Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refund from whom ???

Options
  • 18-03-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Booked a package with Emirates - flights, accommodation and transfers. Dubai is now saying Avoid non essential travel and are not issuing tourist visas. Is it Emurates that will issue a refund or do I have to claim from my travel insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

GenuineFan wrote: »
    Booked a package with Emirates - flights, accommodation and transfers. Dubai is now saying Avoid non essential travel and are not issuing tourist visas. Is it Emurates that will issue a refund or do I have to claim from my travel insurance?

Emirates

• Registered Users Posts: 36 thespecialon

How did you get on re this? They emailed me this morning cancelling and offering a travel voucher for the price..I assume they have to refund in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

My holiday was booked with Emirates Holidays Ireland, ie flights, transfers and hotel. They advised that the holiday was cancelled and to claim from my insurance. They said if my insurance don't cover it, get it in writing, and go back to Emirates. I contacted my travel insurance (VHI Multitrip) and they said they would refund it.

My holiday was booked with Emirates Holidays Ireland, ie flights, transfers and hotel. They advised that the holiday was cancelled and to claim from my insurance. They said if my insurance don't cover it, get it in writing, and go back to Emirates. I contacted my travel insurance (VHI Multitrip) and they said they would refund it.

So Emirates refused to refund a trip that they cancelled?

so update - Tried to claim through my VHI multitrip but they have responded that since Emirates have cancelled it they are liable to refund me in full..Been the last 2 days trying to contact emirates and been on hold non -stop..anyone have any luck contacting emirates if so could you tell me how, I have been trying a UK number 00442089728900

• Advertisement

so update - Tried to claim through my VHI multitrip but they have responded that since Emirates have cancelled it they are liable to refund me in full..Been the last 2 days trying to contact emirates and been on hold non -stop..anyone have any luck contacting emirates if so could you tell me how, I have been trying a UK number 00442089728900

They have a Dublin number. 01-5171600

hi,

thanks thats actually emirates airlines number , emirates holidays are the travel agent i booked though..all owned by same company but emirates airlines wont take my query.

I rang VHI Multi Trip and I gave a brief outline of my situation and I said I thought Emirates would be liable for the refund and she said no, claim off my insurance. I did it online and got a Case No. and then I had to contact them. I discussed it in more detail and she asked me a few questions. She asked me had I a cancellation invoice from Emirates, which I had. She posted out the Claim Form and when it arrived it had my name address etc. typed into it and my Case No. I completed the form and returned two documents, 1. the confirmation booking and the cancellation invoice. I posted it back a week ago and haven't heard anything.

I rang VHI Multi Trip and I gave a brief outline of my situation and I said I thought Emirates would be liable for the refund and she said no, claim off my insurance. I did it online and got a Case No. and then I had to contact them. I discussed it in more detail and she asked me a few questions. She asked me had I a cancellation invoice from Emirates, which I had. She posted out the Claim Form and when it arrived it had my name address etc. typed into it and my Case No. I completed the form and returned two documents, 1. the confirmation booking and the cancellation invoice. I posted it back a week ago and haven't heard anything.

Exact same situation as you but vhi emailed me saying as emirates holidays had cancelled they were liable and I had to take up with them ..which unfortunately I haven't been able to as there impossible go get through to at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

For additional weight to any claim have a look at https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/40f0d7-guidance-on-the-right-of-travellers-to-terminate-package-travel-cont/

This only applies to package holidays, which would be the case for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

Did they offer a credit note?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is the flight still going?

Got a letter from VHI Muktitrip today ...... I have to claim from Emirates. Now, I thought that all along so put that process in place with Emirates two weeks ago. While I was talking to VHI Multitrip I said I thought it would be Emirates and she said no, it was them. Why put me through completing the form etc.? Hopefully Emirates will come up with the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If Emirates refuse to refund and will only issue you with a Voucher, will VHI refund you then ?

SusanC10 wrote: »
    If Emirates refuse to refund and will only issue you with a Voucher, will VHI refund you then ?

If you accept the voucher you are not at a loss. If you get a voucher and then the travel insurance you've essentially made a profit which is not what insurance is designed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Guffy wrote: »
    If you accept the voucher you are not at a loss. If you get a voucher and then the travel insurance you've essentially made a profit which is not what insurance is designed to do.

When you get a voucher, you are often so glad to get it that you think it is the same as hard cash.

It ain't!

Check it out and you will often find it comes with some very limiting terms and conditions.

Hustle for a refund.

paddy19 wrote: »
    When you get a voucher, you are often so glad to get it that you think it is the same as hard cash.

It ain't!

Check it out and you will often find it comes with some very limiting terms and conditions.

Hustle for a refund.

Absolutely, I'm just pointing out that if you do take the voucher your kidding if you think the insurance will pay you as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Guffy wrote: »

Sorry, I meant if only a Voucher is offered which we don't want and do not accept, can we then claim from our VHI Multi-trip?
    We want a refund, not Voucher.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant if only a Voucher is offered which we don't want and do not accept, can we then claim from our VHI Multi-trip?
    We want a refund, not Voucher.

You have to persue the airline for this. If they cancelled your flight they are required to refund you.

Advertisement