Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Blacks v Irish property developers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

U working class?

Neither of my parents have - had a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 66,783 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Ok Francie. I seem to have annoyed you with things i didnt say. Best of luck in 4 years. That semi-final will happen someday. At least there's no qualification to worry about ;)

As for the "wouldnt last ten minutes" comments - great stuff. Tough men. Mighty. Now add some ball skills and, crucially, some bottle to that toughness and maybe your lads wouldnt be getting humiliated on the biggest stage. Anyways, chin yup Francie ;)

:):) You haven't been watching the international soccer I have been watching this last while so.

The resources in players, and clubs we have in this country, and all we are famous for is paying it's chief executive obscene money and all the rest of the shame around that.

I will be watching rugby again this weekend and into the future. I am not one to lose my **** or drop my chin for long over a sport really. Some people might want to have a look at themselves in that regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

:):) You haven't been watching the international soccer I have been watching this last while so.

The resources in players, and clubs we have in this country, and all we are famous for is paying it's chief executive obscene money and all the rest of the shame around that.

I will be watching rugby again this weekend and into the future. I am not one to lose my **** or drop my chin for long over a sport really. Some people might want to have a look at themselves in that regard.

Lol Francie you are the only one annoyed here making assumptions and throwing around accusations. All the smiley faces in the world wont hide that this has got to you. Why you mad, bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

You're such an impressive individual.

I'm impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Either you support your country or you don't.

• Advertisement

Lol Francie you are the only one annoyed here making assumptions and throwing around accusations. All the smiley faces in the world wont hide that this has got to you. Why you mad, bro?

Nice switch there.
    You are the poster who is sick of irish Rugby (as all of Ireland are too apparently)
    because there wasn't a documentary made about a win Irish soccer had. :D:D

And I am the one who is 'mad'.

Smiley faces are to show that I am smiling (laughing actually). Here's another few :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Most dont take supplements

Past 16 they do, you'd be surprised

Nice switch there.
    You are the poster who is sick of irish Rugby (as all of Ireland are too apparently)
    because there wasn't a documentary made about a win Irish soccer had. :D:D

And I am the one who is 'mad'.

Smiley faces are to show that I am smiling (laughing actually). Here's another few :D:D:D

Oh dear, Francie. I think you need to go back and read what was said by me. I think you got all mad and it has clouded your comprehension skills.

Laughing on your own at things that arent really all that amusing is quite worrying behaviour. My bet is you arent laughing at all but feel a need to portray serenity whilst boiling away.

A Rugby World Cup QF being the equivalent of a football World Cup QF. Now that is amusing :)

Oh dear, Francie. I think you need to go back and read what was said by me. I think you got all mad and it has clouded your comprehension skills.

Laughing on your own at things that arent really all that amusing is quite worrying behaviour. My bet is you arent laughing at all but feel a need to portray serenity whilst boiling away.

A Rugby World Cup QF being the equivalent of a football World Cup QF. Now that is amusing :)

Eh...it t'were thou who wanted a documentary on winning a WC qualifier. :):)

Again, who is the 'mad' one?

My despair as I said, is that there are so many crawling out from dark abodes to have a go on the forums of a sport they seem to either not like, don't like the people who play or who enjoy it, or are jealous that it seems to get more coverage or more attention than their fav sport.

Sad really, and an indicator of lives not quite fulfilled.

Eh...it t'were thou who wanted a documentary on winning a WC qualifier. :):)

Again, who is the 'mad' one?

My despair as I said, is that there are so many crawling out from dark abodes to have a go on the forums of a sport they seem to either not like, don't like the people who play or who enjoy it, or are jealous that it seems to get more coverage or more attention than their fav sport.

Sad really, and an indicator of lives not quite fulfilled.

None of the above is what was said. You do realise this is all within the last 2 or 3 pages on this thread? You do realise people will think you're a complete child if they take 10 seconds to check?

Lose the despair Francie. 4 more years and you can have another crack at the coveted semi finals. Let's face it, those were great wins against Scotland, Russia and Samoa. The team of us.

Ps this is After Hours, not the rugby forum.

