Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Children Damaging Plants

• 06-06-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had any comeback if children damage plants / trees in front garden or do you just have to just suck it up.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not really, you could ask them to not trample on your plants or talk to their parents but depending on where you live and the likely response, there is not a lot you can do. Plant lots of berberis, pyracantha, roses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks a lot.

It was an eye watering expensive dwarf weeping ornamental tree they damaged. Sat underneath it and ripped off lots of new growth / branches. I would think to replace it would probably cost well over a grand, if not more.

Thankfully, I was here, working from home and caught them before they completely destroyed it.

Had I not been here, they would have ruined it, but they have done a fair bit of damage.

I want to approach the parents to tell them to keep their kids off my property and want to know where I stand before I do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Would you not put up a fence?

Would you not put up a fence?

There is a wall ( 3ft or 4ft) and pillars. The driveways dont have gates and are not suited to gates, but they had to come in the driveway and go behind the wall. So its pretty clear it's my garden rather than the communal type you see with no fences.

Of course you can talk to their parents, if you know who they are, and if you think it is worth the hassle - are they the sort that will respond to a complaint about their children? What kind of age were they? Young enough to see an appealing 'den'? Or old enough to just do deliberate damage.

You have every right to ask parents to direct their children not to go in your garden, but realisitically, through malice or ignorance they could do it again and you would be no further forward.

Meantime, its a very expensive tree to cost €1000 to replace, what is it exactly? Since it is a tree, there is every chance it will regrow. Can you put up a pic?

I'm sorry not to sound all that sympathetic, in fact if it happened to me I would be furious, and would possibly have gone to the parents. I am realistic enough to know though that not all parents will take responsibility for their children. I am also philosophical enough to accept that if I put an eyewateringly expensive tree in an unenclosed, visible front garden I have to take a chance it may be damaged, by weather, kids, something falling on it.

What else would you consider doing about it?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Of course you can talk to their parents, if you know who they are, and if you think it is worth the hassle - are they the sort that will respond to a complaint about their children? What kind of age were they? Young enough to see an appealing 'den'? Or old enough to just do deliberate damage.

You have every right to ask parents to direct their children not to go in your garden, but realisitically, through malice or ignorance they could do it again and you would be no further forward.

Meantime, its a very expensive tree to cost €1000 to replace, what is it exactly? Since it is a tree, there is every chance it will regrow. Can you put up a pic?

I'm sorry not to sound all that sympathetic, in fact if it happened to me I would be furious, and would possibly have gone to the parents. I am realistic enough to know though that not all parents will take responsibility for their children. I am also philosophical enough to accept that if I put an eyewateringly expensive tree in an unenclosed, visible front garden I have to take a chance it may be damaged, by weather, kids, something falling on it.

What else would you consider doing about it?

No, I don't think you are being unsympathetic at all.

it was definitely not malicious, it was like a "tent", however for whatever reasons they decided to tear the branches off the tree, rip shreds if leaves and growth from it all the new growth and its slow growing. They are well old enough to know though, that you dont go into other peoples gardens.

I had it in the back garden and when the back garden was redone, it was moved to the front. I did not deliberately put a plant worth that much in the front garden, but it has been minded and thrived, so after about 10 years, im very attached to it and it's very very beautiful. If the weather damages it or something fell on it, that's life, but I dont want someone elses kids on my property. Sounds weird, but I'm very attached to it. I was shocked when I saw the prices of them too.

I dont know the parents, but I asked the kids where they live so I've an idea where they live and what house . It's on a nearby road. I took photos of the level of damage and the branches ripped off.

I had to calm down, as if I'd called in yesterday, I'd have said the wrong thing. However, I do want to speak to the parents. Could you send a solicitors letter for example? I'm not interested in doing this, however, I'd like to be able to say, if this happens again, I'll have to seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Just talk to them first before the nuclear option of solicitors letters.
    If you calmly explain what happened and they don't respond well then you can look at other options.

You could send a solicitor's letter - though I know if I went to my solicitor, someone I have known for decades, he would talk me out of it - but its a decision you have to make yourself.

This whole situation depends on local knowledge, whether you know the parents, the ages of the children, how likely they are to come back and how much time and energy you want to invest.

