Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Childcare Scheme

• 27-11-2019 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

or whatever its called! The yellow yolk with the bee!! :p

I haven't a clue which application to fill, the universal or the income assesment. The universal seems to mentioned "child" where the income assessment is "children".

I have two kids. One is 3 in January so no ECCE until September. And the other is 6. 7 in February.
    The 2 year old is 3 days in creche from next month, and the 6 year old 3 days in before-and-afterschool care.

Anyone know what I should be doing??? I just cant get my head around it. Never made sense to me from day one in the budget!!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's such a pain in the hoop.

So...in order to get on the NSC, which replaces the ECCE, you need to have a myGovID. To get that you need a PSC which requires a PPSN. To get that you need to go into the SW office with a utility bill showing your address, and a photo ID. To do that you likely need to take time off work, like I did. You'll answer a load of questions and then they send you the PSC card in the post.

Then you can go back to the website with your new PSC card, remember your MyGovID and fill out the rest of the questions. I think. I'm at the point where I'm still awaiting the psc card. If you are lucky and do all that, then they give you a CHICK code which you give to your childcare provider to get this fabled subsidy.

Not confusing at all for parents right? :rolleyes:

I'll eat my own hat if childcare providers don't just absorb this subsidy into their overheads /profits and the cash reduction in what we pay turns out to be actually significant.

You can tell I'm not a fan of the process :D

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

To be eligible for the income assessed one you have to have a reckonable household income of less than 60k. There's a calculator on the site which helps you calculate. You need to input take home salary info, multiple child discount, any state benefits that qualify (there's a list somewhere on the site) and contributions to private pension. If it calculates less than 60k then you are eligible for the income assessed scheme..You may need to provide proof .. if not you apply for the universal. It's a nightmare!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Note (I have said it here before) that my OH was told if he had a new drivers licence, the info from that could be used to create a new public services card for you. It worked fine for him, the PSC card arrived in the post with no visit needed to their offices.
    As to the rest of it, it sounds overly bureaucratic.Personally I am assuming I won't be eligible (because I never am for anything, regardless of the fact that I am not exactly minted) so I am not bothering.(also your childcare provider has to be registered with tusla, right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

My wife has the PSC card, and i sent her in to get her phone number verified.....which i personally think is ridiculous.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

peteb2 wrote: »
    My wife has the PSC card, and i sent her in to get her phone number verified.....which i personally think is ridiculous.

It is. It's a stealth way of forcing people to get the PSC card which the Data Protection Commissioner Helen Dixon has said has no basis in law. The PSC card should not be used for anything other than welfare services. Obtaining a driver licence or applying for a childcare subsidy are not social welfare services.

It's a way of steering us towards that national id card they tried to bring in some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WhestCork2018

And Ta Dah, back in September our Creche fees magically increased to the exact amount we had worked out we would receive off the fees, so in hindsight we will receive nothing (the universal amount)! They done the same thing the last time we were to receive some help a year or possible two ago! Can we do anything about this or just grin and bare it?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Neyite wrote: »
    It's such a pain in the hoop.

So...in order to get on the NSC, which replaces the ECCE,s out to

You can tell I'm not a fan of the process :D

The NCS does not replace the ECCE scheme. It replaces the other childcare subsidies but does not affect ECCE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

Most creches are private businesses and they have the same overheads as any other business. There are costs that the govt & its agencies control that they could slash or cut for early years providers but they dont and they dont incentivise landlords to offer reduced rents to providers or create more space. The NCS is going to add to further to the work load of providers. In this day & age providers arent increasing fees to fleece parents their doing it to try and stay open and keep good staff in jobs
    And Ta Dah, back in September our Creche fees magically increased to the exact amount we had worked out we would receive off the fees, so in hindsight we will receive nothing (the universal amount)! They done the same thing the last time we were to receive some help a year or possible two ago! Can we do anything about this or just grin and bare it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,204 ✭✭✭✭fits

The NCS does not replace the ECCE scheme. It replaces the other childcare subsidies but does not affect ECCE.

I had a shock I read that. Thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Very few childcare facilities have signed up to this scheme, so if you are entitled to receive a grant - you will be hard pushed to find a facility who will accept it.

