Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veg plans for 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thank you Celtic rambler. I've had a better look online to see how to do it. I'm planning on giving the currants and blueberries a go this weekend. As for the raspberries, I'm not as bothered with bringing them with me. They are in a bigger mess and I won't have the time or a spot for them this year, so I might just leave them behind and start from scratch next year.

I dug up the rhubarb today. I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting the roots to be as they are! I've left the weakest of the two plants in one piece and split the stronger one into 3 pieces. I've probably killed them, but if I haven't I'll hopefully have 4 rhubarb plants to pick in a couple years time!

I got some chive and cress seeds to sow with the toddler tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can get them to grow as 'grass heads', you know where you sow grass into the end of tights and make a face and hair out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Here is one after being treated and soil in. There are 12 beds altogether and I've garlic in one that is shooting up. I've no idea what to put in the others or when to plant it!

How did you fill the beds with soil? Did you put out sheeting at the bottom with holes for drainage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Bought seed potatoes (1 x earlies, 1 x main crop) and onions sets at the weekend so was told to plant them indoors in the dark for a couple of weeks until the weather improves a bit.

Bought seeds also today:

Leeks
    Celery
    Brocolli
    Cauliflower
    Carrots
    Rocket
    Lavender
    Basil (to be planted indoors)

Do any of these need to be grown indoors first or will I just plant them directly in the soil once it gets a bit warmer / dryer?

Thanks

I've never grown brassicas or lavender from seed so I can't comment specifically on them, but from your list the only thing that you will need to grow outside, or can't/shouldn't start off indoors is the carrots. They don't like to be disturbed. I don't sow mine till June either, to avoid the worst effects of carrot fly.

After that you can start stuff inside or not, waiting may delay/shorten your growing season depending on when the weather picks up, but waiting can mean less fluttering about with transplanting etc. Leeks afaik need a long growing season, so I do always start them inside in a seed tray.

PLanted 3 types of pumpkins,butternut squash and romanesco cauliflower.
    Will give it a month and plant the same again so I get a bit of a staggered harvest.
    Have a few brussel sprout seedlings coming up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭MacDanger

PLanted 3 types of pumpkins,butternut squash and romanesco cauliflower.
    Will give it a month and plant the same again so I get a bit of a staggered harvest.
    Have a few brussel sprout seedlings coming up too.

Indoors I take it?

Oh for sure!
    The sprouts are in the greenhouse with frost protection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just planted tomato seeds, saved from last year as advised by Self Sufficient Me on YouTube :), Rocket, Spinach and Pak Choi.
    In special seed compost and indoors at the moment to warm the whole lot up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Too cold to plant any seeds outside...even in the green house midnight/morning temperatures lower than 5 degrees affects the life of poor seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Certainly growing spinach this year. At least it will add flavour to the pasta we will all be eating in a few months....

• Advertisement

Certainly growing spinach this year. At least it will add flavour to the pasta we will all be eating in a few months....

Basil too

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Set spuds in haybales today... first time trying the bales. Anyone used them before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Set spuds in haybales today... first time trying the bales. Anyone used them before

How's that work ? Like hydroponics with a liquid feed ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    How's that work ? Like hydroponics with a liquid feed ?

Bales need to be well soaked... using old school.square bales, bone meal and fertilizer added over past few days to encourage decomposition, milk cartons to drop feed, 6 spuds per small bale... first time doing it, going to try tomatoes also. And straw bale tower for strawberries. Bales bought cheap at the moment and less than a bag of compost. Our soil heavy clay and difficult to dig so hoping this a better alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not exactly, but I have grown them under old hay cleared out of a barn, topped off with black plastic. Won't use the plastic again (am aiming for zero-plastic in the garden, other than pots) but I've just made a long heap of grass clippings as part of my ongoing experiments to find the least laborious way of growing a decent crop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The potatoes are going in today/tomorrow, I'm not growing many so I'll probably do them in a couple of large containers rather than a ground bed.

And I'll do some salad green seeds in trays as well. Might make a mini greenhouse to see if I can speed them a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

The potatoes are going in today/tomorrow, I'm not growing many so I'll probably do them in a couple of large containers rather than a ground bed.

And I'll do some salad green seeds in trays as well. Might make a mini greenhouse to see if I can speed them a bit

Which county are you in. I'm in Dublin, due south facing garden and think its a bit early for spuds, it has been very cold these last few nights. Was planning on waiting till the end of March...

Any other thoughts out there?

Just for info - I have loads and loads of salads that have over wintered very well, been picking some every other day. Mostly Chinese greens/mustards but also the likes of Winter Purslane & Lambs Lettuce.

We have some salads that have been over wintered too.
    Got a good crop of radish over winter but they were a bit on the small side!

Have romanesco cauliflower seedlings well on their way and 3/4 types of pumpkins flying up.
    Tomatoes/brussel sprouts are in the GH and are doing well.
    Keeping the GH above 5degrees,had a frost this morning surprisingly.
    Have a new large pumpkin patch under construction too.

whelzer wrote: »
    Which county are you in. I'm in Dublin, due south facing garden and think its a bit early for spuds, it has been very cold these last few nights. Was planning on waiting till the end of March...

