Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daytripper 2015

Comments

• O Riain wrote: »
    Come off it. All he was doing was responding to the fact that the person said that €40 was too much for what was on offer. He then said that some people (not necessarily that poster) would see nothing in spending €40 on fags, booze or whatever and he is dead bloody right. If its not your cup of tea, that's grand boy but there's no need for someone to go saying that €40 is a rip off and then go into a bookies to put €50 on a horse.

In fairness this is a message board so if people dont want to hear opinions they shouldn't come here :p

If people every say anything slightly negative about something local people jump down their throats on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭skaface

So people, who do you reckon we're getting on the Friday night??
    Someone on here must know.. Anyone B-)

In fairness this is a message board so if people dont want to hear opinions they shouldn't come here :p

If people every say anything slightly negative about something local people jump down their throats on here.

This is Waterford... It's what we're good at.. We love a good moan :pac:

• skaface wrote: »
    This is Waterford... It's what we're good at.. We love a good moan :pac:

I'd have to wonder if people who are so touchy about criticism of the festival have any financial investment in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

There's none on the lineup so far who'd do it for me but just like last year I'l invite friends down who are into the music to buy a ticket and crash in mine. You can support local initiatives to promote live music even if you'd not cross the road to hear it yourself. Jebus, my life would be so much easier if Waterford people supported live music just by inviting others regardless of whether it personally interested them. In my perfect world it would be non-stop banging techno and death metal and ambient and live experimental (like my beloved SAW in a way). My house will be full for Day Tripper, I'll not be there but have the beer cooled when they get back up the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

old gregg wrote: »
    There's none on the lineup so far who'd do it for me but just like last year I'l invite friends down who are into the music to buy a ticket and crash in mine. You can support local initiatives to promote live music even if you'd not cross the road to hear it yourself. Jebus, my life would be so much easier if Waterford people supported live music just by inviting others regardless of whether it personally interested them. In my perfect world it would be non-stop banging techno and death metal and ambient and live experimental (like my beloved SAW in a way). My house will be full for Day Tripper, I'll not be there but have the beer cooled when they get back up the hill.

I'm the same, and I'm from a musical background and have organized events before. My main quip is people supporting or trying to shame people into supporting something, because it's local. I think that the line up is pretty good.Nothing that'd draw me to it, but I can see the crowd it's aimed at. I'd never try and disparage anyone from trying to do something positive for them selves or their city. It's not an easy thing to do and it's mostly a thankless job.

There is a commonality on this board of posters shooting down people who question their rational and their constant bull**** parochialism. These are the type of idiots who wouldn't listen to people before the economic crash, and labaled them as begrudgers or had the out right idiocy to say people were talking the economy down.

Questioning things or being critical is good. We live in a competitive age and accepting banality just because it's local does no one any favors.If other cities can pull big acts into tiny venues, Waterford can to ( I know it can be complicated and this isn't a shot at the promoters of this festival. It's a young festival and there are people in Waterford with connections to bigger agencies who could facilitate dialogue) Waterford is a great city, full of talented people who just markets it's self wrong.I've been all around the world and Co. Waterford can compete with most of the beauty spots around, but it's never teh county thats promoted on an International scale.Waterford could easily draw big bands, but as long as people think any olde ****e will do and people should support it just because, well then, it's always going to fall behind...and no amount of good will or not wanting to come across as a begrudger is going to put money in peoples pockets.

• old gregg wrote: »

Why would people want to make your life easier?

If there is enough people interested in any particular gig it will sell, I don't see the need to try and get people to go to a festival that I have no emotional investment in .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

If there is enough people interested in any particular gig it will sell, I don't see the need to try and get people to go to a festival that I have no emotional investment in .

Oh dear *sighs*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Why do people react like this when someone is trying to do something to get a bit of a buzz around the place I don't understand it tbh, you obviously don't give a toss about it but does it cost anything to say it to your mates or friends who might be interested in the acts

Nope which is why you should do it, honestly damned if you do damned if you don't

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i think the line up is decent

Deff going the Sunday night. intresting that the saturday night may clash with an All ireland hurling match if Waterford are involved

• Advertisement

Wonder what the hold up is with the
    Friday Headliner ???

