Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

Hi - I'm doing my pac application for the pgde and have a question about teaching subjects. I know that it should be perfectly clear what subjects you plan to teach,but...
    1) 1 of my subjects is a minority language so I don't expect to get any teaching practice or to have methodology classes covering it - should i still include that in the application or will it just cause confusion?
    2) I plan to teach history - but i need to take extra modules to cover the Irish history requirement - on the application it says to include only subjects that you are qualified for. I do plan to cover these modules through dcu oscail before applying for teaching council recognition - and i want to do teaching practice in history - but i won't be fully qualified while i'm doing the pgde - can i still put it in the application?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moved to PGDE thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

roe_cat wrote: »
    Hi - I'm doing my pac application for the pgde and have a question about teaching subjects. I know that it should be perfectly clear what subjects you plan to teach,but...
    1) 1 of my subjects is a minority language so I don't expect to get any teaching practice or to have methodology classes covering it - should i still include that in the application or will it just cause confusion?
    2) I plan to teach history - but i need to take extra modules to cover the Irish history requirement - on the application it says to include only subjects that you are qualified for. I do plan to cover these modules through dcu oscail before applying for teaching council recognition - and i want to do teaching practice in history - but i won't be fully qualified while i'm doing the pgde - can i still put it in the application?
    Thanks

You're not qualified in history so how can you put it down as a subject you are qualified in? If that was the case anyone could just throw down any subjects on the form and say they would do them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Why not do the history modules first and then the PGDE? It would be done in the same amount of time but it would mean that you could go looking for jobs straight after doing the PGDE rather than having to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

You're not qualified in history so how can you put it down as a subject you are qualified in? If that was the case anyone could just throw down any subjects on the form and say they would do them later.

But if I want to do it as a second subject for the pgde do I not mention it in the application (because I'm not fully qualified) but choose it when I'm registering for the course?
    (you have to pick 2 subjects and the issue of non-qualified second subjects has been addressed before) Really I just want to make sure that come September I'm not told - you didn't apply for that subject so you can't pick it now.

I don't want to wait another year to do the pgde - i plan to take the extra modules at the same time - or even the following year when i am already qualified in my other subjects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CiaranHdip

Hi all... Im wondering if any of you would give me advice?

Im considering returning to college In September 2010. I intend to complete my Hdip. My Question is this;

"Should i complete my studies here in Ireland or venture to England?"

What conversion courses must i complete on return to Ireland if I do indeed decide to study in England?

Finally, Can anyone recommend a good university to apply to in england?

I do apologize in advance if this question is a repetition of previous enquiries.

ANY help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iarmhii

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone would hav info on possible ways of obtaining extra points for the pgde app, as the points for subbing has now gone ? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Is there any realistic possibility of being accpeted on 2:2 degree given the likely high standard of applicants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 anneh2010

iarmhii wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone would hav info on possible ways of obtaining extra points for the pgde app, as the points for subbing has now gone ? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Is there any realistic possibility of being accpeted on 2:2 degree given the likely high standard of applicants?

I would defo apply as you never know. Your in with a chance.... As to gaining extra points I'ill be honest I'm not sure, I think the focus is on working with young people, coaching etc is favoured. Good Luck and Fingers Crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Just wanted to ask about the calculation of points for the PGDE (NUI).

If I hold a B.A (Joint Honours) and return to college to add another teaching subject, will my points be calculated based on the results of all 3 subjects?
    All examples on the PAC website involve only two subjects, so was just looking for any advice?

Thanks in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

how could one gain extra points for entry.
    how many points would you get for a 2:1 in a degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

All this info is available online

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

peanuthead wrote: »
    Great stuff, janeybabe, I will kick off with this one:

How do I apply for the PGDE?

To apply for the PGDE you will go through PAC, which is the postgraduate applications centre.

http://www.pac.ie

Colleges that use the PAC system are:

NUIM
    UCD
    UCC
    NUIG - as gaeilge option
    • For 2009-10 entry, the deadline was December 1st and the fee was €80. There is a late applications date sometime in January and the fee for that is €120
    • The system is very much like the CAO system for undergraduates and you will be allocated a number of points depending on your final year results (2nd year results if applying during your 3rd year) and any other postgraduate courses you have done (minimum requirement of a 1year full time course)
    • There are no longer points given for teaching practice, although its not a bad idea to have some done before deciding the course is for you.
    • The times you are in college and in school will vary from college to college.
    • The fees in 2009-10 were around the 6.5K mark.
    • You are not paid for teaching practice.

