Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Straight Pull Rifle + Import from UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Totally different!!! Shotguns are restricted here on barrel length ,mag capacity and whether they have an awkward stock on them or not. There are better defined parameters than "looks like"
    Regardless of how parameters are defined, it proves how a restricted/non-Ireland status is set for life. If it’s incorrectly applied if can be fixed, in either direction.
    95% of cases for handguns and semi auto rifles were won on this in various different DC cases around Ireland.
    IOW the judges agreed on these legal points and did not accept this plaver of looks like as written in the law. FACT!! QED!! NEXT!!!
    I’m not sure what handgun cases you are referring too. So I don’t know what sort of crossover there is. Technical firearm evidence does require technical expertise. We’re not talking about technical spec though, we should be, but we not not.

And just because somebody successfully argued a position in court, doesn’t mean that the law is fine. They should never have been there in the first place.
    Also,we have ZERO,Nada, nichts, non definition of what a assault rifle is under the Irish law.So if you cant define an object in law how do you legislate for it??.
    The SI defines what an assault rifle is. Under Irish law, that’s the definition.

As you said form does not dictate function. Yet the legal definition allows form to be used. It’s not a well written definition.

That’s the entire point here. The definition in the SI for assault rifles includes a subjective “resembles”. That is a bad definition. The second line shouldn’t be there. Just because people have argued past it in court does not make it ok. They shouldn't have to go to court in the first place.

tudderone wrote: »
    Yes, but a pistol in .22lr is unrestricted :rolleyes:. So a .22lr pistol 5 or 6 inches long is unrestricted, but a 24 inch long bullpup is restricted. Irish logic at its finest folks.
    Yeah, that’s a good example of the pointlessness of the bullpup clause.
    Centrefire semi’s are restricted anyway. So the bullpup rule really only targets rimfire rifles or with a few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Mellor wrote: »
    Regardless of how parameters are defined, it proves how a restricted/non-Ireland status is set for life. If it’s incorrectly applied if can be fixed, in either direction.

Exactly,if it was done without malice...So the problem is???
    I’m not sure what handgun cases you are referring too. So I don’t know what sort of crossover there is. Technical firearm evidence does require technical expertise. We’re not talking about technical spec though, we should be, but we not not.

90% of all owned CF handgun certs granted post 2008 were more than likely involved with legal proceedings,the threat thereof or granted by DC judgement.. Of the 190 +/- centere fire MSRs in the ROI we had the same problem as the handguns with liscensing from 2008 to about 2012. there's the crossover.Yes technical expertise is required and this was also a pertinent point The states witnesses of AGS ballistics were NOT technically qualified to offer such an expert opinion either ,on the guns or the law!!! Were we talking blood patterns,forensic evidence and such.Absolutely,and they are excellent in that field too. But technical knowledge on firearms,and using "Janes infantry weapons" as a reference in court...NO!!! A judge in Kerry pulled the then chief witness for the state for his constant referal to this book,and told him any further knowledge was to come from his head!... IOW the state didnt even have qualified personel to argue their own legislation.And still doesn't.
    And just because somebody successfully argued a position in court, doesn’t mean that the law is fine. They should never have been there in the first place.

NEVER said the law was fine.It's an unmitigated disaster written by people wholly ignorant of firearms.But its also advantageous in another way,as it can have a "coach and four" driven thru it on its technical aspects. The devil you know an all that...

T
    he SI defines what an assault rifle is. Under Irish law, that’s the definition.

No it does not!! Show me please in the act where it describes what an "assault rifle " is. Exactly as to its barrel length,features,firing mechanism,magazine capacity caliber ,etc? That is called a "definition" in law. IE the object being legislated id "DEFINED" as to what it actually is.

As you said form does not dictate function. Yet the legal definition allows form to be used. It’s not a well written definition.
    It is an absolutely bad defintion,that is why the judicary chose to disregard it,as there is no description as to what an assault rifle actually is!
    That’s the entire point here. The definition in the SI for assault rifles includes a subjective “resembles”. That is a bad definition. The second line shouldn’t be there.

As above
    Just because people have argued past it in court does not make it ok
    ???:confused::confused:
    They should have to go to court in the first place.
    ???:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I believe the threat was if anyone went to court to challenge the "Temporary" custody order, which was supposed to last 2 weeks for ballistic testing, then there would be a move to enshrine the ban in law.

