Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wiping their own xxxx

• 13-06-2020 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭

When did you stop cleaning bums after going poo.
    I have my 7yo trying with my help. Should he have started earlier , too early ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

cj maxx wrote: »
    When did you stop cleaning bums after going poo.
    I have my 7yo trying with my help. Should he have started earlier , too early ???

First class/7yo till he was doing it properly. He tried before that and he was very proactive but would get s**t everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

Genuine question. Who wipes their butts if they use the school WC? About to teach my child before he starts school but not expecting him to have it mastered by September. Surely 7 year olds aren’t sitting in classes with poopy butts?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

They need to develop the motor skills to do this. A good way to practice is to play a game using paper plates & Nutella. Sounds extremely odd but bear with me. Have the child hold the plate behind them and wipe it with a tissue, showing them how to wipe, check & fold the tissue to clean again until the tissue comes back clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Not a parent and it terrifies me I'd ever be in such a position.

I'd say, scoop out the main part of the mess and let them practice on a less messy job. And teach them to wash their hands well with soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

TM2015 wrote: »
    Genuine question. Who wipes their butts if they use the school WC? About to teach my child before he starts school but not expecting him to have it mastered by September. Surely 7 year olds aren’t sitting in classes with poopy butts?

I think mine time it so the only one who ever has to help them is me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

jlm29 wrote: »
    I think mine time it so the only one who ever has to help them is me!

Mine defo did this until until late 6s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It is something that my son still needs reminding of at 6. But neither I nor his mother do it for him. Whenever I see him go to the toilet I just say "dont forget to wipe your bum." Then make sure he has flushed and washed his hands after. If I see stains in his underwear later, I talk with him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My guy is 6 and can do it. I leave baby wipes in the bathrooms which he uses and puts in the bin.

Sometimes he asks me for help. He has to do it himself in school!! So we encouraged him doing it himself in his year 2 of ecce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My expectation of them doing it by themselves started at pre school age, so 4. By the time they started school they were doing it by themselves and succeeding most of the time.
    All kids are different. I just felt that if they were to be at school they needed to be able to manage it themselves even to some extent. That being said neither of mine ever liked pooping in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

3. She'd wipe herself and then run to one of us to check she was clean! She was able to take care of it herself by the time she went to preschool.

Shes now 5 and we rarely see skidmarked knickers in the laundry....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It seems I've left it late enough at 7 ! . Wipes and a bin is a good idea

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My 4 year old has a go himself, but often asks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I think once they can physically manipulate their body to reach they can have a go. I think the success is mostly down to the type of poo (sorry!). At 7 our guy has been cleaning for a year or two but some days he still calls for help. I'm not a big fan of wipes but I agree that on these occasions they'd make things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭This is it

Son is 5 now and would struggle at times but I would always let him try first himself and help a little after if needs be. He tries to go in the morning before school and will try hold it while there if he needs to go. I've tried to discourage this :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Quick update. Going well but boy finds it gross to see brown on the toilet paper but he's doing good.
    Girl hates any help because "dad I know what to do" !
    I've stopped doing the bits if they miss some and checking and haven't seen any stained pants.

Advertisement