PPS Lives unfulfilled says the man with 25,000 posts on Boards.ie

• Advertisement

None of the above is what was said. You do realise this is all within the last 2 or 3 pages on this thread? You do realise people will think you're a complete child if they take 10 seconds to check?

Lose the despair Francie. 4 more years and you can have another crack at the coveted semi finals. Let's face it, those were great wins against Scotland, Russia and Samoa. The team of us.

Ps this is After Hours, not the rugby forum.

So you didn't make this comment then? I hate it when people haven't the balls to own what they say. Good luck to you. AH must mean you can just pretend you didn't say something.

SJW Lover wrote:
    Ireland beat the world champions Germany in a soccer qualifier a few years ago. An actual competitive qualifier and a brilliant win. Was there a documentary made about it? There's your answer as to why some people are sick of irish rugby. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I enjoy watching rugby ( prefer soccer but watching rugby since I was nine) but still can't understand rules surrounding rucks, breakdown etc

I can recognise turnovers and the aftermath of rucks but the technical details i struggle with, doesn't really hinder my following the game but i sort of have to wait while many phases of a game sort themselves out
    its not that difficult to follow though. There is many key factors relevant to all areas of game and they make it far easier to understand what you can then do as a result. Laws around ruck which is breakdown...are not that complicated.
    Mike9832 wrote: »
    Past 16 they do, you'd be surprised
    as a former player and was involved in regional squads for a time. Also having coached and refereed in the sport. Have many friends who played to high level. Saying many isnt true.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Outside the Six Nations, has Ireland ever won a major international sporting contest at anything at all?

McGregor, or if you object to him, Katie Taylor

Pádraig Harrington and Paul McGinley won the World Cup of golf for Ireland in 97, and Harrington has won 3 major golf titles.

If you want to include the North, there's McIlroy, Joey Dunlop and Jonathan Rea as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Either you support your country or you don't.

Some people look at the rugby team and see
    1. Rory Best OBE and other northerners of Unionist backgrounds
    2. Mercenaries from SA & NZ
    3. Posh lads from fee paying schools
    4. Token few from Limerick making up the numbers

Throw in the fact that they don't play the National Anthem because it's not a ROI team.
    Then add all the team-of-us, and this-is-rugby-country b0110x and you can see how a large portion of the population do not like rugby or the rugby crowd one bit.

Some people look at the rugby team and see
    1. Rory Best OBE and other northerners of Unionist backgrounds
    2. Mercenaries from SA & NZ
    3. Posh lads from fee paying schools
    4. Token few from Limerick making up the numbers

Throw in the fact that they don't play the National Anthem because it's not a ROI team.
    Then add all the team-of-us, and this-is-rugby-country b0110x and you can see how a large portion of the population do not like rugby or the rugby crowd one bit.

How big is this 'large portion'?

Have you figures? Seems to me the big money sponsors come up with those slogans not because they particularly like rugby, but because there is money to be made.
    For instance: The Grand Slam decider in 2018 was the most viewed sporting event on television that year, attracting over 100,000 more viewers than the GAA All Ireland final.

So you didn't make this comment then? I hate it when people haven't the balls to own what they say. Good luck to you. AH must mean you can just pretend you didn't say something.

You've just quoted proof that i didnt say what you are alleging i said.

How do you go from this:
    Ireland beat the world champions Germany in a soccer qualifier a few years ago. An actual competitive qualifier and a brilliant win. Was there a documentary made about it? There's your answer as to why some people are sick of irish rugby. You're welcome.

to thinking the below is what was said?

Nice switch there.
    because there wasn't a documentary made about a win Irish soccer had. biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Eh...it t'were thou who wanted a documentary on winning a WC qualifier. smile.pngsmile.png

You're making a clown of yourself :pac:

You've just quoted proof that i didnt say what you are alleging i said.

How do you go from the above statement by me to thinking the below is what was said?

You're making a clown of yourself :pac:

Ah, so now you were 'speaking for others' ...is that the switch. :)

Maybe you don't know what it is you are saying is the problem.

Read what i said. Its in black and white. Then, i'll accept your apology if its genuine.

Read what i said. Its in black and white. Then, i'll accept your apology if its genuine.