More like 30 days,so the NI situation would be over and calmed down in their thinking:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Exactly,if it was done without malice...So the problem is???
    None of the examples are talking about malicious acts. If the super just beign a prick, that a different matter.
    Either a fire arm is restricted or its not. Period.
    the "but the last super said" stuff is not legally relevant.

90% of all owned CF handgun certs granted post 2008 were more than likely involved with legal proceedings,the threat thereof or granted by DC judgement.. Of the 190 +/- centere fire MSRs in the ROI we had the same problem as the handguns with liscensing from 2008 to about 2012. there's the crossover.Yes technical expertise is required and this was also a pertinent point
    So they were debating technically aspects, or at least attempting to.
    So not really relevant to a clause that deals in appearance is it? Or am missing something? Isn't the MSR is a bolt action, competition rifle.
    NEVER said the law was fine.It's an unmitigated disaster written by people wholly ignorant of firearms.
    So what exactly are you arguing with here?

No it does not!! Show me please in the act where it describes what an "assault rifle " is. Exactly as to its barrel length,features,firing mechanism,magazine capacity caliber ,etc? That is called a "definition" in law. IE the object being legislated id "DEFINED" as to what it actually is.
    Wait, so are claiming that the Restricted Firearms Order 2008 doesn't define an assault rifle, and many other terms, for the purposes of that order? That is incorrect. It does, as you are fully aware of that.

It is an absolutely bad defintion,that is why the judicary chose to disregard it,as there is no description as to what an assault rifle actually is!
    So you are agree it's a bad definition, but you literally just said there is no definition. :confused:
    ???:confused::confused:

???:confused:
    I'm saying the fact then can successful argue it in court does not make it ok. And it doesn't change the fact that the definition in the order includes a sloppy statement based on appearance. Pretending it doesn't is head in the sand stuff.

• Advertisement

None of the examples are talking about malicious acts. If the super just beign a prick, that a different matter.

Mis defining a unrestricted firearm by a Super as restricted,despite it being unrestricted for X number of years isnt malicious That certainly fits the prick aspect of somthing like this.Not to mind the"fking idiot" definition too.

Either a fire arm is restricted or its not. Period.
    the "but the last super said" stuff is not legally relevant.

FACEPALM
    Its actually VERY revelant! because you have someone now deciding you have comitted a criminal act,and are basing this on their own bias,and proable serious lack of technical knowledge,while also admitting that their predecessor and superior officer ws incompetent and doing this in a court of law...Not legally revellant..???FFS!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So they were debating technically aspects, or at least attempting to.
    So not really relevant to a clause that deals in appearance is it? Or am missing something
    ?

Whatever debating they were doing is irrelevant.They won their cases in 95% of both handguns and MSRs,and will continue to do so.

Now if you want to go and argue with the gents with the robes and wigs that they were collectively wrong because they wouldnt accept precedntal HC law and a non definition of an object badly described in law...Go ahead!!! I'll await as will those justices your legal arguement.

Isn't the MSR is a bolt action, competition rifle.
    Nope.It is a term used to describe semi auto rifles correctly,rather than the wholly incorrect term of "assault rifle"

So what exactly are you arguing with here?

Wait, so are claiming that the Restricted Firearms Order 2008 doesn't define an assault rifle, and many other terms, for the purposes of that order? That is incorrect. It does, as you are fully aware of that.

Really.I challenge you to show us all the act,paragraph and sentences that gives us a description on what an asault rifle is in the criminal justice Amendment act 2006/2008 amendment. Or ANY of the Irish firearms acts.That describes it under any definition Be it features,mag capacity,mechanisms,length etc....: Because a whole bunch of judges,solicitor,barristers,civvie gunowners,Gaurds are in mighty big trouble,if you found that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So you are agree it's a bad definition, but you literally just said there is no definition. :confused:

Read what I wrote again.. i said there is no definition or description in law as to what an assault rifle is under Irish law... Why is this so hard to understand??

I'm saying the fact then can successful argue it in court does not make it ok. And it doesn't change the fact that the definition in the order includes a sloppy statement based on appearance. Pretending it doesn't is head in the sand stuff

And my point is and it has been proven in over 150 cases for both handguns and MSR'si the court recognises that this is there in the law,burt will REFUSE to act on it because it is badly drafted,bad law!