The other colleges that offer the PGDE in Ireland are:

TCD
    Application through the college. Interview and application based. For those doing Modern Foreign Languages, a portion of your interview is carried out in that language. In 2009 is cost €50 to apply through Trinity. Deadline was December 1st 2009 for 2009-10 entry.

DCU
    Application through the college. This is a part time, 2 year course.

There's a fee just to simply apply?

Which college is the best to apply to? I've got a degree in Science/Biology, and I can teach Junior cert Science and Leaving Cert Biology. I even did some sub teaching with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Keehar wrote: »
    There's a fee just to simply apply?

Which college is the best to apply to? I've got a degree in Science/Biology, and I can teach Junior cert Science and Leaving Cert Biology. I even did some sub teaching with it.

Of course there is an application fee. Think of this system as applying to the CAO when you did your leaving, its a very similar process.

I have heard very good things about the science methods teacher in UCD - Paul McElwee. Apparently he is an excellent person to learn how to teach science. I dont know about the other Uni's really. I have spoken to people who did the PGDe in Trinity and weren't very fond of it, a bit too academic in focus with very little practical experience. UCD has a lot of teaching inspections (7) which are ultimately beneficial for your development whereas Trinity has only 4 and some people I know only got 3 visits.

I have heard Maynooth is good also but I recommend you accept whoever offers you a place, its really competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went to an information evening given by the Teaching Council during the week at UCC. I left more puzzled than I was before I went in. I asked about doing a H Dip in history (Arts) in UCC for recognition to teach history on the PGDE. The guy from the Teaching Council said to me to do it and get UCC to say it's a degree in Arts :confused: I couldn't push him on it as the queue to talk to him was massive. He also told me I could register for some history modules through Ollscoil and take history on the PGDE. He said I would have a few years to complete 54 credits of history. I was under the impression I would have to have all the Ollscoil history modules completed before I could teach history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 inde

Hey everyone I am completing the application for the Hdip.

At the end of the form under "Teaching Subjects"
    It says: Please State Your Proposed Teaching Subjects which must be taken to degree level; there are three places? Do all three have to be completed. I took Irish and History as Joint Honours in my BA.

Dumb question, but would appreciate answer!

inde wrote: »
    Hey everyone I am completing the application for the Hdip.

At the end of the form under "Teaching Subjects"
    It says: Please State Your Proposed Teaching Subjects which must be taken to degree level; there are three places? Do all three have to be completed. I took Irish and History as Joint Honours in my BA.

Dumb question, but would appreciate answer!

Put down history and Irish. Some people may have three subjects from their degree depending on the electives they took (Business) or might have two degrees and be eligible to teach 3 subjects. I have Ag Science, Biology and Chemistry from my degree but it was a teacher training degree to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 inde

So I don't have to fill in all the three spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Hi, can someone tell me can i go straight from my degree to the hdip or do I have to wait a year as I havent got my degree results when applying. Ive heard that they look at your second year result but im not sure if thats the case. Im talking for both colleges in Ireland and the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

inde wrote: »
    So I don't have to fill in all the three spaces?

No. Just 2 for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Hi, can someone tell me can i go straight from my degree to the hdip or do I have to wait a year as I havent got my degree results when applying. Ive heard that they look at your second year result but im not sure if thats the case. Im talking for both colleges in Ireland and the uk.

If its a 3 year degree you are taking they look at your second year results in the case of Ireland. So you can go straight from your degree to your HDip (PGDE).

I'm not sure about the UK but they may make you a provisional offer which will then be offered providing you get the required results in your finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Ellen33

Hi everyone just want to clear something up.
    Was talking to a friend recently who is doing the PGDE. He told me that after doing the course you are only really qualified to teach the subject you major in (during the PGDE year) even if your degree is in two subjects.