I had a situation where young teens were throwing eggs at my house - mostly at halloween - but its horrible stuff to get off, especially if you don't see it till its dried. Anyway I knew who they were and went the house. The father, a local teacher, came to the door and was very rude to me and refused to engage with me. That's the chance you take.

If you do decide to go to the childrens' home I'd suggest you go with an approach of 'look, kids will be kids, they were not being malicious but they did serious damage to my property, and I would appreciate if you would explain that they should not go playing in gardens where they have not been invited'.

This is where the local knowledge comes in. Whether the children take this to heart, or whether they decide its a challenge; whether the parents are apologetic and willing to try deal with the situation, or give you an earful of abuse you will not know till you try.

Brego888 wrote: »
    Just talk to them first before the nuclear option of solicitors letters.
    If you calmly explain what happened and they don't respond well then you can look at other options.

If you read my post, I've said I've no interest in doing this. However, people dont like legal stuff, so the threat that they may have to engage a solicitor themselves ( ie costs) will be enough for them to say to the kids... keep away from that house, the woman there is a nutter.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

anewme wrote: »
    If you read my post, I've said I've no interest in doing this. However, people dont like legal stuff, so the threat that they may have to engage a solicitor themselves ( ie costs) will be enough for them to say to the kids... keep away from that house, the woman there is a nutter.

Job done.

I did read your post and if you don't want advice then off you go with your letter so.

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    I did read your post and if you don't want advice then off you go with your letter so.

I said I wasnt interested in sending a letter, so thanks for the advice.

looksee wrote: »

This is where the local knowledge comes in. Whether the children take this to heart, or whether they decide its a challenge; whether the parents are apologetic and willing to try deal with the situation, or give you an earful of abuse you will not know till you try.

I don't think they would see it as a challenge in fairness.

I'd always be polite going to someones doorstep, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do the complete softly softly approach as it's not me.

Sorry your home was egged. That's not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Plant nettles.

endacl wrote: »
    Plant nettles.

Made me laugh.

Sorry this seems such a middle class problem with all that's going on in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you read my post, I've said I've no interest in doing this. However, people dont like legal stuff, so the threat that they may have to engage a solicitor themselves ( ie costs)

There won't be any costs for the other party. You'd have to try and claim through the small claims court and even if you go to the Gardai for the vandalism of your tree they won't do anything. My Sister's wall was knocked down by some neighbouring kids one night, all caught on camera with them hiding when cars come past, and after calling the Gardai and talking to the parents they had to rebuild it themselves with nothing done to the the kids.
    will be enough for them to say to the kids... keep away from that house, the woman there is a nutter.

Job done.

That would have worked years ago these days they'll end up tormenting you and destroy everything in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

I think I'd be putting up a small wire cage around the trunk of tree as wide as you can blocking them from sitting there and getting at the trunk, not the most attractive but give it a while and they will forget about it or get older and it just won't interest them anymore and you can remove it again.

You could also try drape a chain across the driveway, it doesn't obviously block them but you have to be a little bit cheekier to pass an obvious boundary than just walk in an open space.

I think I would avoid calling to parents or even doing anything directly as these days with kids I find you are more likely to get an escalation in what they consider fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kids tend not to see the green stuff as something that anyone could possibly value. There is little difference between a blade of grass that gets mowed or trampled on without anyone getting upset, and the ornamental tree that is lovingly tended.

Like the difference between the pet animals we love and the food animals we abuse, the distinction is arbitrary.

It has to be explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think if there has been that amount of damage done (and I would probably want to see a receipt , or evidence of value for that tree), it's up into the realms of property damage that I would mention to parents.

If a child did 1000 euro of damage to a car on someone's driveway, it would be mentioned without a second thought.

Looksee has the right wording above for that conversation.

Do you have an existing relationship with the family?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sounds gross but, could you get some dog sh#t and scatter it around the base of the tree, or a slightly less desperate measure, if you know where there are gorse/furze bushes, gather some of dried out thorns you find on the ground under them, and scatter them around the tree, not comfortable for sitting on

Made me laugh.

Sorry this seems such a middle class problem with all that's going on in the world.