They wont work on it bcause it
    1] Does not define or describe in any shape or form what an assault rifle is in the act. Therefore you are trying to legislate on an undefined object.
    2]There is precedent law in Ireland to back up this position
    3] Form does not follow function,dismising the "looks like" clause
    4] The states own technical witnesses are not qualified to offer an expert opinion on what an "assault rifle" is and how it is the same as a modern sporting rifle.
    5] The internationally accepted definition of an assault rifle,made it a prohibited weapon under both EU and Irish law,so it was impossible to liscense legally anyway.So again the state failed in its case by lack of clarity of descriptions in the law.
    6] Spuriousness of the states cases on "extradorinarly dangerous weapons in the hands of civillians"

Now that is what happened in the majority of these cases,and the judges gave the same verdicts and decisions on these core points.So they were all wrong in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You are getting that liscense on the explict understanding that it CAN be revoked at any time under the legislation as it now stands by Fitzgeralds statement and decision.

You have conflated two separate things in that sentence - a statement by a former minister/TD & legislation.
    TDs & ministers make statements all the time & rarely do anything where as legislation is what must be enforced by the Gardai.

Currently, there is no impediment to anyone licensing a restricted semi-auto if they meet the criteria & something a failed/discredited TD said half a decade ago shouldn't have any bearing on that.

FACEPALM
    Its actually VERY revelant! because you have someone now deciding you have comitted a criminal act,and are basing this on their own bias,and proable serious lack of technical knowledge,while also admitting that their predecessor and superior officer ws incompetent and doing this in a court of law...Not legally revellant..???FFS!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Yes it’s not relevant. It it’s either restricted it not.
    Nothing to do with a court of law. How is that hard to understand.

If a firearm is unrestricted for me. If should be unrestricted for you. History, past licenses, past supers. Is not a factor.
    Really.I challenge you to show us all the act,paragraph and sentences that gives us a description on what an asault rifle is in the criminal justice Amendment act 2006/2008 amendment. Or ANY of the Irish firearms acts.That describes it under any definition Be it features,mag capacity,mechanisms,length etc....: Because a whole bunch of judges,solicitor,barristers,civvie gunowners,Gaurds are in mighty big trouble,if you found that.:rolleyes::
    I already pointed to the relevant location.
    Bait and switching in “act” is childishness.
    Read what I wrote again.. i said there is no definition or description in law as to what an assault rifle is under Irish law... Why is this so hard to understand??
    This is incorrect. You know exactly what it says.
    All the rambling misdirection won’t change that.
    I have no idea why you behaving like this.

You literally agreed it was a bad definition.
    Now your saying it doesn’t exist. Which is it?
    3] Form does not follow function,dismising the "looks like" clause
    But I thought that clause doesn’t exist :rolleyes:
    Now that is what happened in the majority of these cases,and the judges gave the same verdicts and decisions on these core points.So they were all wrong in your opinion?
    Where did saying anything to suggest they were wrong?????
    The judge ruling that those were not assault rifles means THOSE were not assault rifles. It doesn’t mean that assault rifles don’t exist or that no firearms are assault rifles under Irish law.

The fact the judges agrees that the definition is poor, and super not equipped to decide on it, does not mean it does exist. Which is the issue.
    It would be great if the order was updated on the back of the decisions. But I won’t hold my breath.

Kramer wrote: »
    Currently, there is no impediment to anyone licensing a restricted semi-auto if they meet the criteria & something a failed/discredited TD said half a decade ago shouldn't have any bearing on that.
    Correct.
    Unfortunately a lot of people confuse restricted with banned. The classification is deliberately misleading, as certain technically restricted firearms are essentially prohibited (grenades, middles, :rolleyes:)

Would be a lot better if they split the prohibited items into a third class. And left restricted for items that can be licensed, albeit with tighter criteria.

[
    QUOTE=Kramer;113536270]You have conflated two separate things in that sentence - a statement by a former minister/TD & legislation.
    TDs & ministers make statements all the time & rarely do anything where as legislation is what must be enforced by the Garda
    i.

Yes,and how many times have "statements magically transformed into "law" here in some peoples mind in authorithy??Do you not think that that this could go the way of CF handguns too in 2006/08?
    From the DOJ site again.

