Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a few pool sessions: Dublin

Options
  • 06-03-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying desperately to prepare for a level 3 assessment on 27th March that is planned through Scouting Ireland with a view to qualifying to attend a course on Level 1 instructorship. If I don't get this assessment then I would likely work on my skills over the year and try again next year.

The situation is that I am learning pretty fast but need a few pool sessions to get sorted out on my roll and to practice sculling for support and high brace etc.

I have been attending intermittently (work commitments) at sessions with Voyagers but need to know of any other sessions that are out there to see if I could get sorted.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Richard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eastcoastkayak

Hi Richard,

I would suggest making contact with Eileen or Sean at Shearwater Sea Kayaking or Des at Deep Blue Sea Kayaking. Both have been running pool sessions in Tallaght recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Hi Richard,

There are a bunch of differant pool sessions going on around Dublin both during the week and at weekends. The main thing you might consider is do you just want a place to practice thats warm or are you looking for some coaching aswell.

If you are looking fro some coaching while in the pool you would do very well to contact conor Ryan in the ICU office and ask about the "Bridging Club" pool nights that take place in the pool in Cabra.

If its just space in the pool you want I know of a few differant ones and can pass you on some contact details.

You said you are doing this in preparation to take part in a L3 skills assesment later this month and then going on to do a L1 instructor course. I wish you ever success in your L3 assesment, but the thing to remember is that a quality instructor will make your assesment as much a learning experience as anything else and will want to help you do your best. I might suggest that you consider jumping straight on to a Level two instructor course as it may be more use to you.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Thanks guys,

I will contact those two sea kayaking groups on Monday to see what they have.

Regarding bridging clubs etc. I have been going along on a Tuesday night to the Navan Road for the last few weeks but am looking to see what else is out there probably with some assistance in addition. I have been getting great help there but feel if I can give it just one more push then I may just be able to pass the level 3 assessment. But even to know that I could find another session even with no help- that would be useful.

In relation to levels for instructorship- I am pretty happy that the level 1 is the probable one for me. I just hope I can work enough on the skills to pass the level 3 assessment.

thanks

Hi,

Shearwater are not running sessions at the moment whereas Deep Blue start again around the 24th which is cutting it really fine for assessment on 27th.

Does anybody have any other contacts for pool sessions?

thanks,

Richard

Hey,

Drop Colm in i-canoe a line, there are a few of use who have a private pool session in Clondalkin on a saturday evenings. The cost is split between those who attend, out of those that attend are some of the most experienced and qualified coaches around.

Colm might be able to put you in contact with one of the lads who might do some 1on1 coaching for a few €'s

Adrian

• Advertisement

Thanks once again.

I have been in touch with Colm and will be along to the pool session on the 20th.

I have also spoken with Conor at ICU and will likely do a level 3 course this weekend (did one at the end of Jan too) but feel that this intensive training would give me the best chance.

We'll see how it goes.

thanks,

Richard

Hey,

Thats good stuff, that thing to remember that there is no subisitue for quality time spent in your boat. So get out with your mates / club / etc as often and yoll keep progressing.

Adrian

Advertisement