Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird noise from sky

• 06-12-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not strictly weather related but just had a very strange experience here.

For the last 10 minutes, and very deep 'droning' sound was heard outside, so deep in fact, that the chair I was sitting on vibrated. Went outside, as did others in the street, and the sound clearly was coming from the sky, but such was the nature of the sound, it was hard to pinpoint a specific point. The sound itself was constant, but the deeper sounds came in specific 'waves'. I am sorry I wasn't quick thinking enough to record it but it was very weird and very very eerie.

Anyone any ideas? Is the current state of the atmosphere making the sound of ordinary jets sound stranger than they normally would be? or have the Russians decided to go all out?? :eek: I jest of course but this was no normal aircraft sound.

New Moon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

It’s an AN22 routing Gander to Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The red and white Air Sea Rescue helicopter flew low by here on a wet and windy day last year and sounded exactly like that
    It was heading for to airlift a patient from a crash on the nearby motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The red and white Air Sea Rescue helicopter flew low by here on a wet and windy day last year and sounded exactly like that
    It was heading for to airlift a patient from a crash on the nearby motorway

Know that sound well BB, as those helicopters fly over here fairly regularly, and indeed produce a very ominous sound as they approach, but this was something way way bigger.

To the previous poster. Looked that plane up just now, massive yoke. Was it due to fly over the west of Ireland tonight? Those destination codes I just can't fathom out. :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gander is in Newfoundland, Canada, Man is Manchester.

Route of that Antonov An-22 from flight radar:

plane.png

Flew almost directly overhead, but Christ, it must be one fast plane considering that it is now coming into Manchester!

New Moon

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Gander is in Newfoundland, Canada, Man is Manchester.

Cheers Alun, eventually worked it out from Flight Radar.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Know that sound well BB, as those helicopters fly over here fairly regularly, and indeed produce a very ominous sound as they approach, but this was something way way bigger.

To the previous poster. Looked that plane up just now, massive yoke. Was it due to fly over the west of Ireland tonight? Those destination codes I just can't fathom out. :o

Yes it flew over here last week heading to Cuba from Manchester I think. It’s the largest turboprop aircraft in the world. Apologies for not explaining where those places are!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think I heard it too in skerries, deep droning sound around that time, wondered what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Antonov An-22 "Antei (NATO reporting name "Cock") :pac:

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I think I heard it too in skerries, deep droning sound around that time, wondered what it was

Relieved that it was of a benign source. Had it in mind that maybe something more sinister was going on given the developments in the M.E today. :cool:

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Crap, I was hoping it was Aliens.

Sound was something like this alright, only 'dronier' and wavier.

What a colossal beast of a machine really.

The fact that it caused vibrations even in the house is amazing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Up close with the AN-22, note the flames from the engine on start up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think the obvious answer is it was in fact Ailens, but when they saw what a kip Tuam is they decided to head back into space:P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what are the main benefits of prop planes over jets?

When speed isnt a factor, eg that AN 22 was used to bring an engine for an a330,the main reason for preferring turboprop engines over pure jet engines is that turboprop engines deliver more power and greater efficiency at slower flying speeds than jet propulsion.
    The AN-22 that passed over earlier has the capability to takeoff from rough and short airstrips, this is achieved by four pairs of contra-rotating propellers. The engines generate significant thrust, and produce a slipstream over the wings and large double-slotted flaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Jacoby Victorious Trait

Crap, I was hoping it was Aliens.

To be fair the red top tabloids have been running 'booms in the sky' stories over the last few weeks, occurring around the world.

741 mph sonic booms or some sort of ionic skyquakes?

There was a few meteorites/fireballs burning up recently, but nothing of any sizeable note...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If it is aliens someone should probably call Will Smith seeing as he has so much experience in saving us from aliens

Inside the back of the one that flew over this evening upon arrival at Manchester, massive!
    24774772_10215269181951330_8869807381784884979_n.jpg?oh=b152e7b38b5dad802f3e5700ae7980a4&oe=5AD1627C

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Inside the back of the one that flew over this evening upon arrival at Manchester, massive!

thats as bloody big as a hanger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I posted about it in the aviation forum when it passed over me here in north Dublin. At the time it was flying at 27,000ft with an indicated airspeed of 380knots. The drone went in for nearly 10minutes and came and went in waves. I'd have liked to have seen it from the ground but darkness and cloud put paid to it. The bulk of the noise stems from the fact that - as Oscar Bravo put it above - it uses contra rotating propellers on each engine. Russian props are not quiet at the best of times but this particular machine takes noise to new levels. The Russian airforce still uses a number of large "legacy" propeller powered aircraft and all have the same predisposition to making lots of noise! (Google Tupelov 95 and see what I mean :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Route of that Antonov An-22 from flight radar:

plane.png

Flew almost directly overhead, but Christ, it must be one fast plane considering that it is now coming into Manchester!

Its ground speed was around 370 knots, and that was with around a 50-knot tailwind at its cruising level of FL270. Much slower than say a Ryanair 737, which would be doing around 500 knots at the same level.

She's some machine alright, with her alternating double props generating that low-frequency hum. But she's nothing compared to her big cousin, the An-225 (Mriya).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

I too heard this over head this evening here in the midlands... I checked flightradar to find it the Antonov AN-22 as others have mentioned.

Wonder why its making so many trips to Manchester lately?

I see it used for moving military machinery.... someone getting new equipment i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Why am I not surprised that aviation and meteorology are mutual interests among many !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I too heard this over head this evening here in the midlands... I checked flightradar to find it the Antonov AN-22 as others have mentioned.

Wonder why its making so many trips to Manchester lately?

I see it used for moving military machinery.... someone getting new equipment i wonder

Trump getting more ordinance to Israel, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Extra weight due to special shipment of shirts for the big guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Arianna White Liar

Why am I not surprised that aviation and meteorology are mutual interests among many !:)

Just wait till December 24th;)

Another weird plane sound droning from the dark skies here at the mo. Looked on 'Flight Radar' and it is a similar, if smaller plane what caused the freaky sound that prompted me to open this thread last winter.

People in the midlands and east should hear something weird soon as the 'Antonov An-12BK flies over soon. Still droning away here even though plane is well over the midlands by now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Another weird plane sound droning from the dark skies here at the mo. Looked on 'Flight Radar' and it is a similar, if smaller plane what caused the freaky sound that prompted me to open this thread last winter.

People in the midlands and east should hear something weird soon as the 'Antonov An-12BK flies over soon. Still droning away here even though plane is well over the midlands by now.

noway, I thought it was people heading to penny's for sandals and socks. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

the An-12............... one agricultural aircraft steered by real pilots... none of your nancy `autopilot` here!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkRP00ubHU

Advertisement