Also, he claims that although he has a single honours degree (History) he can still in the future apply for jobs advertised for example for History AND French and be hired to teach both?

I am nearly sure this information isn't fully accurate - can anyone enlighten me on this?

Ellen33 wrote: »
    Hi everyone just want to clear something up.
    Was talking to a friend recently who is doing the PGDE. He told me that after doing the course you are only really qualified to teach the subject you major in (during the PGDE year) even if your degree is in two subjects.

Also, he claims that although he has a single honours degree (History) he can still in the future apply for jobs advertised for example for History AND French and be hired to teach both?

I am nearly sure this information isn't fully accurate - can anyone enlighten me on this?

Your friend doesn't really know what he is talking about. If both of your subjects are recognised by the Teaching Council, then you would do both on the PGDE and be qualified in both.

The History/French thing. If he isn't even qualified in French, he wouldn't get a sniff at the interview not to mind get the job. Nobody is going to hire a person for two subjects when they are only qualified in one, particularly when there are plenty of people qualified in the two subjects.You can be asked to teach anything once you are hired by the school, but when you are initially applying for an advertised job eg. History/French you will need to be qualified in both subjects.

To be honest I think your friend is trying to fool himself into thinking he'll get a job at the end of all this. He's only got History with no other subject and History teachers are ten a penny and have been for the last 20 years. Most of them also have English or another Arts subject in their degree so they would get a job ahead of him, more than likely.

That is what I said but he is convinced that although he has only History if a job was advertised for History and another subject then he could "give the second subject a go" and would be hired. I was thinking well if that's the case why would anyone put themselves through a double honours degree if it doesn't put you ahead of those with just the one subject?

The other age old opinion seems to be that "I took SPHE/CSPE/English/Music as my minor in the PGDE therefore I can now teach it" - I have heard this from many!

That is what I said but he is convinced that although he has only History if a job was advertised for History and another subject then he could "give the second subject a go" and would be hired. I was thinking well if that's the case why would anyone put themselves through a double honours degree if it doesn't put you ahead of those with just the one subject?

The other age old opinion seems to be that "I took SPHE/CSPE/English/Music as my minor in the PGDE therefore I can now teach it" - I have heard this from many!

You're pretty spot on there with your assessment Ellen. Sure if that was the case, wouldn't we all just do the PGDE regardless of our degrees and give anything a go. It's one thing for people to pass comment like that who have no connection to teaching and don't know what they are talking about but it depresses me to hear it from people training to be teachers.

He hasn't a hope of getting called for interview if he doesn't have the second subject, unless it is a job in SPHE/CSPE :)

There was a maternity leave advertised in my school last week, Business and Computing. Forty applied for the job. To be honest I was surprised more hadn't applied, but I don't know if it was in the national papers, I only saw it on the VEC website.

I know I totally agree :( I'm hoping this is just his way of making himself feel better and not actual fact of what they are being told on the course.

Would I be right in saying that it will be hard for him to get work given the fact he has just the one subject?

I know I totally agree :( I'm hoping this is just his way of making himself feel better and not actual fact of what they are being told on the course.

Would I be right in saying that it will be hard for him to get work given the fact he has just the one subject?

Yes, I'm sure you've read the other threads and posts, people are having a hard time finding teaching hours in all subjects, with experience and more than one subject. He could be lucky, but he'll be up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Hi im applying for the dip this year too and was just wondering do you need references for the application on pac (i dont think we did last year but im trying to remember). Also, is the Trinity one just online now this year aswell (although it is a seperate application). Anyone know if you need references for trinity, i know we def did last year. Im having trouble accessing the application but maybe its just my internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Does anyone have any info on the UCC PGDE?

How is the week divided between university and teaching practice?
    Are there set parametres for TP schools in the area, or can you undertake TP anywhere?
    What's the workload like, compared to other PGDE courses you've heard about?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bananaskin

Hey,
    has anybody got a list of the uni/colleges offering the hdip/pgde in ireland for 2011? part time and full time?
    cheers
    g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

bananaskin wrote: »
    has anybody got a list of the uni/colleges offering the hdip/pgde in ireland for 2011? part time and full time?

Page one of this thread.

Advertisement