Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you use your drone for?

• 17-03-2020 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Has the novelty worn off for anyone, unless you are an avid photographer how many videos can you make of the landscape and then all the editing that’s involved.

Realistically how many uses are there for these drones as a personal hobby?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Apart from being an actual photographer I also fish and do a bit of Urbex. My plan is to use it for both hobbies.
    For the fishing I intend to bring it to our meets and get footage of our launches etc (we fish from kayaks). I already video the fishing on the kayak so the aerial footage will be cool to have.
    For the Urbex - well we'll have to see how that goes as discretion is often needed but it would be nice to get some aerial shots of the locations we explore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Apart from being an actual photographer I also fish and do a bit of Urbex. My plan is to use it for both hobbies.
    For the fishing I intend to bring it to our meets and get footage of our launches etc (we fish from kayaks). I already video the fishing on the kayak so the aerial footage will be cool to have.
    For the Urbex - well we'll have to see how that goes as discretion is often needed but it would be nice to get some aerial shots of the locations we explore.

I find that urbex has become too main stream. I much preferred it when it was more niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

personally love flying my Air everywhere I go (and it isn't restricted) but Irish weather makes it very difficult

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

personally love flying my Air everywhere I go (and it isn't restricted) but Irish weather makes it very difficult

Me too, fly the drone as often as I can. Always puts a smile on my face, it's been well over a month since my last flight though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Nearly always only flying for work now.
    Explains how even with the poor weather, I've racked up over 7 hours of flight time in the last 8 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 felton

Sits in it's case unused. Waste of money. Unless you have perfect conditions and perfect lighting it's a waste of time, which is most of the time in Ireland.

Shameless self promotion :D My work on the telly......

*Trailer image quality poor, was re-uploaded from twitter I think.

Shameless self promotion My work on the telly......

Nice, what equipment are you using?

tedpan wrote: »
    Nice, what equipment are you using?
    For this, Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Picked up the Bugs 3 on the Amazon sale for £22 and have been flying that since Christmas. Great little manual drone, great fun to fly.
    I got the Parrot Bebop 1 with 4 batteries a couple of years ago on sale and use that for short range videos. I don't trust it as much as the bugs and flight time is down to 4-5 mins, also the Sky Controller is massive, far too big for the performance it's delivers.

Living rural in the west so get plenty of flying time. Also have the 7 year old flying a brushed Hubsan 502e. It has gps and it's easy to fly so he's managing it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Shameless self promotion :D My work on the telly......

*Trailer image quality poor, was re-uploaded from twitter I think.

How did you get into telly work? I've heard of some operators being approached on the strength of social media vids.

irishejit wrote: »
    How did you get into telly work? I've heard of some operators being approached on the strength of social media vids.
    PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

For this, Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian

Just curious, do RTE (or the production company) request footage in 25p, 50p?

I saw some tractors which gave me an excuse to fly! Was great to get outside for a few minutes anyway, what a day!

theothernt wrote: »
    Just curious, do RTE (or the production company) request footage in 25p, 50p?
    To keep it short, it doesn't matter what resolution or framerate you, the DOP and/or Editor decide to film.
    The final file delivered to RTE is 1080i 25p

More here :https://mediasales.rte.ie/planning/av/television/traffic-television/delivery-specs-form/

Most of what I film is 25p, I'll only use 50p if I want to export the final image in slow motion.
    I always also film in UHD, even if the final product is 1080p.
    Few reasons for this but for me personally, you want maximum image quality from the small 1" sensor if you want to better match it to the other higher end cameras. If you video/project is 100% drone footage, this obviously wouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This was a question I was thinking about too, beyond professional photography and surveys what uses does a drone have? I'd love to get one for flying around at home down country - just to have the technology, but after i've done that once or twice I'd be at a loss as to what to do with it. It seems just like an adult toy?

The laws are so restrictive - you effectively cannot fly in Dublin and 300m radius rules elsewhere would severely limit even what you can do leisure-wise. And that's before you get into landowner permission and people being upset about overflying their property with a camera.

Maybe I'm wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

This was a question I was thinking about too, beyond professional photography and surveys what uses does a drone have? I'd love to get one for flying around at home down country - just to have the technology, but after i've done that once or twice I'd be at a loss as to what to do with it. It seems just like an adult toy?

The laws are so restrictive - you effectively cannot fly in Dublin and 300m radius rules elsewhere would severely limit even what you can do leisure-wise. And that's before you get into landowner permission and people being upset about overflying their property with a camera.

Maybe I'm wrong? Is there something I'm missing?

I never had a drone up until 2 weeks ago and I must admit I am loving it, It's actually got me interested in photography and the urge to go out everyday and find a new cool spot to fly, of course limited at the moment but very excited at the prospect once lockdown is lifted.

Advertisement