Immediate cap on licensing of any new centre-fire semi-automatic rifles

The Minister intends to introduce an immediate temporary cap on the licensing of any new centre-fire semi-automatic rifles pending the establishment and determination of the Authority.
    Legislation will provide for the revocation of any licenses issued between today

(18 September 2015) and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for licenses of this nature will be informed of that fact

Yes the legislation is not on the statue books ...YET. But IF in some point in the future someone in the dept or god forbid we get another prick like Dermot Aherne into that office,this is already "in the ministers desk draw" ready to go.

THAT is all I'm trying to point out here, that there is a potential risk of revocation and loss minus compensation of your rifle in the future with this,and we dont know what the trigger point[proably in numbers issued] is that could push this to come onto the statue books.

But it does,because this is IRELAND,and people in uniform chose to use such things to impede people applying for liscenses! And if you want to spend money sorting it out in the DC... Fine for the Cheif,as now a judge has taken the responsibility off his shoulders and become persona designata in this case.

• Advertisement

Yes it’s not relevant. It it’s either restricted it not.
    Nothing to do with a court of law. How is that hard to understand.

SNIPPAGE of much rehash strawmen and irrevelanvy

I'M'DONE HERE This is just now rehashing strawmen and more pendantic point scoring . The simple fact is this. You cant argue that 95% of these cases were successful and they failed on all those six points.
    Contary to your assertions,and refusal to accept this there is no thechnical description or definition in law of an assault rifle or bullpup which makes things utterly impossible to legislate,and I challenged you to point this out in the act,and you are now avoiding it.Because you well know it does not exist!

Fact is folks,dont be fobbed by this "looks like an assault rifle" nonsense if your Super or Cheif comes up with it.It has fallen enough times in the DCs of this land,and is an unprovebale point in law.
    About 140 ballpark cases successfully won on semi auto rifles between 2008 and 2012 should be proof enough to anyone.
    Best
    Grizzly45

This is just now rehashing strawmen and more pendantic point scoring You cant argue that 95% of these cases were successful and they failed on all those six points.
    Griz, nobody suggested otherwise. As usual, you are arguing a point that doesn't exist. You confirm this by the fact you are rehashing a strawman, that's not helpful.

The fact they were successful doesn't mean they weren't restricted firearms.
    Griz, you should know this!
    Contary to your assertions,and refusal to accept this there is no thechnical description or definition in law of an assault rifle or bullpup which makes things utterly impossible to legislate,and I challenged you to point this out in the act,and you are now avoiding it.Because you well know it does not exist!

Conveniently slipping in the word thechnical [sic] there. :rolleyes:
    That's not what was said above. Nobody suggest that the definition was technical. That's the entire point, its not a technical definition. It's a bad definition. You agreed it's a bad definition. But then claimed it doesn't exist. Which is it?

Here's the link,and the definition, for the purposes of the order.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/si/21/made/en/print
    3. (1) In this Order—

“assault rifles” means—

(a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic firearms,

(b) firearms that resemble such rifles;

“bullpup rifles” means rifles with a magazine located behind the trigger;
    The technically accuracy of the definition is another matter. The fact is, for the purposes of the order, that's what it is.
    This form of definition is permitted under the Firearms Act ((i) category; (ii) calibre; (iii) working mechanism; (iv) muzzle energy; (v) description; )

Due to the structure of the order, both definitions are redundant in almost all cases.
    Fact is folks,dont be fobbed by this "looks like an assault rifle" nonsense if your Super or Cheif comes up with it.It has fallen enough times in the DCs of this land,and is an unprovebale point in law.
    About 140 ballpark cases successfully won on semi auto rifles between 2008 and 2012 should be proof enough to anyone.
    Best
    Grizzly45
    Of course they shouldn't be fobbed off. How many of those 140 semi autos were centrefire? Probably all of them. So proves nothing tbh.
    You are misunderstanding or misrepresenting. I don't know which.

Griz, we're on the same side. You know I respect you opinion on the matter. But obscuration tactics is not helpful in this forum, by all means use every avenue in court - but people need to understand the law if they are going down that route.
    Restricted firearms are licensable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Can see why DOJ didnt take points onboard when you look at the type of posts like the current one on their FB page....is that page actually controlled by an Irish Sports Shooter ? Or is it like another Country Side Alliance cover for a non national group / organisation.

