Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Couple of Useful sites for people Taking up guitar

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Any recommendations on guitar books for improvers?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm a lefty and got a lefty guitar today. Gotta say, I was shocked at how little dexterity I have in my right hand atm...any tips on improving this? All the sites I've read say the chromatic scale is the best, but I'm finding this a pain in the hole as well (will stick with it though, can't hurt.)

Also was wondering if I'll be ok to follow online lessons (as they all use righty guitars)? As in, is there any difference in how the chords are constructed, apart from the obvious "opposite hand" answer?

Also, a huge +1 to www.justinguitar.com which is great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Just about to start a Thread and spotted this one...

1) What would be a good site to get the Chords for well known songs from? In a nicely laid out format?

2) Is their anywhere with some good well explained short beginner Videos, I want to make.....like a tutorial DVD out of a few good ones.

3) What are some good easy songs for a beginner (not me) to learn to play, would "James Blunts, Your're Beautiful" be a good one?

Thanks for any response, some of my questions are probably answered in the Thread already, I didn't have time to read it just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 studybuddy1

Hi guys,
    I've recently come into alot of free time and I was thinking of using it positively by taking up the guitar. I'm no spring chicken but I absolutely love music and always have. Since I'm only beginning and have no knowledge of music theory I was just wondering do ye have any advice on what is the best way to learn to play and what is the best way to go about it.Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I'd like to recommend yourguitarsage.com. Iv only discovered it in the last few days but a great range of songs for beginners with some more advanced blues stuff thrown in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SassyGirl_1

Been following this guy's lessons for the last few weeks:

He has a site too with a huge lesson plan. He's also more of a "technique" teacher and his cord exploration lessons are spot on.

ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

has to be
    www.justinguitar.com
    it has lots and lots of videos which I think is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Royal82

dimerocks wrote: »
    I was just looking around the wonderful net that we live in the other day and found some pretty interesting sites. Just said I would post them and people could use them at will. Maybe a sticky.
    http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/ - Nice Simple Lessons goes through scales and all that.
    http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/ - An excellent resource site on chords and scales. I am using this and Paperless Printer so put all the things onto my PSP for mobile chord sheets!
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/ - Haven't actually used this one but sure said I would throw it on anyway, looks to have some good articles.
    http://www.zentao.com/guitar/ - Theory and stuff covered for basic and advanced.
    http://guitargeek.com/ - Rig database so you can see how others set up.
    Thats all I can find that I have saved the links for. People should feel free to add more stuff to this list.
    Very helpful, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shero321

Kenny_D wrote: »

Hay, some really good links there, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Has anyone got some up to date resources to look into. These are at least 6 years old but have any of them held their value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Has anyone got some up to date resources to look into. These are at least 6 years old but have any of them held their value?
    A guy called Andy Guitar on Youtube has some good lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Tried following him before, and tried Justin Guitar before as well. Didn't really gel with either. Might be the Youtube format. Looking for alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Justinguitar must be the most widely recommended teacher on the web, and is fantastic, but his style didn't gel with me either.

I found Guitartricks really good. Lots of lessons and 1000s of song tutorials with full tab. There's regular options for 100e annual subs and I've kept mine up although I don't use it as much now. If you were to use it as your only lessons site it would be worth double IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

also martymusic and paul David worth a look. Especially Paul David, his lessons look really good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Has anyone tried udemy. com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Theguitarlesson.com

Excellent website, he also replies to emails very quickly. You don't have to be a member or anything like that.

Advertisement