Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Children’s trading cards

• 19-06-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

I’m a primary teacher and I want to use trading cards as one of my reward systems next year in my class.

The problem is my own little people are too young to have them so I have no idea about them.

So what cards are your little ones into? Football? Pokémon? Are there cards for girls?

What’s really sought after?

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My son is in a mixed school. He loves Pokemon, and so do some of the girls And boys in his class Some boys are into match attacks (I’m sure some girls are too, but I never hear their names mentioned), but he’s not into them. There’s a few kids in younger and older classes that he trades Pokemon with at break time. But there’s also probably a good few that couldn’t give a fiddlers about them :D I hate the things. They’re such a waste of money. Its like a ridiculous foreign language when it’s being discusses, it makes no sense!

His teachers in junior infants, and senior infants ended up banning them, I’d say they had her head melted. So maybe you’ll be opening a can of worms!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

As a parent myself, I'd be thinking you'd be introducing kids who wouldn't normally use them or get them at home to them.
    Then the kids come home and pester mum and dad to buy them for them because everyone in school has them.
    Just my two cents.

To thine own self be true

That’s very true. One or two cards are no good. You need eleventy billion packets @ €6 a pop. And remember, at least 9 cards in every pack of 10 are s**t (or so it seems from the ginormous pile of cards in my playroom that are never looked at)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

As a parent myself, I'd be thinking you'd be introducing kids who wouldn't normally use them or get them at home to them.
    Then the kids come home and pester mum and dad to buy them for them because everyone in school has them.
    Just my two cents.

Never thought of it that way, thanks for the insight.

Never thought of it that way, thanks for the insight.

Unfortunately, they always want what anyone else has :D

• Advertisement

I think you're onto a good idea though.
    How about you make your own cards, cut and laminate them to the size of playing cards.
    Put your own designs on them.
    Make no reference to Match Attak or Pokemon cards, just introduce them as your own invention.
    You can get very creative with them.
    Well done for thinking outside the box.

My usual rewards were pencils, erasers and sharpeners. Nothing too exciting on a Friday afternoon. This year will be my first year with a mixed class. Last year the girls loved those little bits and bobs but I’m wondering if the boys will be just as enthused?

I’d love to shake it up a little but at the same time, as Purple Mountain pointed out, not bring a craze home that parents can’t afford.

Did your little one ever come home with a little reward? Were they excited to show you or were they not bothered?

I think you're onto a good idea though.
    How about you make your own cards, cut and laminate them to the size of playing cards.
    Put your own designs on them.
    Make no reference to Match Attak or Pokemon cards, just introduce them as your own invention.
    You can get very creative with them.
    Well done for thinking outside the box.

Interesting thought. I’m just not too inventive 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Homework passes - laminated cards for each subject !

Interesting thought. I’m just not too inventive 😂

You obviously are when you're thinking like that.
    PS, I have a boy and definitely the pencils etc wouldn't appeal to him.
    As a female myself, I know I'd have loved stationary or fancy paper etc.
    It's probably frowned upon to give penny sweets?

• Advertisement

Being a Mammy I always smile through gritted teeth when someone offers my little fella a lolly or sweet treat, he gets enough from his two grannies and his Daddy behind my back! I know some parents don’t mind but I wouldn’t want to cross lines either.

I would just like to have a Friday reward that boys would be excited about pink fluffy pencils won’t cut it this year ��

Being a Mammy I always smile through gritted teeth when someone offers my little fella a lolly or sweet treat, he gets enough from his two grannies and his Daddy behind my back! I know some parents don’t mind but I wouldn’t want to cross lines either.

I would just like to have a Friday reward that boys would be excited about pink fluffy pencils won’t cut it this year ��

You have to be so careful now days with children and food allergies too do I guess sweets are out.
    I remember when my boy was very small and pharmacy staff offering him a pick from the lollipop jar. It used to irk me. Obviously never heard of choking hazards.
    Maybe post over in the teaching forum for ideas from other teachers too.

Thanks Purple Mountain, teaching forums are a bit of a no go lately for some reason :confused: :pac:

It’s just nice to get a parent’s perspective of what makes their children happy!

Thanks Purple Mountain, teaching forums are a bit of a no go lately for some reason :confused: :pac:

It’s just nice to get a parent’s perspective of what makes their children happy!

If your a mam yourself, trust your instinct.
    Also, my guy is gone through primary school now and the teachers he laments and speaks about from those days are the ones who were kind with words and encouragement.

Here's an idea actually.. One bought a table tennis net, little paddles and a ball and just clipped it onto a spare desk down back.
    A little game of table tennis when tasks were completed was a reward.
    Often activities, not objects can be as nice for the children.