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭GunnerBlue

longshanks wrote: »
    Are Texas playing the Friday of this?

The Friday line up hasn't been confirmed afaik. I would definitely go if Texas were playing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Why would I buy tickets for people I might not want to see? I'm not a bloody charity.
    I wish the festival well, but there always seems to be a sense of entitlement with people for support regardless of the quality of the event just because it's local. If it's going to be sub par and chances are you know people won't like the line up, don't do it and wait till you can provide a decent line up. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I fully agree with you. I'm not saying buy one for the sake of it. Surely over the 3 days you will like couple of the bands. My point is the organisers have had a tough job getting acts over the line due to several issues. So if it's not supported by locals, it sets everything back.

Any new Festival that could take its place will also take a few years to get going and be able to attract acts.

It's a vicious circle so to speak.
    The darkness wouldn't be my thing at all. But Sunday looks like a good day out with rest of what's on offer. UB40 and that support would be worth a look.

So for me the alternative to say " ah leave this off, crap line up " then give out when nothing in 2016. By someway supporting the event, It means by next year is another year on, it's starting to find its feet , and attract the acts we ALL want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

positivity breeds positivity

Can't figure out why Friday acts haven't been
    Announced yet..
    Not very good business by the organisers as
    they can't really advertise the Festival if they
    haven't the Full line up...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

skaface wrote: »
    Can't figure out why Friday acts haven't been
    Announced yet..
    Not very good business by the organisers as
    they can't really advertise the Festival if they
    haven't the Full line up...

Afaik,there has been a hold up after the main headliner for Friday pulled out just before the promoters were to announce the full line up and they are now trying to find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

aziz wrote: »
    Afaik,there has been a hold up after the main headliner for Friday pulled out just before the promoters were to announce the full line up and they are now trying to find a replacement.

Fingers crossed for a good gig

Still no Friday headliners...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I think it's fairly obvious that the promoters are having proper problems securing a headliner for the friday. Why don't they just make it a two day event and just admit they don't have the budget to secure someone decent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I think it's fairly obvious that the promoters are having proper problems securing a headliner for the friday. Why don't they just make it a two day event and just admit they don't have the budget to secure someone decent?

Their Friday headliner apparently pulled out at the last minute just before the announcement and has left them right up **** creek. Hopefully they can secure someone good because that is not an easy situation to be left in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

O Riain wrote: »
    Their Friday headliner apparently pulled out at the last minute just before the announcement and has left them right up **** creek. Hopefully they can secure someone good because that is not an easy situation to be left in.

Who was the supposed Friday Headliner that pulled out?

Wish the organisers would either announce a Friday headline or go with just two nights..
    Because they can't really advertise it properly
    otherwise.
    Don't know who they had for Friday..
    Must be a nightmare when an act pulls out like that at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Got my UB40 tickets this morning, looking forward big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Is the Friday still going ahead ?
    Not a sniff on their facebook page and loads of people asking but no replies !!

Nypd wrote: »
    Is the Friday still going ahead ?
    Not a sniff on their facebook page and loads of people asking but no replies !!

Suspense is killing me!!
    We could be in for a big treat or a big let down..
    Wish they would clarify regarding Friday.. turning into a farce at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Has it been sorted?

I will take the resounding silence as a no. I haven't heard any promotion for this. I am not on Facebook so it is no good if the promotion is on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I will take the resounding silence as a no. I haven't heard any promotion for this. I am not on Facebook so it is no good if the promotion is on there.

i assume theres some pretty big issues with sorting the friday. its a pity but im thinking maybe this should be made a 2 day festival and maybe try get stronger acts for future festivals. good to see this festival going from strength to strength though. still havent been at it.

id have to agree with your facebook comment, not everybody is on it but understandable that the promoters use it

As it happens I heard an advert on WLR today that mentions only Saturday and Sunday so it looks like it is now a 2 day event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

As it happens I heard an advert on WLR today that mentions only Saturday and Sunday so it looks like it is now a 2 day event.

think they might be better off. must cost a fortune to run it over the 3 days. hopefully it pulls a good few people into the town

Advertisement