Its a farce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

Do you still need to go through the scheme for the universal? We don’t qualify for any subsidy under the new scheme.
    jaja321 wrote: »
    To be eligible for the income assessed one you have to have a reckonable household income of less than 60k. There's a calculator on the site which helps you calculate. You need to input take home salary info, multiple child discount, any state benefits that qualify (there's a list somewhere on the site) and contributions to private pension. If it calculates less than 60k then you are eligible for the income assessed scheme..You may need to provide proof .. if not you apply for the universal. It's a nightmare!

So the calculator says we should be entitled to 177 a week. On that logic it covers my entire crèche bill for one child for the month?? How is that right ??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

So the calculator says we should be entitled to 177 a week. On that logic it covers my entire crèche bill for one child for the month?? How is that right ??

Are you using your annual net income when calculating?

Are you using your annual net income when calculating?

**** **** ****. no i used monthly for some reason!! that explains it!!

OrlaFS2017 wrote: »
    Do you still need to go through the scheme for the universal? We don’t qualify for any subsidy under the new scheme.

Yep. Our creche used to apply on our behalf under the old scheme, but now parents must apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 naturalgems18

Easily done, I did the same thing!! So it sounded familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Has anyone managed to get an income accessed award yet?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I done the same thing. Thought i was quids in but nope when I put the net figures in - i am entitled to a big fat zero

There's a surprise :rolleyes:

John Mason wrote: »
    I done the same thing. Thought i was quids in but nope when I put the net figures in - i am entitled to a big fat zero

There's a surprise :rolleyes:

I suspect we will be too. Not that we earn loads, far from it. But it will be very interesting to see who actually does get something out of this scheme and if it actually does benefit working parents at all.

Well it told me i was entitled to €100 or so a month as opposed to the €177 a week i had earlier thought!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭frash

My childcare provider told us there's no point in applying as we're getting the same amount in the CCSP (Community Childcare Subvention (CCS) Programme)

Anyone know anything about this?

frash wrote: »
    My childcare provider told us there's no point in applying as we're getting the same amount in the CCSP (Community Childcare Subvention (CCS) Programme)

Anyone know anything about this?

Our provider gave us a choice - as what we will get is the same i.e the universal payment of Euro80. We applied anyway, but essentially there is zero difference as we were getting Euro80 a month under the other scheme. Its really only advantageous to those who will get something under the income assessed scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭frash

jaja321 wrote: »
    Our provider gave us a choice - as what we will get is the same i.e the universal payment of Euro80. We applied anyway, but essentially there is zero difference as we were getting Euro80 a month under the other scheme. Its really only advantageous to those who will get something under the income assessed scheme.

Thanks for confirming

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LCARDEN

Has anyone had any luck with their income assessed application yet? I must have been one of the first applicants and not a word yet

I completed mine online today. when did you put yours in?

LCARDEN wrote: »
    Has anyone had any luck with their income assessed application yet? I must have been one of the first applicants and not a word yet

No word, I submitted on November 19! Cannot get any sort of update. I say we are being left til last

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LCARDEN

Iamhere wrote: »
    No word, I submitted on November 19! Cannot get any sort of update. I say we are being left til last

I got mine in on the 19th too. Very frustrating seeing as we were led to think it would be a matter of days

I got mine in on the 19th too. Very frustrating seeing as we were led to think it would be a matter of days

From what I have seen, it's universal only applications first, then income based working off last tax year next.

My wife went part time this year so we went for assessment based on this tax year, I thought it would be first come first served assessment, but no!

Rang the helpline spoke to a helpful supervisor but their hand's are tied!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It’s an absolutely ridiculous scheme, no need for it to be so convoluted. They should have just done a tax credit system that people can get when doing a tax return based on what they paid for the year. Scale it based on earnings, eg under 20k 20%, 40k 15%, 60k 10% etc. revenue are good at what they do, have the systems and earnings would have saved a massive overhead to Creche’s who will just increase fees and may have actually helped working families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

My income assessed application was approved on the 27th. I applied the first day applications open

Advertisement