Not at all, I also love my trees and am very protective of them. Trees are living things and often have sentimental value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I would think to replace it would probably cost well over a grand, if not more.

What tree is it? I can't get my head around the price you've estimated for replacing it and frankly find it hard to believe. I would be equally annoyed about this happening myself though.

As for the kids they're unfortunately doing what kids do which is by no means an excuse and you're perfectly entitled to set your boundaries but all the talk of solicitors letters is silly. You're the adult go and talk to their parents and explain that their kids damaged a tree in your garden and would they explain to them not to be going into your garden or anyone elses garden without permission.

It sounds like the kids were playing or building a den under your tree as opposed to maliciously damaging it.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What tree is it? I can't get my head around the price you've estimated for replacing it and frankly find it hard to believe. I would be equally annoyed about this happening myself though.

I priced one for a patio container recently. It was 150 for a twig and 750 for a more mature one - not as mature as mine. They said they dont get the bigger ones that often and when they do, they are snapped up.

Japanese Maple tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I priced one for a patio container recently. It was 150 for a twig and 750 for a more mature one - not as mature as mine. They said they dont get the bigger ones that often and when they do, they are snapped up.

Japanese Maple tree.

You must be pricing them in avoca. :D Slow growing indeed and yours must be very mature at that price tag. Cutting the lower limbs would be quite common on those trees so all may not be lost.

Have you any pictures of the damage?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You must be pricing them in avoca. :D Slow growing indeed and yours must be very mature at that price tag. Cutting the lower limbs would be quite common on those trees so all may not be lost.

Have you any pictures of the damage?

Yes have photos of the damage and will show the parents.

No, not priced in Avoca, that variant just seems to be an expensive and sought after tree for landscaping.

I don't think all is lost with it, it has just has lost a lot of its volume underneath.

It's been with me now for probably 12 years and I did not realise how attached I was to it. Sounds stupid but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Lumen wrote: »
    Kids tend not to see the green stuff as something that anyone could possibly value. There is little difference between a blade of grass that gets mowed or trampled on without anyone getting upset, and the ornamental tree that is lovingly tended.

Like the difference between the pet animals we love and the food animals we abuse, the distinction is arbitrary.

It has to be explained.

This is it exactly. To people even adults who do not love plants it all looks like undifferentiated green stuff. A young lad visiting my place a few years ago found my pruning saw while I was indoors entertaining his parents and fcuk me the job he did on the place in half an hour.

By the way you have my boards name Lumen. That was the one I wanted. Grrrr. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gruffalox wrote: »
    By the way you have my boards name Lumen. That was the one I wanted. Grrrr. :)

Get off my lawn! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Children don't have an appreciation for plants unless taught about them. If you meet these children again, explain in a gentle way, why you are upset and how long it has taken the tree to grow. Do not mention value as it just annoys people.

That is still no excuse for being on your property and doing damage, though I think said damage was not deliberate.

Depending on their age, I would try to leave the parents out of it and accept it as a lesson learnt. Protect the tree from the same type of damage and explain boundaries to the children if they reappear.

wildwillow wrote: »
    Children don't have an appreciation for plants unless taught about them. If you meet these children again, explain in a gentle way, why you are upset and how long it has taken the tree to grow. Do not mention value as it just annoys people.

That is still no excuse for being on your property and doing damage, though I think said damage was not deliberate.

Depending on their age, I would try to leave the parents out of it and accept it as a lesson learnt. Protect the tree from the same type of damage and explain boundaries to the children if they reappear.

I did give out to the children on the day firmly enough and told them I dont want to see them in there again, that they cant go into peoples gardens and damage their plants. I also said I was going to see their Mammy, which they did not look too happy about.

So maybe that is enough to keep them away.

The tree itself is a very rich red colour, so that probably drew them to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Looks like you handled it well. If they haven't reoffended they probably took our words to heart. I'd hold off with Mammy unless they reappear.
    Parents can raise their hackles when their darling is accused of poor behaviour. I know this from my own experience as a teacher and parent. My hackles have been raised on behalf of my child as a reaction to some comment or other but, when I thought about it, the comment was usually justified. Just a natural reaction that you don't want to trigger unless you have something to gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Chicken manure?

Advertisement