Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Aiden - Saturday October 31st

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Hopefully it buckets down and washes the scum off the streets who cause mayhem every year around bonfires and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Lads I bought a barometer there a week ago today has rained some amount but the barometer says it's at change towards fine weather
    but the weather is promised for rain till monday next ? Amid I missing something. Btw I tap the glass each morning ?can ye help please

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

lab man wrote: »
    Lads I bought a barometer there a week ago today has rained some amount but the barometer says it's at change towards fine weather
    but the weather is promised for rain till monday next ? Amid I missing something. Btw I tap the glass each morning ?can ye help please

Weather tomorrow should be relatively ok. I'd say that's what the barometer is getting at.

Are they usually fairly accurate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I have one like that, lab man ... they are a rough guide at best, it can rain in some situations at higher pressures than the range where "fair" is indicated, and it can clear out at lower pressures if you get into a dry slot in a complex of low pressure. A better indicator is whether your barometer after a tap is on the rise, steady or falling. With a rise you should be seeing improved conditions, with a fall there is usually rain (or snow) on the way, and with a steady barometer whatever you've currently got is likely to remain in place.

Might want to check that your barometer is set to your local "sea level" pressure, what's your elevation above sea level and rough location? One of us could let you know what your barometer should be reading. There's usually a screw in the back somewhere that lets you adjust the reading. This would be a good time to check as pressure trend is not changing very quickly.

(will post more on the actual weather situation in a few minutes, just checking some recent updates)

• Advertisement

I'm living right on the shannon estuary about 50 / 100 above sea level yes a rough guide is all I want there is a skrew on the back
    Thanks for your help

lab man wrote: »
    I'm living right on the shannon estuary about 50 / 100 above sea level yes a rough guide is all I want there is a skrew on the back
    Thanks for your help

Okay so your barometer at present should be reading 1001 mbs or 29.55" ... and if you happen to check a bit later, it should be slowly rising to reach a peak around 29.8" tomorrow mid-day, then it should fall to around 29.3" late Friday night. If you seem to be in that range you don't need to adjust.

At your elevation your actual air pressure is just slightly lower than sea level pressure. All the weather stations and weather maps you might see anywhere are converted to sea level pressures. Somebody living high up on a hill could have as much as an inch or 30 mbs lower "actual" pressure but if their instrument is set at the actual pressure it will range lower than the design values for "fair, change and stormy" or whatever they show.

Meanwhile, had a look at latest guidance ... Zeta was whistling along even a bit faster than yesterday's model guidance had shown, the ragged centre just left the U.S. mainland around Ocean City MD ... model consensus seems to be that the core of Zeta's energy will remain intact for 48-60 hours and zoom past Donegal Bay late overnight Saturday into Sunday morning, probably leading to a peak in wind speeds from midnight to 0600h on the west coast. Before that, the low forming up in the middle of the Atlantic now will be bringing an interval of strong winds Saturday morning, these will veer westerly for a time, and some clearing will develop later Saturday, a brief break in the strong winds could mark the passage of a very weak ridge before Zeta's remains arrive.

The supporting upper low is trying to keep up but is falling behind and will force a secondary low to form in the same zone as Zeta runs through, that second low will never totally develop and will remain a trailing wave but we need to keep an eye on that plus the final stage of low pressure dropping southeast on Monday.

Still some potential for any of these to develop an intense band of strong winds as the jet stream is quite compressed. Will probably just be a long term disturbed period of weather with mostly level one alert conditions and the occasional localized level two (or orange alert if you prefer).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Our Meteorologist's Commentary regarding the scary Halloween weather on the way has been updated and is available here...

https://t.co/ktXtWjbfIg

Is it just me or are the two streamline animations in the Howling Hallowe'en discussion not loading?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Is it just me or are the two streamline animations in the Howling Hallowe'en discussion not loading?

not loading here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

not loading here also.

Now they're working...

• Advertisement

Cranium , it was at 1010. So have it changed to 1002 so looking forward to seeing how it goes
    1 thing though the black hand does seem a bit loose thanks lab man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The weather systems and the remnants of Zeta have to cover a huge distance at a rate of knots. A lot of uncertainty about track and strength. Gerry mentioning after the news that possibly stormy and high rainfall accumulations possible and to keep an eye on the warnings which will be updated tomorrow...

BnzwHH3.png?1

UFxuPPW.png?1

ojusVBY.gif

wSl8YM2.png?1

OXdYbbV.png

59bDl5Z.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What's after the Greek alphabet?

