Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-05-2020, 23:53   #1696
RandomViewer
Registered User
 
RandomViewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Turnpike View Post
That's not a real movie is it!?
TV3 used to show it, got about 15 minutes of it once and I've sat through some crap movies,
RandomViewer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2020, 02:07   #1697
RabbleRouser2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by George White View Post
I met him once at an IFTA thing for Neil Marshall about five years ago, and I tried to stop myself from bursting out in laughter at the sheer ridiculousness of him.
He spoke in this ludicrous faux-American accent, like some country and Irish obsessive. I presumed he was an American who had been here for a while.

I remember he posted on the day of Lauren Bacall's death a photo of him with a woman who he said was Bacall, but was clearly Barbara Bain from Mission Impossible and Space 1999.
Jesus, what an idiot. He sounds a right plonker. God...starting to wonder if he credited Morgan Freeman, but might have been talking to Nelson Mandela.

I believe he swiped the name of the film from Gladiator. 'Strength and Honor' is Maximus motto in that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomViewer View Post
TV3 used to show it, got about 15 minutes of it once and I've sat through some crap movies,
I think my brother got stuck watching it one night. Absolutely dreadful.
The movie had plenty of one star reviews.

I remember Michael Madsen and Mahon were interviewed by Tubridy... and Madsen demoe'd his 'Irish' accent.
It was not good. No matter how Tubridy 'tried' to spin it as good.

(There's an interview on the official fb page, have no idea what the show was. But they show clips from the film... and honestly. the clip they show of 'Mammy' made me burst out laughing... it's sooo bad and over acted. The end of the interview-aiming for a Summer shoot with his next film-this interview's from 2007/ 2008 or so).

https://www.facebook.com/Strengthand...s/97207596397/

A friend of mine did a few short films that came out in film festivals. Knowing the trials and tribulations of getting scripts, funding, finding a director, actors, and so on, his opinion of Mahon was 'total faker'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Turnpike View Post
That's not a real movie is it!?
Sadly, it is. Co-stars Finbar furey, Pat Shortt, and many 'that guy/ gal' Irish actors.. No major names, tho.
I think Mahon benefited from the Celtic Tiger 'economy'-as in it was all false successes, where money was thrown at people, even if the end product was s**t. Round the time the film came out, the Tiger was slowly dying. (Nobody told Mahon tho-in 2013 he was still touting his own ego).

It says a lot that TV3 only showed this a few times. They (VM1 now) repeat 'Watermelon' (that s**te Anna Friel tv movie) every 6 months or so. And they used to be addicted to repeating the TV movie 'Two against Time'.

Last edited by RabbleRouser2k; 29-05-2020 at 03:21.
RabbleRouser2k is offline  
29-05-2020, 22:34   #1698
George White
Registered User
 
George White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,097
He was ludicrous, a la NiallToibin in Eat the Peach, as the faux-Texan showman.
I was forever thinking, "is this guy for real?"
He sounded vaguely Elvis-esque.
George White is offline  
29-05-2020, 22:42   #1699
1 sheep2
Registered User
 
1 sheep2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 103
I liked Craig Doyle. Loads of reasons TV shows fail and his success abroad proves he has talent. Don't know why the producer is being criticised for persevering with him. Lots of celebrated TV wouldn't have happened if a producer didn't stick to their guns when things seemed not to be working.
1 sheep2 is offline  
30-05-2020, 23:37   #1700
RabbleRouser2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 sheep2 View Post
I liked Craig Doyle. Loads of reasons TV shows fail and his success abroad proves he has talent. Don't know why the producer is being criticised for persevering with him. Lots of celebrated TV wouldn't have happened if a producer didn't stick to their guns when things seemed not to be working.
You can like Doyle. But the issue with Doyle was that he's a sports person, first and foremost. It's where he started, it's where he's suited.

When he got to RTE... they liked him WAY too much... so they put him into shows where he was not suited.(Similar with Grainne Seoige, but they got her on a budget-she'd fled sky News Ireland after it sank and burned').
If you're doing 10-15 minute segments, that's fine.

But if you're trying to host a hour or hour and a half long show, where you have to be 'on' for much longer.. it can expose the cracks.
RTe spent a LOT of money on him. They put him in Craig Doyle Live, Live Tonight with Craig Doyle, some show like 'Hanging with Hector' that I forget the name of, The Social and The Panel.

He didn't connect-even his 'Hector-like show' he described as 'sh**e'. (And, as RTE secret producer noted, the people on his show messed up the 'hashtag' on the first episode of The Social)
RabbleRouser2k is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2020, 17:10   #1701
Hangdogroad
Registered User
 
Hangdogroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbleRouser2k View Post
You can like Doyle. But the issue with Doyle was that he's a sports person, first and foremost. It's where he started, it's where he's suited.

When he got to RTE... they liked him WAY too much... so they put him into shows where he was not suited.(Similar with Grainne Seoige, but they got her on a budget-she'd fled sky News Ireland after it sank and burned').
If you're doing 10-15 minute segments, that's fine.

But if you're trying to host a hour or hour and a half long show, where you have to be 'on' for much longer.. it can expose the cracks.
RTe spent a LOT of money on him. They put him in Craig Doyle Live, Live Tonight with Craig Doyle, some show like 'Hanging with Hector' that I forget the name of, The Social and The Panel.

He didn't connect-even his 'Hector-like show' he described as 'sh**e'. (And, as RTE secret producer noted, the people on his show messed up the 'hashtag' on the first episode of The Social)
His tenure on the Panel was the final nail in its coffin, though TBH it had been on a downward spiral for a long time.
Hangdogroad is offline  
Thanks from:
31-05-2020, 22:36   #1702
RabbleRouser2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangdogroad View Post
His tenure on the Panel was the final nail in its coffin, though TBH it had been on a downward spiral for a long time.
It was running on steam after 2 series. Ireland just doesn't have any 'celebs' to keep a show like that going.
The show started in Australia, where there's a plethora of people, and talent.

Over here, it's 3 episodes before they bring on Twink or Samantha Mumba.
RabbleRouser2k is offline  
(2) thanks from:
26-06-2020, 07:47   #1703
Hangdogroad
Registered User
 
Hangdogroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 772
Anyone remember a female Asian presenter on Anything Goes in the 80s? She might have been Chinese or Vietnamese. She wasn't one of the main presenters but there was some niche slot she would do.
Hangdogroad is offline  
26-06-2020, 08:04   #1704
George White
Registered User
 
George White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,097
Anyone know what happened to Jonathan Rachel Clynch? Seemingly disappeared by RTE after they came out, despite promises they'd continue working there.
George White is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2020, 12:49   #1705
RabbleRouser2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by George White View Post
Anyone know what happened to Jonathan Rachel Clynch? Seemingly disappeared by RTE after they came out, despite promises they'd continue working there.
Man... that's a name I literally never heard again after their coming out.

I do know there was a planned interview with either Marian Finucane, or Miriam, and that was axed because some of the media were getting intrusive into Clynch's life.

A shame.
RabbleRouser2k is offline  
26-06-2020, 18:56   #1706
George White
Registered User
 
George White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,097
Yeah, as someone who identifies as genderfluid myself, it's a bummer. I've constantly googled Mx. Clynch, and nothing seems to come up post-that announcement.
No features written by them, no profiles, no nothing.
If you are out there, Jonathan Rachel, please just say something to let us know you're okay.
George White is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet