Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Greyfox wrote: »
    I'm agnostic and I admire and respect atheists, I wish I was brave enough to leave behind the happily ever after fairytale

I think it's a lot easier to take an absolute position either way, it takes the element of speculation out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

It rather depends on the God being floated. For most day-to-day gods that actual people believe in, I really do actively believe they do not exist. Most are like someone calling you to say there is a live dinosaur stomping around your garden right now. No, I believe that that is not true.

True there are SOME gods you can actively disbelieve in because some claim about them is actively falsifiable or self contradictory.

Like a "Married Bachelor" can not exist by definition, there are claims about gods you can say straight off do not exist.

For example if the god of the bible is claimed to be all powerful but ALSO it is claimed he was rendered ineffectual by chariots of iron....

In a debate between Dan Barker and the unfortunately but aptly named Kyle Butt.... Barker lays out many of these Biblical "Married Bachelor" moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Agnosticism is identical in every practical way to atheism except that agnostics think they get to look down on atheists.
    Because all the atheists end up down in Hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Because all the atheists end up down in Hell?

Yes, with the litterers and people who work in marketing ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Agnosticism is identical in every practical way to atheism except that agnostics think they get to look down on atheists.

Only the Atheists who think they're looked down upon...

So you're an atheist :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Or

Agnostics aren't arsed with the whole thing, either way.

Religion or the existence or non-existence of God plays no part in my life. It just doesn't feature.

Like cricket.

Unless it pops up, such as this thread, or something stupid like the Angelus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

No he clearly doesn't exist. Jesus was only a man as well.

When you die, your brain and all the electrical signals, and chemistry die with your death. How would anything else be feasible.

As Bill Maher saids, until he comes down at half time in the superbowl im 100 per cent certain he doesn't exist.

Even if there was a God he wouldn't give two ****s about our lives as evidenced by all the terrible awful things that happen to billions of people throughout the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yeah ..he's a really nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

My personal theory is, Probably not.
    But something started this whole universe thingy we are part of? or was it a cosmic accident?

If God does exist then he certainly has lost interest, or perhaps his mum has called him in to eat his dinner or he needed to use the toilet. Even a small distraction for God would be equivalent to millennia to us mere mortals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is bollocks, frankly. Individuals are responsible for their own attitudes and behaviours towards other people. The Church isn’t responsible for any crimes, it’s the small number of individuals within the Church who are responsible for committing the most heinous crimes against individuals since the State got independence.

The RC church knew exactly what was going on in its ranks. In mother and baby homes, magdalene laundries and industrial schools, suffering and abuse was policy. In relation to sex abuse, the church knew who the abusers were but just moved them around, shielded them from justice and enabled them to find more and more victims. In many cases, abusers were promoted within the church and/or given a cushy number in the Vatican, safe from extradition.

The church is absolutely responsible for the crimes it facilitated and covered up.

That sort of argument flies in the face of our judicial system where we hold individuals responsible for their crimes, rather than maintaining that a group of people are responsible for criminal acts committed by individuals.

They are responsible when they conspire to pervert the course of justice.
    There's also the question of moral responsibility as well as legal responsibility.

Well, it was just a few individuals who ruined it for everyone. That’s exactly my point. Your perspective is “Reds under the bed” style stuff - fearmongering, suspicion and paranoid nonsense. I’m not going to go so far as to say you’re delusional though, I just don’t share your perspective is all.

So why did the church protect these few individuals, instead of rooting them out? To protect their power and income, "scandal" had to be hushed up at all costs - the welfare of children, laundry inmates etc. simply didn't merit consideration.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth...

And in Jesus Christ His only Son, Our Lord...

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life.

Amen.

G'night!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

PS the thread asks if you believe in God, not if you believe in religion... two very different questions.

The pedantism on this thread from the theists is something else.

I don't have to believe in religion, I know it exists, unfortunately.

You believe in / don't believe in a deity

You are a member of / not a member of a religion

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    PS the thread asks if you believe in God, not if you believe in religion... two very different questions.

Who do you think wrote the prayer you quoted above?
    Who taught it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Who taught it to you?

Isn't it interesting how so many believers who totally believe in the correct god (or gods) just happen to have been born in a place where they were taught about the correct gods as children?

Versus all those foreign people who believe in false gods, just unlucky to be born in the wrong place, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Isn't it interesting how so many believers who totally believe in the correct god (or gods) just happen to have been born in a place where they were taught about the correct gods as children?

Versus all those foreign people who believe in false gods, just unlucky to be born in the wrong place, I suppose.

Its amazing that none of us in Ireland going to mass grew up Muslim or none of the people in Pakistan going to the mosque grew up Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

And those people living in the wrong place believing in false gods are quite happy, because they know that their gods are real. Any similarity to the attitude of religious people here in Ireland is, of course, purely coincidental...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My personal theory is, Probably not.
    But something started this whole universe thingy we are part of? or was it a cosmic accident?
    The thing that started this whole universe thingy - how was that created?

Graces7 wrote: »
    I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth...

And in Jesus Christ His only Son, Our Lord...