Far too much associating with American firearms politics on that group and not enough talking about the Irish landscape with regards to firearms ownership, competitions etc.

Sh1t like '2a applies to everyone... It keeps everyone nice&polite.' Has no place on a page linked to Irish firearms owners. Get to fook with that.

I know there's a poster on this thread linked to that group but they'd want to have a long hard look at that group and think about the image they're presenting. The optics of that page are way off. Some of the tripe being posted is making me cringe and I'm a firearm owner, it would look horrific to a neutral person who came across it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Can see why DOJ didnt take points onboard when you look at the type of posts like the current one on their FB page

Well from what I've seen the DoJ seem to take sod all points by anyone pro shooting, regardless of affiliation.
    Open to correction on that one though.

Honestly I don't see the problem, firearms laws have been increasingly more restrictive here and I don't see any organisation's approach lessening that, and FUN Europe wide do seem to make more of a stink for target shooters than the NARGC ever has, in particular calling out the EU on their lead ban shenanigans.

Hell, the last time I asked NARGC where their "robust response", their wording, to the ammo carriage & mag restriction SI was, I was sharply snubbed off with "this isn't the time for that discussion".

Utter bull***t IMO.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    Well from what I've seen the DoJ seem to take sod all points by anyone pro shooting, regardless of affiliation.
    Open to correction on that one though.

Honestly I don't see the problem, firearms laws have been increasingly more restrictive here and I don't see any organisation's approach lessening that, and FUN Europe wide do seem to make more of a stink for target shooters than the NARGC ever has, in particular calling out the EU on their lead ban shenanigans.

Hell, the last time I asked NARGC where their "robust response", their wording, to the ammo carriage & mag restriction SI was, I was sharply snubbed off with "this isn't the time for that discussion".

Utter bull***t IMO.

There's kicking up a stink with regard ti relevant issues and then there's muddying the waters by associating the group with 2nd Amendment politics on a different continent.

Is '2a applies to everyone... It keeps everyone nice&polite.' an acceptable post for you on an Irish firearms group that anyone can view?

The last time there was a blow up Finian McGrath presented a photo of a road sign that had been in the UK to the Justice Committee and did enormous damage to our credibility...and it wasn't even anything to do with Irish firearms owners. Wait until the next time and he or someone else gets a whiff of that FB group...christ they'll crucify us. 2A politics like that quote above and sharing photos of the Virginia militia at one of their 'freedom' rallys.

Fcuk me I can see it now;

'So Irish firearms groups support intimidating members of the public with firearms? (Present quote above printed out'

'Are we to expect militias being formed here next?' (Present militia post printed out)

Etc. Etc.

As I said there's agitating for positive change with regards to firearms legislation by reference to relevant issues in Ireland and the EU as a whole. Presenting the positive side of shooting sports, charity events held at ranges etc. is what should be put to the fore. The 2A posting and any reference to the US firearm landscape in any form should be avoided, it's in no way relevant to the community here and provides ample mud to be slung at us when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Witcher wrote: »
    Far too much associating with American firearms politics on that group and not enough talking about the Irish landscape with regards to firearms ownership, competitions etc.

Sh1t like '2a applies to everyone... It keeps everyone nice&polite.' Has no place on a page linked to Irish firearms owners. Get to fook with that.

I know there's a poster on this thread linked to that group but they'd want to have a long hard look at that group and think about the image they're presenting. The optics of that page are way off. Some of the tripe being posted is making me cringe and I'm a firearm owner, it would look horrific to a neutral person who came across it.

The 2a stuff may not seem relevent at first glance. But if you look at the legislation in New zealand, Australia, Canada, attempted in the democrat controlled cities/states in America, and Europe, it all looks alike. 10 round mag capacity cap, bans on semi-auto rifles, restrictions on pistols, its like all the one law, the reason for that is the United nations are the ones pushing it. Also we have billionares like Mike bloomberg, George Soros, Rupert Murdoch, Bill Gates all meddling in gun laws all over the world.