I did.

You were speaking for others and presented that as evidence for why 'some' people are sick of Irish rugby.

then you asked us to thank you for proving the 'case'.

You sir/madam are full of it. Not a scintilla of back-up for how many 'some people' are. Is it those sitting around you in the caf or pub, or is there scientific data for this 'some'?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

To be fair Francie you're the only one that seems confused here.

I can understand that a blinkered, almost deluded view that seems to be an inbuilt characteristic of large cohorts of rugby fans in this country can leave such individuals upset and defensive. Just read the words of posts, and don't respond in a manner that comes across like you know it all.

• Advertisement

I did.

You were speaking for others and presented that as evidence for why 'some' people are sick of Irish rugby.

then you asked us to thank you for proving the 'case'.

You sir/madam are full of it. Not a scintilla of back-up for how many 'some people' are. Is it those sitting around you in the caf or pub, or is there scientific data for this 'some'?

So you're now complaining that my comment doesnt match your mistaken reading of it and subsequent argument based on same flawed reading?

I've tried Francie. You seem intent on winning the argument you've created for yourself and in which you are arguing alone. A life unfulfilled indeed Mr. 25,000 posts.

Earleybird wrote: »

I can understand that a blinkered, almost deluded view that seems to be an inbuilt characteristic of large cohorts of rugby fans in this country can leave such individuals upset and defensive. Just read the words of posts, and don't respond in a manner that comes across like you know it all.

Thanks Earleybird. He does seem very, very confused.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How big is this 'large portion'?

Have you figures? Seems to me the big money sponsors come up with those slogans not because they particularly like rugby, but because there is money to be made.
    For instance: The Grand Slam decider in 2018 was the most viewed sporting event on television that year, attracting over 100,000 more viewers than the GAA All Ireland final.

It's not a large portion. You have people who like rugby, people who don't, and some oddballs with an inferiority complex who don't think they're good enough to watch it or whatever.

I am the only one presenting figures and data.

Perhaps you know these 'some people' too that are worthy of basing an argument on. :)

SJW is busy now trying to drag the debate into a personal spat using the only data he seems to have...the number of posts I have made on the site. :)

awec wrote: »
    It's not a large portion. You have people who like rugby, people who don't, and some oddballs with an inferiority complex who don't think they're good enough to watch it or whatever.

Yeh, I have kinda come to that conclusion.

I don't visit the forums of sports I have no interest in, but would follow a thread if somebody was doing well in an event just to enjoy the excitement of real fans and supporters. Like Katie Taylor for example.

I wonder do other sports forums attract these rather strange haters when a team/individual doesn't do as hoped?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

I wonder do other sports forums attract these rather strange haters when a team/individual doesn't do as hoped?

Only when they're equally as overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

doughef wrote: »
    I can’t wait until the ars* falls out of the rugby all together .
    A baron decade ... sponsors running for the hills ., and all the kids hovered up by the GAA...

.. a proper organisation 😎

The GAA isn't well run. Lieing to have games moved to increase revenue, scheduling a game on the same time as the WC final and staying anyone who wasn't at the GAA game wasn't a real fan. It does look after clubs in terms of funding but the attitude from central council can be very lacking.

I am the only one presenting figures and data.

Perhaps you know these 'some people' too that are worthy of basing an argument on. :)

SJW is busy now trying to drag the debate into a personal spat using the only data he seems to have...the number of posts I have made on the site. :)

You havent produced any figures and data, Francie. All you've done is disingenuously mis-quote and misrepresent pretty basic statements i have made. You're making a fool of yourself.

Only when they're equally as overhyped.

My granny who lived in an age long before social media and even widely avaialble television had a little saying that warned about hype:

'Paper never refused ink', if you are gullible enough to believe it, put your hands up to that first maybe?

Real fans were hopeful but know what the margins for success are.

• Advertisement

My granny who lived in an age long before social media and even widely avaialble television had a little saying that warned about hype:

'Paper never refused ink', if you are gullible enough to believe it, put your hands up to that first maybe?

Real fans were hopeful but know what the margins for success are.

Is Jamie Heaslip a real fan? :pac:

Advertisement