Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pay balance / change date or cancel

Options
  • 24-03-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

We booked a holiday in Majorca & they are now looking for the balance. Our options are cancel & loose deposit, change date or pay balance & wait & see.

If we stay as we are & pay the balance it may get cancelled but who knows. Atm Spain is non essential travel but how long will they keep that. We can do this though & change the dates up to 1 week before travelling without charges

If we amend & go later in the year we don't have to pay our balance until later but the holiday is more expensive. Who knows what it will be like then either. I looked at dates in September & our exact holiday is 360 more expensive, deposit is 600.

I'm thinking stick with our dates & change closer to the time if it's not cancelled.
    What would you do in or are planning to do if in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

When are you due to fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

If it was MY decision I would cut my losses, cancel and wait to see when this current situation changes.
    I would not be able to settle down during the holliers, so defeats the purpose of a hollier.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Kerry25x wrote: »
    When are you due to fly?

21st May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@ Op , what airline were you booked to fly with ?

I know Ryanair have just announced they are grounding the entire fleet today and for April and May.

See link:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0324/1125010-ryanair-flights-grounded/

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

raxy wrote: »
    21st May

I think chances are very high that it will be cancelled. Ryanair released a statement to say they don't expect to be running any flights in April or May. What airline are you flying with? Its quite lousy that you're being pushed to pay the balance in these times when everyone knows it isn't safe to fly and won't be for at least a few months.

Aer Lingus are also suspending flights until further notice. Can you call the travel agent and talk to them about this? It's a gamble to pay the full balance now in the (likely) hopes that it will be cancelled in case the travel agent goes out of business. I would call them and hope they will be reasonable, maybe let you delay paying the balance for another month.

• Advertisement

TUI airline unfortunately. They phoned me looking for the balance & these are the only options they gave me. They're given me 48 hours to decide.
    A couple of weeks ago I was set on cancelling but now it's up in the air again. With aer lingus & Ryan air not flying in May seems quite likely Tui won't be able to either.
    No point straight cancelling just yet, we'd be better off changing to late summer which would delay any final payment so wouldn't cost us anything now & we could cancel later if required & at least let us see how things play out.
    I was hoping they wouldn't look for the balance until closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

raxy wrote: »
    TUI airline unfortunately. They phoned me looking for the balance & these are the only options they gave me. They're given me 48 hours to decide.
    A couple of weeks ago I was set on cancelling but now it's up in the air again. With aer lingus & Ryan air not flying in May seems quite likely Tui won't be able to either.
    No point straight cancelling just yet, we'd be better off changing to late summer which would delay any final payment so wouldn't cost us anything now & we could cancel later if required & at least let us see how things play out.
    I was hoping they wouldn't look for the balance until closer to the date.

We rebooked for the same time next year. If things get sorted, we might book again separately for this year or just do something in Ireland. That way we haven't lost our deposit and not stressing about will we won't we.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

I'm in the same boat,we are booked with travel republic to go to tenerife the 3rd of may
    Final instalment is the 19th of April,that's for the hotel
    Flights are paid for they are with aerlingus that was the first instalment
    Sent travel republic emails and messages but no reply

We've decided to change the booking for the same time next year.
    I had been thinking of paying the balance & using their "holiday promise" to change the date if they weren't going to refund it but that would tie up a lot of cash on a chance. I Rang to query changing the date closer to the time & if we booked a cheaper holiday would we be refunded the difference. THe person I talked to contradicted what I had been told originally when they rang & what is advertised on their website. When I said I was told otherwise she said she was working from home & what I was told earlier was probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

We had same problem just over a week ago
    To fly out early June

They wouldn’t entertain a wait and see what happens fir a few more weeks
    Put a gun to head and insisted on payment

Cut my losses and my 275 eur deposit

I still have flights so if things change I’ll find accommodation somewhere else

• Advertisement
Advertisement