Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

Haven't been back to spend any time in the area for ages; Any news on

- The Munster Hotel

- The former Erin Foods site

- The potential ring road that was looked at around the back of Thurles Creamery- ie a semi continuation of the Jimmy Doyle Road.

- Have numbers increased since the college changed hands?

- Did the sale of The Brewery/Dwans fall through? (Passed through late one night/early morning and looked like nothing had happened)

Talk about looking for news - you can take the girl out of the countryside and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cathy427 wrote: »

- The Munster Hotel

- The potential ring road that was looked at around the back of Thurles Creamery- ie a semi continuation of the Jimmy Doyle Road.

- Did the sale of The Brewery/Dwans fall through? (Passed through late one night/early morning and looked like nothing had happened)

Talk about looking for news - you can take the girl out of the countryside and all that :)

a disater on all fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

- The Munster Hotel

-Still the same....

-Still the same....

-Still the same....

-Still the same....

-Allegedly now owned by the same business man that owns the Munster....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Grab All, It was only a matter of time before this happened..
    My wife used to regularly go to the park during her lunch break and gradually it was becoming overrun with the "I'm enti-held to dat" brigade
    Not long before park is a no go area for those who know how to behave in public..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Grab All will be taking a brief hiatus from this forum for being uncivil. There is no cause for those kind of comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Is there much student accommodation available in the town? UL Mary I campus a possibility for someone I know and he was wondering would getting a place be a problem without paying an arm and half a leg!

- The Munster Hotel

a disater on all fronts
    Oops! wrote: »
    -Still the same....

-Still the same....

-Still the same....

-Still the same....

-Allegedly now owned by the same business man that owns the Munster....

Thanks guys; is there even any indication of anything happening???!!! Even plans?
    Is the name of that businessman in the public domain or is it just local knowledge?

Does anyone have a good plan/sketch of what the new square is going to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Hi Cathy
    The owner of the muster hotel has had a few planning applications made, all have been scrapped except for the latest which is for a bookies...a disaster in my opinion.
    On the Erin foods site planning went in and was reapplied for a few years ago for a shopping development..i expect they will just keep tweaking the planning to keep it alive..while the site remains a very dead eyesore.
    The college seems to be doing well...I still can't get my head around Thurles being regarded as a "college town"
    Dwans/Brewery/Watermill allegedly sold again...not sure what the plan is..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Is the name of that businessman in the public domain or is it just local knowledge?

https://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/local-news/178751/Munster-Hotel-purchased-by-Martin-Healy.html

mikep wrote: »
    Hi Cathy

On the Erin foods site planning went in and was reapplied for a few years ago for a shopping development..i expect they will just keep tweaking the planning to keep it alive..while the site remains a very dead eyesore.

Thanks Mikep.
    Suppose the Erin Foods site is quite large and I assume its an all or nothing approach (ie develop the whole site or none of it; it wont work to develop part of it) so maybe they are trying to get timing right by keeping the planning alive? Only guessing. If I remember the planning was for another shopping centre - wouldn't have thought Thurles wouldn't have the urban sprawl to attract a Halfords/Woodies/Currys type of centre.

Was there also talk of a bridge over the river? Did they buy land behind it or were they hoping for a CPO to get access to the mill road.
    Is it still owned by Quirkes?
    mikep wrote: »
    The college seems to be doing well...I still can't get my head around Thurles being regarded as a "college town"
    Dwans/Brewery/Watermill allegedly sold again...not sure what the plan is..

Great that the college is going well. Hopefully the students (and staff) will spend locally.

They seem to be pushing sports so suppose that is an open door of interest for many school leavers.

Hopefully they can get well paying jobs out of it - the sport/leisure sector will probably grow I assume is the plan.

Did the son of a well know publican ever buy/take over the Watermill or was that just a baseless rumour?
    Large town centre premises so be great if someone could get it going.

Thanks Jim

Showing my age - how is Glessons corner doing?

• Advertisement

on a slightly more positive note, CM signs have moved into the old p and t building on the moyne rd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Any buzz around Thurles with the big Lotto win at Stakelums?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Any buzz around Thurles with the big Lotto win at Stakelums?

Lots of speculation as to which of the staff are and aren’t in the syndicate!
    Bittersweet for one staff member who won the money but lost her father on the same night.
    Easons in the SC seems to be THE place to play the lotto

Couldn't attach photo. See post below.

Front of this week's Thurles Community noticeboard is an ad for Harney's lane - coming soon to Thurles.

Anyone know where this is going? Presume it's a pub.

Front of this week's Thurles Community noticeboard is an ad for Harney's lane - coming soon to Thurles.

Anyone know where this is going? Presume it's a pub.

Is it what used to be clearys in Friar st?

whats going on with those road works. are they digging it up again

whats going on with those road works. are they digging it up again

They’ve moved the lights back up again because they’re tarmacing now. It’s the biggest pain in the hole ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I live just down from the golf club and those traffic lights were the bane of my life from day 1. So nice to have them gone at long last!

I heard the Munster is being made into a primary health care clinic.

Jackie Griffin's has been knocked and work is underway to build the car park

Mod Edit : Nope.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Was that woman with the pram on the road 20 years ago? She used to make it out past the Horse and Jockey during the summer. Never realised she was related to Jimmy. Poor woman used to terrify us wheb we were kids.