Food for thought, thanks again! And on that note good night :), I must pull the Smyth’s catalogue out tomorrow to see if I can fish out a tennis/football/ basketball net game without my little fella seeing it. The last thing I need is more birthday requests!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My kids have got little rewards coming home and loved them, like pencils and rubbers. I would also veto the idea of trading cards, my two went through the match attax phase... twice!! they had my head wrecked with them. Cost a fortune, and essentially all ended up in the bin, only for them to start collecting them again, I hate them, they are a complete money racket

My youngest boy’s class had a table of the week prize, they got to sit on cushions for the week, their teacher had those emoji cushions and table of the week got to sit on them all week. Handed back on a Friday and new table announced Friday evening. Was a cheap method of giving a reward and he loved it, raved more about having a cushion than any prize he ever brought home.

All their teachers over the years have used those rewards sheets for student of the week and friend of the week - these were also a hit and are all still on display in our kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

my girls go mad for LOL cards and shopkins ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I think the problem with choosing something like trading cards is that you’re never going to get a whole class motivated by one theme, even if you choose something popular.
    Personally, I often ask my new classes for ideas as to what they’d like the reward to be and try to integrate that into a reward system. Often what I think is motivating is way off the mark. Also what works for one group another might not care for. Some things that students have suggested as rewards include choosing their own seat for the following week, getting to choose some element of Pe the next week, the cushions, for younger groups getting to use twistables where the others use chubbies, homework passes (very much depends on the group whether these are motivating or not), getting extra iPad time. What I like about these is that they cost nothing. You could even have a points based system where a certain number of points needs to be earned for one of the rewards above. They have the chance to bank points or cash them in. Class dojo works well for tracking this kind of system.

Not a parent but am a teacher. Definitely don't do commercial cards. Parents will be complaining and you lose control over the supply and reward factor.

Make flashcards with different levels of difficulty and associated rarity / value. Create criteria for students being able to trade in sets of them each month for a small gift or stars or whatever.

An example for say history would be a set of three events that happened in the same decade. Or for geography, all in the same country. Base the criteria on information you want the students to be learning so they will have to actually read the flashcards and learn them in order to trade and make their sets.

My 8 y.o boy is a total hoarder, and any “stuff” like pencils and rubbers Notebooks etc would be appreciated by him. I don’t know that you’ll find anything that everyone will love though, that’s the problem.
    Our dentist Has a little box of toys that she whips out at the end of a visit that the kids get to pick something from. It’s all stuff like bouncy balls, pencils, different bits. I think the novelty of choosing would work well? Actually, I just searched party bag fillers on amazon and there’s a few packs. But it depends what age you have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do rewards have to involve stuff? Can you give homework passes or things like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

jlm29 wrote: »
    My 8 y.o boy is a total hoarder, and any “stuff” like pencils and rubbers Notebooks etc would be appreciated by him. I don’t know that you’ll find anything that everyone will love though, that’s the problem.
    Our dentist Has a little box of toys that she whips out at the end of a visit that the kids get to pick something from. It’s all stuff like bouncy balls, pencils, different bits. I think the novelty of choosing would work well? Actually, I just searched party bag fillers on amazon and there’s a few packs. But it depends what age you have!

Absolutely. My son (7.5yo) loves these little trinkets! He’s also a horder. Little keyrings, compasses from dealz, novelty rubbers, and little notebooks with pencils etc. He loves that kinda stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Food for thought, thanks again! And on that note good night :), I must pull the Smyth’s catalogue out tomorrow to see if I can fish out a tennis/football/ basketball net game without my little fella seeing it. The last thing I need is more birthday requests!

Also can I just say... I wish I had a teacher like you when I was little 😊. You seem so kind and thoughtful. I’d say you’re a favourite among a lot of the children! lol. Although not necessary or seen very often in my kids school.... It’s just so nice to see this. And I know mine would adore this.

You obviously are when you're thinking like that.
    PS, I have a boy and definitely the pencils etc wouldn't appeal to him.
    As a female myself, I know I'd have loved stationary or fancy paper etc.
    It's probably frowned upon to give penny sweets?

My boy definitely gets a friday jelly after his spelling test!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The 'best table" or "best class" in my little one's school definitely got mini bags of haribo last year.It wasn't too often.Haribo best bcause generally no worries about allergies with them for most kids.

Use passes for homework, jellies and maybe stickers or something, and ask them to chose which they would prefer when being offered?Sorry, I didn't see which age group you have. If they are smallies, you could do something like have a tub of mini dinosaurs, or pingpong balls, some fluffy pencils or something, empty them all in a box and let them pick one thing??

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Great ideas to liven up Friday treats!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

My children have don't seem to get rewarded to often but a popular one was picking something out of a bag. Seems to be small kinder egg type toys, pencils, stickers.
    Older class teacher had business cards printed adding encouraging note or words and at time homework pass.

Could just be my house but mostly only hear negative things about rewards/points..... Such a such on my table this week on no he keeps talking we won't get points. How come X got points last week for winning gymnastics I didn't get any for winning art. Y always getting points even when mean to everyone .......
    Sometimes spot a pencil when ask where it came from oh I got that for hitting points target

Advertisement