Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thanks

• 06-02-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Thanks to Boards.ie for allowing us this new forum and thanks to all for supporting the request.I hope to meet up with some of the future posters for a couple of river descents this spring/summer.

regards , se conman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Seconded. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Yeah I add my thanks to boards. Used to kayak a lot when younger, do want to get back to the paddle

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Well done.
    It's really fantastic to have a dedicated forum here.
    Keeping all the paddlers in one place stops them mixing with normal people :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Git101 wrote: »
    Well done.

Im So happy this fourm was made :D i'll will be great for the discussion lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

thanks very much admins!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Git101 wrote: »
    Well done.

Have you not heard of www.irishwhitewater.com and www.irishfreestyle.com

A

Yes, yes I have.

Was that a quiz, did I win a prize ?

As in there are already some very active places for canoeing and kayaking why the need for another?

Spreading the resources...etc If you wanted some information it would make more sense to visit the more active places. Surely that makes sense?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Adrian, the reason there is a forum here is because the existing members of boards requested it. As it got enough support the admins created the forum.

This happened before you joined.

The forums here on boards aren't about providing information, although that does happen, they're about community. They've seen the start of drama groups, scuba clubs, regular snow boarding holidays, charity work and even a photography book. I'd make an educated guess and say that as the existing members of boards knew this, they wanted their own place within a community they were already familiar with.

You're pm to me was quite friendly but you're posts here on boards (both of them) aren't. If you're going to post here I suggest you get to know the community before you start complaining about their forum. If you don't like the forum, then don't use it.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    The forums here on boards aren't about providing information, although that does happen, they're about community. They've seen the start of drama groups, scuba clubs, regular snow boarding holidays, charity work and even a photography book. I'd make an educated guess and say that as the existing members of boards knew this, they wanted their own place within a community they were already familiar with.

Well put. I was just trying to word an explanation but yours is better.

I would also mention that boards has a successful athletics club and you may even see cyclists sporting boards.ie kit.
    For the above reasons and many more, there are loads of people involved in a variety of sports/hobbies/professions that are doing what they are doing because encouragement and information received on boards (myself included)
    The friendly and non-judgemental nature of most of the forums encourages beginners to ask questions that they be too intimidated to ask in other internet forums.
    Hopefully, the canoeing & kayak forum can help get more people involved in sports.
    Evil Phil wrote: »
    You're pm to me was quite friendly but you're posts here on boards (both of them) aren't. If you're going to post here I suggest you get to know the community before you start complaining about their forum. If you don't like the forum, then don't use it.

Evil Phil, I have to disagree with you here.
    I wouldn't have read adrianshanahans posts as unfriendly.
    I can see his point regarding "spreading the resources" in fairness, both site that he mentioned are an excellent source of information for paddlers but he just hasn't allowed for the boards.ie factor.

I'm off now to ask a question on the "outdoor pursuits" forum (they have a nice mod there :D)
    Could I ask the question on one of the other excellent hillwalking/mountaineering forums?
    Yes I could but I like boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Well done to thetonynator for his effective campaigning :D

Hey "Evil Phil",

Firstly I'm sorry if you took my post up as not being friendly, I can assure you this was not my intent. As always tone & meaning are always difficult things to gauge on an internt forum.

My questions / reply were genuine, I think Git101 took me up 100% correct on what I was asking. Perhaps I should have made myself aware of the "boards.ie" factor.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Dyflin wrote: »
    Well done to thetonynator for his effective campaigning :D

well i a had a feeling if the thread was just left there in forum requests it wouldn't be seen by many paddlers . . . forum seems very active though, especially considering most people paddle in summer, and not in february!!!

Advertisement