Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Eir really as terrible as the reviews are saying?

Options
  • 29-05-2020 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with Vodafone but am out of contract and the price has gone up by 6 euros so am looking to change now as I'm paying 51 a month for broadband and calls and there are cheaper deals out there.
    I noticed Eir are the cheapest at the moment if you go with them for a year and I would save about 200 if I went with them.
    The problem is there are so many terrible reviews of them on the internet and tons of complaints about them so it's putting me off to be honest.
    I have about 48 mbps broadband with Vodafone and am happy with that speed.
    I'm also happy with the Vodafone modem router.
    Do Eir allow you to use a Vodafone modem router or would I have to use an inferior router?
    As I say the infastructure is already there, I have Fibre to the cabiner broadband about 50MB.
    Could Eir screw that up and give me much slower broadband?
    Could they be that useless?
    I'd like opinions because I don't know.
    If the whole process and Eir are a complete disaster and I'd have constantly dropping Wifi and broadband then I'd just forget Eir and look elsewhere.
    If that is the case any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I wouldn't recommend Eir to my worst enemy. I signed up for home broadband a few years ago and it took six months to get decent speeds.I lost track of how many phone calls I made to their useless support. As soon as I had a chance to break the contract I did.
    I'd suggest contacting VF and see if you can get a better deal.
    quinnd6 wrote: »
    I'm currently with Vodafone but am out of contract and the price has gone up by 6 euros so am looking to change now as I'm paying 51 a month for broadband and calls and there are cheaper deals out there.
    I noticed Eir are the cheapest at the moment if you go with them for a year and I would save about 200 if I went with them.
    The problem is there are so many terrible reviews of them on the internet and tons of complaints about them so it's putting me off to be honest.
    Do Eir allow you to use a Vodafone modem router or would I have to use an inferior router?
    As I say the infastructure is already there, I have Fibre to the cabiner broadband about 50MB.
    If the whole process and Eir are a complete disaster and I'd have constantly dropping Wifi and broadband then I'd just forget Eir and look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Will Vodafone not do a deal with you to renew the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I haven't been contacted by them yet and haven't tried them yet.
    With the whole lockdown still going on I reckoned it'd be a nightmare trying to get any company to answer a phone.
    Anyway I'm not long out of contract.
    I knew I had gone out of contract when I saw my last bill.
    So not worth going to Eir even to save 200 in a year.
    Wow they must be really dreadful.
    No if I was getting rubbish speeds that would drive me up the wall. I have a PS4 so need a decent speed.
    Funny thing is Vodafone use eir infrastructure yet as a company they're not able to keep their own infrastructure going. Bit ridiculous isn't it.
    Anyway I think I'll probably give Vodafone a call.
    I might not save as much money but at least I'll have a decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Eir are bad for customer care. but so are most of the big name alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I have Eir fibre to house. No real issues with it. Bit of a faff to get it installed...but that was more KN networks, and I assume all providers would be similar as the infrastructure is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

They're grand when things go right, when something goes wrong you can be left waiting a very long time for a resolution. That could be slow speeds, no broadband at all, billing issues, etc. Their customer service, for the most part, is dreadful.

I'm also with Vodafone, contract up in December. I'll give both them and Virgin a call when due for renewal and go with the best price. I don't think my sanity could cope with EIR service levels, would prefer to go with a 4g modem rather than that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Do you need the calls part of the deal? Vodafone have a broadband only offer.
    Check it out on their website. They have an offer at the moment for 20 a month for 6 months then 35pm after that, but as you're an existing customer you probably wouldn't qualify. Or check out what sky are offering.

Both Virgin and Sky do cancellation deals. Haven't heard of any from Vodafone. Still, worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

KaneToad wrote: »
    I have Eir fibre to house. No real issues with it. Bit of a faff to get it installed...but that was more KN networks, and I assume all providers would be similar as the infrastructure is the same.

This.
    Previously, my eir broadband speeds were patchy. I upgraded to eir fibre and bingo, excellent and consistent speeds. The fibre part ends at the entrance to our estate, and from there it uses the original copper telephone wire.

If I change provider, they will use the same copper. The only one that's different is upc (is that Virgin now?), they use the old piped tv cables , which have been upgraded over the years and could even be fibre now for all I know.* <<<there's an element of supposition in this paragraph, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Customer care isn't great, but last year my copper cable went faulty and they dug up the footpath and ran in a complete new one, I was out of service for about 4 days. But it took me almost a month to get changes made to my contract, sitting on the phone e listening to music for nearly an hour nearly drove me nuts, but the savings made it worthwhile.
    Edit to add: if the modem goes faulty ie really patchy speeds snd dropping wifi, they take some convincing to come out and replace it. That has happened twice and was bloody frustrating,over a week each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

We were with Eir over 10 years ago (so things may have changed), but I wouldn't go back to them. The service disconnected almost daily (at least 2-3 times a week) and trying to get support was like trying to kick your own ar$e (and about as useful).
    When the 12 month contract ended and we switched provider, they sent me threatening letters trying to get the router back (they had provided it) and a charge of €120 for changing! I sent them the router and a cheque for €119 and haven't heard back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I'm with Eir for 2.5 years.

The only problems I had with them so far were getting connected and renewing my contract.

Three times they cancelled doing my connection!
    Then renewing I usually spend around 50mins on hold.