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life.

Amen.
    Any chance you could ask him why he gives life to some and then takes it back in the form of childhood cancer, where parents what their child wasting away?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's actually scary to think that the Catholic church were able to convince grown adults to believe that you could do the most despicable acts and be an absolute thug and yet if you went into a box and confessed to a priest you would be completely absolved of these acts while OTOH a good living person who happened to eat meat on a Friday(probably because they were hungry) could go to hell if they happened to die before they got to confession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I personally don't but if it works for others and they are not harming anyone else in the name of whatever God they believe in or forcing or imposing those views on others, or thinking their views make them superior to others with different views, knock yourself out people. Whatever gets your thru the day, live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

terrydel wrote: »
    I personally don't but if it works for others and they are not harming anyone else in the name of whatever God they believe in or forcing or imposing those views on others, or thinking their views make them superior to others with different views, knock yourself out people. Whatever gets your thru the day, live and let live.

That's the problem though, the religious feel that they have the right message and they have a duty to make everybody else "see the light". Killing a few tens of thousands on the way would seem to be acceptable collateral damage.

Unfortunately Terry that's not what religions do. They proselytise and try to influence the laws which everyone must live under. Segregate kids at age 4 or 5 and start indoctrinating them.

The RCC tried to stop the last three referendums we passed. They say they are speaking to their "flock" but when they go on TV, radio, newspapers they are speaking to everyone. If they really want to speak to their "flock" then they have churches for that purpose.

At least these days, most politicians have the sense to ignore them.

As if that organisation has any moral authority left after what it did and what it's still doing.

Someone posted ealier that they respect priests, I respect the priests who had the courage to get up and leave that sham of an organisation. Not the ones who stay and by inaction endorse the abuse cover-up.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

terrydel wrote: »

I agree, and would happily defend someone's right to be religious. My mother is 85 and her faith is important to her, so I stay off the subject. Even if she expresses the occasional doubt, I prefer to let it pass rather than pounce on it as an opportunity to "convert her". Being right isn't always the most important thing.

However...when someone in a scenario more similar to a debate quotes the bible as if that somehow constitutes a reasoned argument, or when a religious person hallucinates that they're some how more intelligent or moral because they've "found" the answer, I'm less inclined to tiptoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This thread is far more interesting if you are on Chrome and have enabled this extension.

I don't watch it but anytime I did, I didn't see any religious symbolism in it. If Catholics continue to see it as a call to prayer then so what if it isn't? Pause and reflect isn't a bad thing for people to do. If people are getting their knickers in a twist because a bell rings for 1 minute twice a day, then they have little to worry them.

It absolutely is a call to prayer. Its name is a catholic call to prayer. Its pattern of bell-ringing is a catholic call to prayer.
    RTE have taken out the religious iconography in recent years and let on it's about "reflection" etc. but a wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

Would you be happy to have e.g. a muslim call to prayer on our state broadcaster on a daily basis?

This is promotion of a specific religion at a peak viewing time and is entirely inappropriate.

Anyone who wants to listen to bells ringing at a specific time can easily do that themselves, same as there are prayer apps etc. for muslims living here, where calls to prayer from mosques are generally not allowed.

Now if we could only get the bloody annoying church bells slienced! :)

Life ain't always empty.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Unfortunately Terry that's not what religions do. They proselytise and try to influence the laws which everyone must live under. Segregate kids at age 4 or 5 and start indoctrinating them.

The RCC tried to stop the last three referendums we passed. They say they are speaking to their "flock" but when they go on TV, radio, newspapers they are speaking to everyone. If they really want to speak to their "flock" then they have churches for that purpose.

At least these days, most politicians have the sense to ignore them.

As if that organisation has any moral authority left after what it did and what it's still doing.

Someone posted ealier that they respect priests, I respect the priests who had the courage to get up and lerheave that sham of an organisation. Not the ones who stay and by inaction endorse the abuse cover-up.

The media did their best to get those referendums passed, so what if the church tried to make them fail?

Unless you assume right is on your side?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It absolutely is a call to prayer. Its name is a catholic call to prayer. Its pattern of bell-ringing is a catholic call to prayer.
    RTE have taken out the religious iconography in recent years and let on it's about "reflection" etc. but a wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

Would you be happy to have e.g. a muslim call to prayer on our state broadcaster on a daily basis?

This is promotion of a specific religion at a peak viewing time and is entirely inappropriate.

Anyone who wants to listen to bells ringing at a specific time can easily do that themselves, same as there are prayer apps etc. for muslims living here, where calls to prayer from mosques are generally not allowed.

Now if we could only get the bloody annoying church bells slienced! :)

As an aside, the Islamic Call to Prayer when heard live in in Islamic country - as an absolute thing of beauty. Even at 6am.

The Angelus most certainly had religious imagery - especially around Christmas and Easter - but it had a lot of non-religious imagery too. It's an actual prayer, though, as opposed to a call.
    https://www.catholic.com/qa/what-is-the-angelus

ON a humorous note...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Yes, the Angelus is a call to prayer to say the prayer called the Angelus...

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement