Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-05-2020, 15:06   #61
Ger Roe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoanon View Post
Hi Ger ,

I always thought that there where 2 raiding parties ?, with only Jazz on air on the Wednesday morning from the mountains before being raided ?.

A few stations had managed to remove their TXS before the raiding teams arrived iirc - Nova947/Sun 101 and Phantoms 91.6 ??

I seem to recall Cabra Choice being off air on the Tuesday evening yet getting a knock on the door and their equipment seized ??

Great memories of the anorak shown and 'Petes' radio news - thanks to Ger and Simon there is a factual archive of historic and current for the time of radio events.
From my memory... Jazz was indeed still on air from a house just up from The Blue Light pub. I watched from a safe distance while the raid party went in and switched off the rig before taking it out. They then went to the other TX sites on the road and knocked in - even those that were not broadcasting at the time. They may have removed equipment too, but I can't be sure - some, as you say had already been removed.

I remember that Choice was hit later that day too.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-05-2020, 15:27   #62

Ger, have you ever considered bringing back the anorak hour as a podcast ?
Thanks from:
02-06-2020, 21:08   #63
Antenna

Quote:
There is a picture - probably DXArchive - where you can see Treble TRs wire antenna and in the background Novas massive free standing tower. Novas AM at that stage was a mere 3kw on 846/891 .The RF interference must have been huge (and add in the FM at 5kw erp).
How long were they on 891kHz for ?? with BBC R. Wales on 882 it probably caused issues in areas within north-west Wales so they had to move

Quote:
True story - I recall a parish priest getting very irate at the breakthrough on his churches audio system with his sermons being interrupted by pop music and blaming RTE 2FM. I pointed to the mast a few hundred feet away - the Q102 AM mast......the issue was resolved quickly (by RTE according to the parish priest !)
There may well have had been an issue with another church close to the RTE 2FM Dublin 1278kHz which that priest heard about and (wrongly) assumed was due to the same source? (just speculating)

Last edited by Antenna; 02-06-2020 at 21:13.
03-06-2020, 10:39   #64
Infoanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
How long were they on 891kHz for ?? with BBC R. Wales on 882 it probably caused issues in areas within north-west Wales so they had to move
)
882 operated at 100kw back then so no interference issues in Wales imho.

I don't have dates but I believe 891 was used briefly (possibly influencedby those 'mighty 890' jingle before 846 was chosen as the AM frequency.

The 'mighty 890' jingles where also used when Nova where on 819.

Re the Church - Q operated very clean transmitters but when you are in close proximity of an AM transmitter, loose wiring on an amplification or telephone system will pick up interference (even at 1kw).

As an aside the 1278 installation was known to drift every so often causing widespread interference on that part of the AM band.
03-06-2020, 13:54   #65
Losty Dublin

Quote:
882 operated at 100kw back then so no interference issues in Wales imho..
Mad fact; the main tx for BBC Wales is actually located in Somerset. At one stage it was whacking out 750,000 watts yet it still had three booster in Wales; so Nova would not have had a chance to interfere with it!! Today 882 isa more modest 100,000kw though it still has an extra 10KW booster from Penmon in Anglesey.

Last edited by Losty Dublin; 04-06-2020 at 12:51.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion