Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I still have goodwill towards RTÉ due to Zig and Zag, and I'm almost 40. Big mistake by RTÉ in abandoning the younger market in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

RTE 2 repeating the fecking big bang theory @ 7pm again. FFS

Why don't RTE try showing movies on rte 2 weeknights @ 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why don't RTE try showing movies on rte 2 weeknights @ 7 ?

Maybe more expensive to buy in, not sure if it would make much difference in terms of audience.

IMO many of the late night imports could suit along with some marketing and promos for the channel.

Late night repeats of TBBT & The Simpsons from 11:30

While at 7 a lot of the US Network dramas could air such as NCIS franchise & Chicago franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They should be looking at something like a Blackboard Jungle, Where In The World and Know Your Sport type of quiz show for those 7pm spots.

Irish TV seems to have given up on quiz shows in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

What is up with rte1 on sky at the minute. Half of it is rte hd1 instead of the program

iseegirls wrote: »
    They should be looking at something like a Blackboard Jungle, Where In The World and Know Your Sport type of quiz show for those 7pm spots.

Irish TV seems to have given up on quiz shows in recent years.
    I have often wondered why they don't mass produce some cheep game show to show on RTE 1 daytime, far too many soap repeats and cookery shows on the daytime schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I still have goodwill towards RTÉ due to Zig and Zag, and I'm almost 40. Big mistake by RTÉ in abandoning the younger market in my opinion.

Well, The Den is coming back on Sunday at 6:30pm on RTÉ ONE and has Ray, Dustin, Socky and Zig n' Zag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

sugarman wrote: »
    Shocking scheduling.

I can only assume they're targeting the people who watched the den when small, not small people now...

Although, as I post that, I was thinking that a post watershed den for adults who did watch it could be quite good.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Although, as I post that, I was thinking that a post watershed den for adults who did watch it could be quite good.

Huge fan of Zig and Zag and The Den, but they always felt flat with pre-scripted material, hopefully its live and maybe interactive with the audience, otherwise it will just be Zig and Zag Bloopers all over again.

You'd wonder if its really a replacement for a Saturday night chat show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I for one welcome our new Zogling overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Time its on is grand. Parents and children can sit down and watch it together on a Sunday evening.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I get the impression it’s not really “The Den” except in name - as in don’t expect 1980s/1990s cartoons, or Echo Island, or anything like that. What we’ll likely really get is “The Ray D’Arcy and Zig and Zag Show” along the lines of the Comic Relief Sketch but stretched out to an hour. It’s a nostalgia trip for the grown up kids of the 80s and 90s, but the kids of today will he left to their TRTE and RTEjr (or whatever they actually watch).

icdg wrote: »
    I get the impression it’s not really “The Den” except in name - as in don’t expect 1980s/1990s cartoons, or Echo Island, or anything like that. What we’ll likely really get is “The Ray D’Arcy and Zig and Zag Show” along the lines of the Comic Relief Sketch but stretched out to an hour. It’s a nostalgia trip for the grown up kids of the 80s and 90s, but the kids of today will he left to their TRTE and RTEjr (or whatever they actually watch).

TBH The Den's different parts could easily make up an hour of TV.

It's going to be live and if it has phone-in games, and other parts of the den outside of the generally bad programmes it aired such as Echo Island etc

Really a chat show as it was.

It was first and foremost a wrap-around for children’s programmes, as was the style at the time - see also the similar CBBC and CiTV of the day. This was before children’s channels came on the scene (well, there was TCC even back then, but Nickelodeon and Disney‘s TV side were yet to make an impact in Europe and if you tried to explain to anyone what Netflix was they would have called it sci-fi).

This will not be that. It’s a nostalgia trip aimed at kids of the 1980s and 1990s, and should be good fun. But their own kids won’t be watching.

It was first and foremost a wrap-around for children’s programmes, as was the style at the time - see also the similar CBBC and CiTV of the day. This was before children’s channels came on the scene (well, there was TCC even back then, but Nickelodeon and Disney‘s TV side were yet to make an impact in Europe and if you tried to explain to anyone what Netflix was they would have called it sci-fi).

This will not be that. It’s a nostalgia trip aimed at kids of the 1980s and 1990s, and should be good fun. But their own kids won’t be watching.

It was a wrap around I will agree with and AFAIK it was produced by RTÉ Presentation Department for years.

But...

Between all of the wrap around The Den had various different items, from

Interviews with Irish & pop music acts and live performances
    Pop Gossip, Pet Vet, Fionnuala Sherry used to talk about the Orchestra, Astronomy Ireland, Nature, I think they brought in animals from the zoo also,
    A Bedtime Story/The Rotten Apple Club
    Fridays Fab Four (Music Videos), Ending with Music Videos
    The Arrival Of Podge, the arrival of Dustin, Dustin for President, the poultry party, Sketches (Remember one on an English farm)
    Jokes and Banter.
    Birthdays, birthday requests, competitions
    the yes no game show
    bring kids into local studios to play different games
    Draw with Don and kids art work

There is a huge amount that went on on The Den

Does anyone remember the mid 90s summer fill-ins for the den, Jump Around with Joe Rooney and The swamp with Rory Cobb

Elmo wrote: »
    It was a wrap around I will agree with and AFAIK it was produced by RTÉ Presentation Department for years.

But...

Between all of the wrap around The Den had various different items, from

Interviews with Irish & pop music acts and live performances
    Pop Gossip, Pet Vet, Fionnuala Sherry used to talk about the Orchestra, Astronomy Ireland, Nature, I think they brought in animals from the zoo also,
    A Bedtime Story/The Rotten Apple Club
    Fridays Fab Four (Music Videos), Ending with Music Videos
    The Arrival Of Podge, the arrival of Dustin, Dustin for President, the poultry party, Sketches (Remember one on an English farm)
    Jokes and Banter.
    Birthdays, birthday requests, competitions
    the yes no game show
    bring kids into local studios to play different games
    Draw with Don and kids art work

There is a huge amount that went on on The Den

And lets not forget the greatest segment that ever aired on The Den:

It must be just me but I find the whole Den thing to be embarrassing unfunny. I cringe when old clips of it get shown.

• Advertisement

It must be just me but I find the whole Den thing to be embarrassing unfunny. I cringe when old clips of it get shown.

No always happy to see it, but we tend to go overboard about the one singular piece of pop nostalgia we have weather it's The Den or Gerry Ryan

Though I think it's also down to Joe, her, extra, RSVP and other irish sites

The swamp was originally a Saturday morning show before a summer replacement

Anyone know when Dead Still is to be broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Why don't rte show old shows on YouTube channel. Surely make some money on advertisements

Also was there a change to tonight schedule of The Young Offenders?

Starting next week Sunday at 9:30

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Ray Darcy is a different person now and has lost his cheer and charm. He will probably spend the Den pontificating about healthy eating and complaining about the state of the country.

A rare use of the RTÉ News channel for sport today, Leitim v Mayo airing opposite Donegal v Tyrone on RTE2.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

Meh The Den is long dead. Bringing it back will be like 2Phat, dustins daily news or Zig and Zag Bloopers. Time has moved on I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

A rare use of the RTÉ News channel for sport today, Leitim v Mayo airing opposite Donegal v Tyrone on RTE2.

Yes, seen that today, good to see.
    I wonder why they never use the red button facility, I remember TG4 doing it before for rugby

Advertisement