Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2019 Babies Club

• 14-02-2019 5:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm pregnant with my first, due in early October. I was due to emigrate with my boyfriend but I guess this changes everything. We're both delighted though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Congratulations! It will be even more of an adventure than emigrating. Exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KimberlyC

Congratulations, its the adventure of a lifetime!

I got my BFP on Valentines day, this will be my third, I have been getting quite bad cramping though since about 5DPO, much more noticeable than on my last 2 pregnancies. Wondered if anyone else felt cramps got worse in subsequent pregnancies? Due mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Pregnant with my first, delighted as I was getting ready to have investigations done as to why it wasn't happening. Still can't believe it. Unsure of due date as periods are irregular but estimating end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

congratulations all very exciting times ahead.. It is wonderful, very early days yet for ourselfs but found out we are expecting no. 2 in october

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Hi all. 8 weeks pregnant with my first, due 13 October. How is everyone feeling? I was so excited at first but now I can't think past the morning sickness. I've had a tough time of it with all day nausea for the past 3 weeks. So hard to keep it a secret from work and family when I'm not on form at all 😟

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

9 weeks today and I also have morning sickness, all day, every day. It's tiring.

maybe it is the time of year, never had morning sickness or felt ill with my first and this time around have had a few moments. Havent got sick yet but close.. I dont know how id handle it, i hate being sick :) hopefully it will pass for ye all

Feeling very nauseous here too, but I'm lucky that I don't have it all day so I am just about able to hide it at work! Hope it passes for everyone soon don't know how ye are managing with all day sickness it must be so tough!!

Quick question for ladies who have done this before :) (I have but only second time) I got our 1st app and have arranged the dating scan on the same day. We were both going to go and then of course the little miss would have to come with us. I just see it says that children are not aloud in for the scans :0 can I ask if this is a defo, or do they mean kids like who would be running around

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If the letter says don't bring children, what it means is don't bring them. Its a medical exam, not a family day out. Leave your baby with a sitter.

The scan might be exciting for you but there are still a lot of calculations and measurements that the sonographer needs to record for medical reason and needs to concentrate. Bringing a toddler or baby along is a distraction for the sonographer, and for the parents.

And bear in mind that some couples are back for repeat scans because of bad news. To be confronted with other happy couples is hard enough but if there's a pram and little baby there it would be even harder for them.

• Advertisement

Coming across as a little harsh there Neyite.. It is the first scan so just a dating scan, nothing overly invasive or anything like that. Also I might just have to bring the little one, as I dont have a sitter...

I would not dream of bringing a high strung child in but herself is quite the pleasant little miss so i would see no issue

I understand people may be going in for repeat scans which might result in bad news, but that chances of seeing a baby in a maternity hospital are quite high...

Ill just ring again and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Sorry popping in from an old thread but still following the forum and saw your question.

I saw a couple with a toddler being asked to have the dad remain in the waiting room with the baby. Bear in mind that your partner may miss the scan for this reason.

Of course there are lots of babies in maternity hospitals, but usually only passing by in corridors, not spending time in waiting rooms with nervous couples. While your scan is a dating scan, Neyite is right that there could be people having follow up scans with potentially devastating news on the horizon. They could do without a beautiful little one being anywhere near them, no matter how well behaved.

By all means ring the hospital and see what they say, but there will be other couples there respecting the request to not bring their other children. I know some of what I'm saying comes across as harsh too, but you've asked for answers online and these answers are based on people's experiences.

If at all possible for yourselves, ask a family member to mind the baby for a few hours, enjoy the scan with your partner and go for a coffee afterwards to celebrate the first glimpse of your new baba.

You just say it nice Cash, I get what ye are saying about others, but at the same time I have been to these waiting rooms too and they arent exactly a cornered off waiting room it is actually directly in front of where you are taken in to the labour ward.. Anywho getting away from all that, ill ring and see what they say.

Such a shame it cant happen as I didnt even think it would be an issue. We have no family around really who would be free on the day, so it will probably be that Dad might have to miss it, which is a bummer but we shall celebrate..

In the Coombe it is a small closed off waiting room at the far end of a corridor, with no one else around except those coming for scans, so that's just my experience.

Hopefully the hospital will accommodate you. Maybe they'll ask your partner to wait outside until they're certain that everything is ok and have recorded all the informtaion they need, and maybe they'll allow him to duck in with the baby for a second at the end, that could be some thing they'd consider.

Above all else, good luck with the scan and enjoy it :)

Thanks Cash, thinking of the set up now there, as you have pointed it. It does seem a little odd to have the waiting room there. It is at teh end of the corridoor but right next to the labour ward and the lift where you would come down with your new baby...

twill be fun with the 2nd mind feeling a lot more relaxed about everything this time round. For anyone else if your looking for a site or i know they do an app also the what to expect one is quite good. Gives you all the need to know information about what is going on week by week..

Milly33 wrote:
    Thanks Cash, thinking of the set up now there, as you have pointed it. It does seem a little odd to have the waiting room there. It is at teh end of the corridoor but right next to the labour ward and the lift where you would come down with your new baby...

In the Coombe? The labour ward is upstairs, nowhere near the scanning room. The lift is in the centre of the hospital. The scanning room is at the end of the corridor past the physio room and the perinatal clinic. There is no waiting room beside the lift, although the seats outside the emergency room are right next to the main entrance.

Nope in UHG were not all from the big smoke haha

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Milly33 wrote: »
    Coming across as a little harsh there Neyite.. It is the first scan so just a dating scan, nothing overly invasive or anything like that. Also I might just have to bring the little one, as I dont have a sitter...