There really have been a tonne of storms this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ICON holding track and strength similar to the last run ( a tad stronger on this run in general I would think ) .

anim_fqf3.gif

iconeu_uk1-52-45-0_mjc9.png

ARPEGE starting to look more like ECM and ICON on the latest run. ICON not showing as much rainfall as ARPEGE

anim_spm1.gif

arpegeuk-25-60-0_rwy9.png

EURO 4 starting to take on the same track and strength.

anim_gen9.gif

Southern counties getting a lot of rainfall by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1321958445860478977?s=20

ECM 18Z looking Stormy now along the SW, W and NW coasts on Saturday, initially early from the SW . Very windy in the SE also and very windy at times inland especially on higher and exposed ground. thundery rain also.

Deepening all the way up along the Western coasts. Those charts could produce some damaging winds along coastal areas. Very much in Orange territory now from probably Cork all the way up to Donegal, maybe the SE also. Most areas could get winds gusting 90Km/h+ at some stage, maybe higher on elevated ground going by these charts. Fairly consistent now for a few runs but increasing the wind speed the last few runs .

uldSFCn.gif

IyrOBOX.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The wind has eased. Bliss. Heavy rain but no howling. The dragon sleeps.

Catching up here, we are in for a bad time now this weekend. Being utterly selfish(!) I am only concerned today, Friday, about my supplies getting here! That is what island life does! Focusses on life's basic realities. ;)

Then hunkering down with candles and torch at the ready.

Watching and listening.

As all good weather folk do.

ECM not showing the second round of winds on Sat night/ Sun morning as strong as earlier, still windy along coasts , but goes on to show the third system later Sun into Mon Morning looking very strong across a good swathe of the country. All subject to change.

Get the feeling that with Met Eireann drawing so much attention to the potential for stormy conditions that they could give a widespread Orange warning for Saturday and possibly Orange retreating to W, NW coastal counties later for a time. There is so much uncertainty with this that it could give very strong winds in inland areas also along with driving squally rain so maybe taking the attitude better safe than sorry. Still time for changes one way or the other of course.

With the way the models have been struggling with this set up a lot could still change with track and strength.

6jQtfbI.gif

DXh2Bmt.gif

Some potential for model error even at this range because the core of Zeta has moved even faster into the Atlantic than models were suggesting over first 6-12 hours, which could give it less time to gain latitude (as the second round of strong winds). Not sure if this would impact any of the evolution of the first round earlier Saturday. Waiting to see if ECM has caught this because so far GEM, GFS and Arpege have not quite got the speed, it may be that cloud formations have accelerated past pressure patterns too.

Anyway, I think we need to underline the potential for last-minute changes in forecasts especially with the late Saturday early Sunday time frame.

There could also be late stage changes in the evolution of third wave in the series due to pass south coast Sunday night. Not sold on this one being suppressed as shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Charts firming up on something significant this morning.
    ECM, bullish all along is particularly potent at 24hours

• Advertisement

Ship report of 59 knot westerly winds at 37N 66W which is between post-tropical Zeta and the developing tail end low.

The GFS perturbations give some more intense solutions for Saturday night into Sunday morning, but not a big spread, implying moderately high confidence in the solution as presented.

However, I have to wonder if the intensity of the upper flow dynamics will merge the two storms so that the mid-day frontal passage becomes a sort of occlusion of the fast-approaching remnant low of Zeta, then a two-part windstorm ensues with peaks at mid-day Saturday and just after midnight (0300h Nov 1st).

Something to watch in future model runs. Full moon is Saturday (around 15z) so tidal surges may need to be considered for Galway Bay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ME may upgrade warnings later this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Significant looking rainfall for the southeast tonight/tomorrow morning, and then wet and wild around lunchtime tomorrow in the west, a day for the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Significant looking rainfall for the southeast tonight/tomorrow morning, and then wet and wild around lunchtime tomorrow in the west, a day for the fire.

Every day is a day for the fire at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Every day is a day for the fire at the moment unfortunately.

Yesterday was so mild the fire was not needed here; but today is a diferent matter with clearer skies and no cloud blanket. Decidedly parky out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Looks like we should get a few hours respite with the heavy wind and rain around 5pm-9pm just in time for Wexford V Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

On Saturday morning strong southerly winds veering southwesterly associated with Storm Aiden will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h, with severe and damaging gusts of 100 to 130km/h.

Valid: 05:00 Saturday 31/10/2020 to 10:00 Saturday 31/10/2020

Issued: 10:00 Friday 30/10/2020

———————————————————————-

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare

On Saturday morning and afternoon strong southwest to west winds associated with Storm Aiden will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h, with severe and damaging gusts of 100 to 130km/h.

Valid: 08:00 Saturday 31/10/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 31/10/2020

Issued: 10:00 Friday 30/10/2020

851881-B9-A402-4296-B536-E030399-FFC9-D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Calm and clear in Limerick at the moment.

A great day

The calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

851881-B9-A402-4296-B536-E030399-FFC9-D.jpg

I still can't get over how the weather sticks to county borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Kamili wrote: »
    I still can't get over how the weather sticks to county borders.

The coastal counties will see the highest winds which is usually what happens.

Advertisement