Any other thoughts out there?

Just for info - I have loads and loads of salads that have over wintered very well, been picking some every other day. Mostly Chinese greens/mustards but also the likes of Winter Purslane & Lambs Lettuce.

I'm in Waterford facing south, the spuds are chitting so I'm not going to hang about.

Are the salad greens under protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I'm in Waterford facing south, the spuds are chitting so I'm not going to hang about.

Are the salad greens under protection?

No - so it has been a battle with pigeons. Interestingly enough they did not touch the two types of kale I have (one red, one green). Picked at all the salad and turnips.

I did do a whole string effort with bits of shiny insulation attached - kind of worked. They have stopped now - presume there is food elsewhere.

I always have something new (to me) in the ground, last autumn it was Komatsuna "Rapido". Pigeons absolutely destroyed it when they got the chance. Its obviously hardy enough and the plants I have are thriving - might pick some this weekend!

• Advertisement

Kale is probably a bit bitter for pigeons who, I hear have a sweet tooth ;)

I have a great crop of lamb's lettuce this year. Two lines of about 5m in open ground (beside an equally great crop of beetroot and parsely. I started picking at it back in December to thin it out; now I'm ripping it out in handfuls! It must be close to the end now, but hopefully I'll get another month out of it.

Unless President Macron bans cross-country travel tonight, I have to work away for a fortnight, just as my incubated seedlings are germinating and getting a bit leggy. I've moved my pumpkins, gerkhins and tomatoes outside, putting them into holes in that heap of grass that I laid out the other day, and covering the plants and grass with a mini tunnel. I'm counting on the heat of decomposition to keep any frost at bay (I didn't measure it, but after just two days the base of the heap feels like it's about 15°C or more).

Our forecast here (central France) is for a two weeks of sun with temps in the high teens, so I've taken a chance and sowed a few lines of carrots today, along with a line of peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In the north east here exposed at 650ft. We get frosts into mid May.

Usually don’t do much in the polytunnel until second week in April.

However with kids off I got a supply of seeds and plan is to stick a 30w bulb over one bed to keep it frost free, on a timer to run probably 8-8, will only cost a few bob to run and should help get things going.

We've been blaming our two cats for digging up lettuce for the last few months but it turns out it's been the black birds.
    Funnily enough they haven't touched the red lettuce.

I think they have eaten the sweet pen we sewed outdoors too .

_Brian wrote: »
    In the north east here exposed at 650ft. We get frosts into mid May.

Usually don’t do much in the polytunnel until second week in April.

However with kids off I got a supply of seeds and plan is to stick a 30w bulb over one bed to keep it frost free, on a timer to run probably 8-8, will only cost a few bob to run and should help get things going.

Same here with kids... got the older one building a chicken coop and hoping to get laying pullets. The younger ones setting seeds ... I think getting them out and busy is going to be important for all of us.
    We are lifting a herb bed today that got out of hand, reporting into large pots and using bed for veg...
    Was hoping today would be bit warmer but not looking good so far.

Just reading the QuickCrop newsletter and the no dig method of potato crops - looks like a good idea and I have the idea spot for it think I'll do that.

TLDR of article - dump 6 inches of compost on your prepped soil bed area, sow spuds as per but only to a depth of 6 inches and then build the bed up with composting material as the spuds develop. Harvesting is as easy as can be with no heavy earth getting in the way. Plus excellent growing medium for next crop on that bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Same here with kids... got the older one building a chicken coop and hoping to get laying pullets. The younger ones setting seeds ... I think getting them out and busy is going to be important for all of us.
    We are lifting a herb bed today that got out of hand, reporting into large pots and using bed for veg...
    Was hoping today would be bit warmer but not looking good so far.
    I made a herb garden out of 4 euro pallets.

I made a herb garden out of 4 euro pallets.

Thanks.. good idea..kind of regret I let my herbs go, a herbalist friend recommending thyme rosemary sage boiled drank as a tea in this current climate. Wish I had harvested more ..

Herb gardens seem (to me, at least) to need an awful lot more time than all the rest of the veg garden. I had one, beautifully laid out with loads of different culinary and medicinal herbs, that seemed like a great idea when the whole family was here ... but as soon as the children got fed up with being used as cheap labour, it became unmanageable.

In recent years, I've taken to throwing one type of herb or another in with the regular veg so at least I can grab a few handfuls when I've finished weeding or thinning or harvesting.

That said, I'm hoping that one or other of the garden centres or supermarkets here sell off their lavender and rosemary cheap once the lockdown is over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Herb gardens seem (to me, at least) to need an awful lot more time than all the rest of the veg garden. I had one, beautifully laid out with loads of different culinary and medicinal herbs, that seemed like a great idea when the whole family was here ... but as soon as the children got fed up with being used as cheap labour, it became unmanageable.

In recent years, I've taken to throwing one type of herb or another in with the regular veg so at least I can grab a few handfuls when I've finished weeding or thinning or harvesting.

That said, I'm hoping that one or other of the garden centres or supermarkets here sell off their lavender and rosemary cheap once the lockdown is over.

I got some lavender in Lidl last week. Would love more but it needs to reduce in price

Advertisement