walking distance to the luas at all, its a good 30 minutes walk and I dont think the schools are good. If it was in the catchment area of Devine word then it would have great schools but its not.

I live beside them, can get to the luas easy in 20 mins. I agree they are overpriced, i really like the look of them though, however the ones beside the apartment block are in a terrible location, gardens could be bigger too. Obviously a far better location than SW but indeed also over priced. Don't know about the school

Advertisement