Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nookie Airhead Dry Top: Fully Dry?

• 06-08-2010 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Been looking at the Nookie Airhead as an affordable dry cag. http://nookie.co.uk/airhead/index.htm. (I can get it for around €120)

However it has a Ti-Glide neoprene dry neck rather than the conventional latex dry neck. Has anyone any experience with this cag? Is it actually a dry cag?

Any other recommendations for a cheap dry cag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

it'd probably be fully dry for a while but the neoprene neck will stretch and loosen after a while and let some water in. Have a look at the lomo dry tops they're well priced and they've gotten good reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I have a PEAK UK shorty with a neopreme neck. It has fastners on it to keep the neck pretty sealed and to be honest, I am more dry with that than I am with my Koalit dry cag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Neoprene tends to stop being waterproof after a while, you see it with spraydecks, after about 2 years they are often useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

the nookie semidries are bombproof. every bit as good as anything else available, and probably tougher than most.
    usually after 2 years any material regularly used will start letting in a bit of water. i am probably going for a nookie zone next. my nookie extreme has just crapped its latex seals. two weeks before i am due to go paddling abroad. such is life. my previous nookie cag was a semidry. about 10 years old at this stage. fairly dead. but was my alltime favourite cag. hate my reed chillcheater thing. only use it in surf now where i know i will be wet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -Aviron-

Thanks for the replies..
    Decided I want a latex neck seal..
    So Narrowed it down to either
    Palm Switch: €190
    Peak Deluxe: €200+
    Or the Lomo evolution €125

Is it worth the extra cash to go for the more expensive but more recognised brands, or should I take the plunge and go for the lomo?

• Advertisement

i've heard good things about the lomo and they seem to be getting more and more popular. From a few reviews I've read they're supposed to be very good

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

For the most part I have heard nothing but bad news about Lomo product, they seem to fall apart for no reason at all. Some folks love that they are cheap but you are getting a CHEAP bit of kit.

I've used loads of peak gear over the years and would always rate it highly, the NRS Flux Dry top is also worth a look costing around the €190 mark.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -Aviron-

Some Dry Top Reviews

also great outdoors have a sale atm on palm gear so you might get it a but cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

-Aviron- wrote: »
    I've this cag, which I've had for about 2 years now. I've had it out again recently with the lack of rain and mainly warm weather I'm wearing it instead of my dry-suit. While I'd of mainly used my dry-suit over that time, the cag has had frequent enough use. Great cag and no issues with seals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

yak stuff is solid.
    Lomo is every bit as good as other companies product with same features. tend to be cut for the broader frame though. legends of stuff falling apart for no reason abound for palm products as much if not more than lomo.
    people who have spent a small fortune on fancy gear or who have a stake in selling of said fancy gear will possibly exadurate the crappyness of such cheap kit. plenty of people are quite happy with their lomo kit.

yak stuff is solid.
    Lomo is every bit as good as other companies product with same features. tend to be cut for the broader frame though. legends of stuff falling apart for no reason abound for palm products as much if not more than lomo.
    people who have spent a small fortune on fancy gear or who have a stake in selling of said fancy gear will possibly exadurate the crappyness of such cheap kit. plenty of people are quite happy with their lomo kit.

I agree I know 4/5 people who have the lomo top and it's held up fine for them so far for them (they've had them about a year). Some would be pretty hard wearing on gear as well.

Advertisement