Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase, get out of your contract early

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Got my letter, will be onto Sky & Virgin trying to get a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

its only here i read about the price increases and thought id give them a call
    no letter received but dont trust them at all
    so rang and was told they sent me a letter on 18 of august and i had till 18 sept to change, now its too late
    i asked for a supervisor and explained that i only heard in the media and never received a letter
    he says how do you know it was sent 18th of august? i say ur colleague told me, he says she says she didnt then i say she is a liar
    i asked him to listen back to recorded conversation and he says he is too busy

they are absolute scum desperate to keep customers as hostages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Anyone get a letter about their mobile phone bill increasing? Workmate told me that he got one today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I got the letter with the 5e increase today. Rang up to cancel and they offered me a new deal which would be more expensive than the current one even with the price rise.

When I told her I wanted to cancel she told me that she would remove the current discount and my final bill would be for the full amount. I currently get e29 off my bill. Talk about ignorant and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Does this apply to eir mobile aswell? I haven't received any letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Can anyone answer me this as I struggle finding it on their website? Do Eir offer rolling monthly contracts if you pay the "normal" rate rather than take a discount for a few months? Re-thinking my options - I'm at month 15 of an 18 months contract. I wouldn't mind the excuse to break it now and use e.g. Sky for TV (€30/month for 12 months and a free TV I might be able to sell) and then take eir BB just until Siro comes to Bray before end of year. Otherwise I miss the window and am committed with eir (and their clunky TV box) til late '17 / early '18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Owryan wrote: »
    I got the letter with the 5e increase today. Rang up to cancel and they offered me a new deal which would be more expensive than the current one even with the price rise.

When I told her I wanted to cancel she told me that she would remove the current discount and my final bill would be for the full amount. I currently get e29 off my bill. Talk about ignorant and petty.

Was this for mobile bill or broadband bill?

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Was this for mobile bill or broadband bill?

I've a mobile/broadband bundle. The letter said my package was going up 5e

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Whoever came up with the idea of sending these letters is a genius :D

I had 6 months left on my contract and would continue to pay €50 a month, while new customers are getting it for €35 now. They rather have new customer locked in and paying less than the loyal ones kept on a higher plan?

Add to that the CSR saying something along the "we own the network so it is better to be with eir if things go wrong with the broadband etc". Yeah, right.

Just to confirm if you are switching to Sky broadband there is a €50 router fee, unless you are already a tv customer. It is in the T&C's.Another poster didn't have to pay itfew weeks ago, but I did check the website and it is listed.

The total cost is closer to €35 a month rather than €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

wonski wrote: »
    Whoever came up with the idea of sending these letters is a genius :D

I had 6 months left on my contract and would continue to pay €50 a month, while new customers are getting it for €35 now. They rather have new customer locked in and paying less than the loyal ones kept on a higher plan?

Add to that the CSR saying something along the "we own the network so it is better to be with eir if things go wrong with the broadband etc". Yeah, right.

Just to confirm if you are switching to Sky broadband there is a €50 router fee, unless you are already a tv customer. It is in the T&C's.Another poster didn't have to pay itfew weeks ago, but I did check the website and it is listed.

The total cost is closer to €35 a month rather than €30.

Can you use you Eir router if you go to sky broadband?

• Advertisement

Del007 wrote: »
    Can you use you Eir router if you go to sky broadband?

I have a sky router already connected for two years now (older type that I got two years ago, working with eir broadband now - didn't even bother to plug in the eir one because it never arrived).

I was told I need to get this one anyway. Annoying, because I am 100% sure it will work without making any changes to the settings.

Sky can argue that they need you to have the latest one to provide best service and support possible blah blah blah.

It arrived this morning, only two Ethernet ports:mad:

And to answer your question - yes, you can, but they probably won't allow you to not to order one anyway.

Eir's current fibre broadband costs 35 euro per month for 6 months but then jumps to 70 per month after that, that's nuts.

Del007 wrote: »
    Eir's current fibre broadband costs 35 euro per month for 6 months but then jumps to 70 per month after that, that's nuts.

It is with free calls to Irish and UK landlines and Irish mobiles.

Their standalone broadband is 53 euro a month on 12 months contract (for a new customer)

They need to have their heads examined at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

Yay, got my letter from Eir yesterday €6 increase for the quad play bundle. Perfect timing as I am about to move house and my only option was to resign another 18month contract.
    So long Eir, back to Virgin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

got mine today delighted!! do they terminate you immediately? Back to Virgin I Go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

30 days notice. Did the same for my friend today and was told that ppl are getting letters in waves.

so question is, virgins offer ends on 2nd OCT what are they offering next?

I assume you can give a notice and if you won't be happy with new Virgin offer you can cancel it and stay with eir.
    Or you can pay eir and virgin for the same month if this offer know suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Today i rang eir to say i want to switch to sky and eir told me 150€ cancellation fee!! This was because last week when i got my letter i cancelled the mobiles except 1 which I changed from billpay to sim only and this activates a new 18 month efibre contract!!!

Spoke to manager and said I was never informed of this recontracting and was told I could switch anytime until the 18th next month. The implication was no penalty. They are reviewing the tapes now. Regardless I believe there is a 14 day cooling off period so I’m gonna cancel the mobile number tomorrow. Can’t see how they can then keep me in an 18 month contract.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Could somebody here please post a scan of their letter with personal details removed? I'm with EIR since April and would like to get out of contract if possible. I haven't got a letter yet and I'd like to know how long were people here in contract when they received their letters?

• Advertisement

Doltanian wrote: »
    Could somebody here please post a scan of their letter with personal details removed? I'm with EIR since April and would like to get out of contract if possible. I haven't got a letter yet and I'd like to know how long were people here in contract when they received their letters?

Be patient I think they are drop feeding them out

Doltanian wrote: »

Same as me- i rang them twice, first one i said that i have letter(which i didn't;) and she told me it was mistake, did the same yesterday for my neighbor(but he had the letter) and ask about myself and nothing on my account but we might get it soon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Are Eir looking for their broadband router or other equipment to be returned to them if you do decide to cancel your contract with them.

They do, if i remember well you have 30days after your contract finished to return it(freepost) otherwise around 60€ fee.

geraardo wrote: »
    Are Eir looking for their broadband router or other equipment to be returned to them if you do decide to cancel your contract with them.

Router and wires they told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Doltanian. Sorry I am not able to scan the letter but the number you ring is 1800 303 449. Monday to Friday 9.30 am to 5 pm. You need to have your account number & she will ask to speak to the account holder!! My letter is dated 15 th September & I must make the phone call before 16th October without penalty. 30 days notice so my phone is gone on 13th October. I have been with them for over 20 years but it states on the letter " you may withdraw from your contract without penalty within one month from the date of this letter by calling 1800 303 449".

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Duffers1983

got letter from eir and am ready to cancel. can someone confirm if i can switch my mobile number to another operator with out losing it ie switch to virgin and swap mobile to vodafone ready to go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This is just out of curiosity more than anything else, but if you have a contract for mobile which was with Meteor (now Eir), is the changeover of provider grounds for being able to get out of the contract?

I'd assume not since there's no actual changes in price etc. but it's just a question that popped into my head really.

I got my letter earlier this week.

I'll probably go to Sky for 30 euro per month. That's a saving of 180 for 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

So I rang to cancel but they couldn't do it. Said I need to order broadband from Sky and sim from Vodafone and would automatically be cancelled then within 30 days from today. Does this sound right? So I should just go ahead and order?

Advertisement