Apart from that I've had no problems. The fibre broadband is excellent. Fast and reliable. The only down time in the 2.5 years so far was that day it was down for all their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Eir are bad for customer care. but so are most of the big name alternatives.

Nobody's ever come close to the levels of incompetence of Eir.
    Except possibly Meteor, but even that was after Eir took them over.

OP, if it was me, I genuinely wouldn't find it worth it even for that saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If everything goes OK, then what eir provides is pretty much the same as anyone else would provide using the same lines. The issue with eir is the customer service is truly horrendous.

Have a look at this thread to see my experiences with them if you have some time on your hands.

In fairness, it's been around 12 months since last contact (they closed down the forum, so I wasn't able to add updates to the thread), so maybe they've massively improved in the last 12 months. But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I know a couple in their 80s with no relatives. One in a wheelchair. Neither can seem to figure out how to use a mobile so never answer mobiles. They need their landline. Their phone has gone off completely last week, so no phone.
    They just get nowhere trying to call eir.
    When my friend calls eir on their behalf they just get the runaround.
    Eir are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Now I will mention it's fibre to the cabinet down here.
    I'm in a rural area so it's not proper fibre like the fibre to the home some of you are possibly talking about.
    There's a big difference.
    My max speed would be 48 meg and there's a lot more potential for screwups with that technology.

Now I will mention it's fibre to the cabinet down here.
    I'm in a rural area so it's not proper fibre like the fibre to the home some of you are possibly talking about.
    There's a big difference.
    My max speed would be 48 meg and there's a lot more potential for screwups with that technology.

The infrastructure is not the issue. Eir, Vodafone and Sky all use the same wires. Its Eir's appalling level of customer service that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

We had Eir for years, no problems with it for general use. .my son is a gamer so he would use up the speed, but other than that we'd no problems.
    Would agree that they're a nightmare to deal with.

Digiweb are fantastic, with them for years now and zero problems. No sneaky deals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I know a couple in their 80s with no relatives. One in a wheelchair. Neither can seem to figure out how to use a mobile so never answer mobiles. They need their landline. Their phone has gone off completely last week, so no phone.
    They just get nowhere trying to call eir.
    When my friend calls eir on their behalf they just get the runaround.
    Eir are shocking.

That sounds like basic data protection to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Here is a list of providers, that can provide service on OpenEIRs infrastructure:
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Why narrow it down to 2 or 3 choices ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

VF FTTC is using EIR infrastructure as far as the exchange. If a problem occurs on that part of your service, then Eir will have to sort it (probably using KN) regardless of who you're with.

From the exchange onward it's down to how each company has configured the back haul. Thats often where the trouble starts and the buck-passing does your head in.

VF will most likely want their modem back if you move. Not to worry, Eir use more or less the same gear. Is there something peculiar /special about your setup that worries you as to its repeatability?

Ask folks locally who are on Eir what their service is like. If it ok, spend the 200 saved on beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I was with Vodafone and said I would give Eir a try to see if they have improved since I left them about 5 years ago. Long story short, No, they are worse than ever. Luckily I was able to cancel the 24 month contract as they never even installed the service. Stay well clear. I am back with Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

They upped their prices significantly lately, if you're a customer and out of contract they won't come down from nearly 70e/month for basic vdsl and home phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Archeron

Eir are awful. I've had no broadband for a week now and they aren't responding to fault logs. This has been an ongoing issue for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've always negotiated between 3 and 6 free months to stay with Vodafone

Just make sure you're armed with the details of a better deal elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    VF FTTC is using OpenEIR infrastructure as far as the exchange. If a problem occurs on that part of your service, then OpenEir will have to sort it (probably using KN) regardless of who you're with.

From the exchange onward it's down to how each company has configured the back haul. Thats often where the trouble starts and the buck-passing does your head in.

VF will most likely want their modem back if you move. Not to worry, Eir use more or less the same gear. Is there something peculiar /special about your setup that worries you as to its repeatability?

I have corrected that for you there. OpenEIR and Eir (retail) are different companies. Both subsidiaries of Eircom PLC who also trade themselves as Eir (parent) at times. (Tradenames don't have to be unique in Ireland)

Due to regulatory restrictions Eir (retail) and OpenEIR are not allowed to talk directly to each other apart from through the same channels as any provider listed in this list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The installers from OpenEIR and KN are not even told on the day, which provider they are installing for. The only way they "may" know, is if they also are instructed to supply the router and which router to supply.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Yes yes yes yes yes

Marlow wrote: »
    I have corrected that for you there. OpenEIR and Eir (retail) are different companies. Both subsidiaries of Eircom PLC who also trade themselves as Eir (parent) at times. (Tradenames don't have to be unique in Ireland)
    Due to regulatory restrictions Eir (retail) and OpenEIR are not allowed to talk directly to each other apart from through the same channels as any provider listed in this list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

The installers from OpenEIR and KN are not even told on the day, which provider they are installing for. The only way they "may" know, is if they also are instructed to supply the router and which router to supply.

/M
    Muppet co run by muppets

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Nobody's ever come close to the levels of incompetence of Eir.
    Except possibly Meteor, but even that was after Eir took them over.

OP, if it was me, I genuinely wouldn't find it worth it even for that saving.

They are infuriating,inept and lie and overcharge , drip calls and don't care, avoid dddddddd

Advertisement