I would not dream of bringing a high strung child in but herself is quite the pleasant little miss so i would see no issue

It wasn't intended to be harsh, just factual and actually trying to be helpful.
    Your baby might be perfectly behaved and I'm sure she is, but if exceptions are made for one child then they have to make them for all.

I'm familiar with the ante-natal unit in UHG and there's not much room in the scan rooms for a pram or buggy. It's likely that they'll just tell your husband to wait outside with the baby and he will miss the scan. On one of my scans a buggy was indeed in the scan waiting area but the dad stayed with it. The mother went in on her own.
    I understand people may be going in for repeat scans which might result in bad news, but that chances of seeing a baby in a maternity hospital are quite high...
    It's an ante-natal unit. The maternity unit is adjacent and has a separate entrance and exit so any newborns leave via a different exit. As well as that, when women present with a pregnancy loss, there's a different waiting area to the right of the nurses station and there's different exam rooms they are shown into, around the back of where they do the weight and urine bit. That's at the opposite end of the corridor to the scan area. And they are usually let out the emergency exit to avoid you having to walk the gauntlet past a row of pregnant women.

I've actually sat in that ante natal corridor with a row of expectant women and saw a very distressed couple walk past me on their way back from their scan and I can't imagine how awful that must have been for them to see us all there.
    Ill just ring again and ask
    Probably best.

Had an early scan today and saw a heartbeat, so reassuring and very emotional! It looks like I am about 8 weeks.

How is everyone doing? Hope the sickness is easing for everyone.

Hey Starlady oh you must be over the moon.. It is magical isnt it seeing the heartbeat and just seeing them...

So blessed, 8 weeks was that what ye were thinking? We have ours on the 2nd and it feels like ages away. Finally beginning to feel a little more normal but then I was like i dont even feel pregnant, bar the cold issue...

• Advertisement

Yes we are thrilled it was such a lovely experience.

I wasn't sure but yes I had guessed around 8 weeks. Best of luck, hopefully time will fly between now and then. I did find myself though the waiting was hard but then symptoms started to appear so I was a bit distracted then!

oh the first is so exciting so it is, keeping track of everything just wait for the movements to begin they are so much fun.. Thank you cant wait now to have the scan it is a great reassurance

Had a great weekend here, but didnt feel great kinda a bit stuffy and sick.. Finally feeling a bit normal today.. So cant wait for out scan feels at the moment that its like yeah baby but no proof..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Milly, you can book a private scan and bring your husband and child before your dating scan.

Please don't bring your daughter to your hospital scan. For a variety of reasons it is not a suitable place for children and 5he letter has given you ample notice to make alternative arrangements. I miscarried my first child and when I was in the process of miscarrying and getting checked, some idiot brought her partner, mother AND daughter to the scan, despite there being signs everywhere saying 'no kids'. The grandmother of the child obviously thought she was the best thing ever and kept shoving her in people's faces, trying to get people to pay attention to her. It was a horrendous experience for me and I could see other women in the room were annoyed too.

im not going to ans honestly, but think we should just move on from this loveinapril..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Only jumping in now as I've no dating scan yet but I'm due October 27th going by the doctors dates. I could end up been a November 2019 yet. I'm due my third, have 2 April babies from 2013 and 2014 so this is definitely the last.
    It was a surprise baby as I've always been challenged in the baby department and had fertility treatment for the first two. I've had morning sickness with them all though so that's the one constant I have.
    Looking forward to sharing the journey with ye all

Congrats to ye Synster Shadow!! No, 3 lucky you... I met a lady recently who had 5 and two were 2 weeks old and 15mths I was like wonder woman... Ye must be delighted with the surprise...

Think we are the same with dates the doc said it was more than we thought it was so called Oct but Id say tis early Nov.. We shall see how the scan next week and cant wait for it..

The sickness has hit the house, and while I dont think twice about wine or anything like that I am just mad for some sinutab to clear the head!! Not taken anything except one paracetamol before bed and thats it. On the old clove, lemon and honey mix...

Anyone else getting the chills? I rem being cold with my first but this is mad. Come 6 I will have the heating on full blast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm constantly cold. It's not helping that I've been having health issues and I've to go to the early pregnancy unit Wednesday for an early scan. The stress is real this time with a 5 and 6 year old to keep up with and work.
    I've been on 3 antibiotics already and they can give me no more yet I'm in pain and discomfort every day and awake 4 to 5 hours every night. I'm exhausted at this stage and worried that Wednesday they will find a bigger problem and I'll be admitted to hospital. I'm afraid for the baby cause I'm at major risk of dehydration and even with my best efforts drinking as much as I can I find its not enough.

I know its not the mean thread but feel we're all at the same time in pregnancy so its easier here.

I know the SPD will be here soon too I had it by 15 weeks with the other two

• Advertisement

Oh no synyster!! I feel like i am giving out about nothing now. Hugs coming your way!! sounds like you are going through an awfull ordeal.... What is the SPD!

I hope Wens goes well for you know try not to think the worst.. Wonder women is what ye are, the ladies who do this with older kids..
    I give up typing now i keep deleting it, have you ever tried Lullaby milk? I got rid of the cold but have overheated myself so covered in heat rash. Never got it on my legs before and tis horrible. My hands are killing me very swollen, even my face. Thinking maybe tis a reaction also to something.. On the sleep have you ever tried Lullaby Milk might give you some relief and help you relax more

Advertisement