The 2a stuff may not seem relevent at first glance. But if you look at the legislation in New zealand, Australia, Canada, attempted in the democrat controlled cities/states in America, and Europe, it all looks alike. 10 round mag capacity cap, bans on semi-auto rifles, restrictions on pistols, its like all the one law, the reason for that is the United nations are the ones pushing it. Also we have billionares like Mike bloomberg, George Soros, Rupert Murdoch, Bill Gates all meddling in gun laws all over the world.

It's not relevant full stop, there's no but. It's muddying the waters and drawing us too close to a country which has laws so far removed from ours they might aswell be on another planet.

We should be at pains to inform people the laws in the US are not a goal for us nor will they ever be. Quotes like the one I posted unfortunately suggest otherwise and will do little to help us if they're ever unearthed by the media.

I'm not going to labour the point, the operator of the page has obviously decided upon the direction the group is taking, the fact it is at odds with the Irish firearms landscape is unfortunate when the group could be doing so much more than posting freedom rallys and 2A sh1te.

I dunno, certainly the second amendment concept has no place in current Irish law or firearms culture, for better or worse, but even the Canadians with their NFA in the wake of the current Trudeau gun ban, and the New Zealanders have been getting pretty pissed since their latest firearms restrictions have passed.

Countries which have previously been relatively similar to Ireland in their gently-softly approach to pro firearms reform have amped up the rhetoric in face of new gun control measures, even the US with the transition from the NRA to SAF and GOA.
    I think it's a natural reaction when you are being victimised to lash out, and if there is a single law abiding group that seems to get the most flak for pursuing lawful activities, it's gun owners.
    Here and elsewhere.

I'm not sure where the line of reasonable responses ends and too far begins, but I do think the more firearms advocacy groups the better.

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

It's not relevant full stop, there's no but. It's muddying the waters and drawing us too close to a country which has laws so far removed from ours they might aswell be on another planet.

We should be at pains to inform people the laws in the US are not a goal for us nor will they ever be. Quotes like the one I posted unfortunately suggest otherwise and will do little to help us if they're ever unearthed by the media.

I'm not going to labour the point, the operator of the page has obviously decided upon the direction the group is taking, the fact it is at odds with the Irish firearms landscape is unfortunate when the group could be doing so much more than posting freedom rallys and 2A sh1te.

The realities of our firearms laws are lost on the irish public and have been for decades, thanks to the print media, RTE, and the lunatics in the north shooting people everyday until 20 years ago and latterly the psycho scum who deal drugs doing the same. They have never given us a break and never will. We are either Tweedy toffs blasting birds out of the air with our 100k side by sides and feasting on their bloody carcases in our brand new range rovers, or we are Rambo wannabe's gagging to shoot up a school.

I have brought people i worked with to the range, informed them of the shooting sports, shotgun, usually clays, pistol and target rifle shooting. I explain how difficult it is to get into the sport due to restrictive laws, that its not just a matter of walking into a gunshop and walking out 2 mins later with a firearm in your bag. They still come out with rubbish about guns should be banned when there is a gangland hit. Its all very simple to some.

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    I dunno, certainly the second amendment concept has no place in current Irish law or firearms culture, for better or worse, but even the Canadians with their NFA in the wake of the current Trudeau gun ban, and the New Zealanders have been getting pretty pissed since their latest firearms restrictions have passed.

Countries which have previously been relatively similar to Ireland in their gently-softly approach to pro firearms reform have amped up the rhetoric in face of new gun control measures, even the US with the transition from the NRA to SAF and GOA.
    I think it's a natural reaction when you are being victimised to lash out, and if there is a single law abiding group that seems to get the most flak for pursuing lawful activities, it's gun owners.
    Here and elsewhere.

I'm not sure where the line of reasonable responses ends and too far begins, but I do think the more firearms advocacy groups the better.

You have to fight for your own corner, no one else will. Look at what happened in the UK in 96.

• Advertisement

Can see why DOJ didnt take points onboard when you look at the type of posts like the current one on their FB page....is that page actually controlled by an Irish Sports Shooter ? Or is it like another Country Side Alliance cover for a non national group / organisation.

Ah good...The controversial approach is working then!! Be worried if no one was talking about it.:D

Got some bad news for you too.if you think this is bad.You aint seen nothing yet! There is a NI group starting up called Owners Rights Cooperative [ORC] that is going to rock your and the shooting scene in the British isles.:D:D

People are getting fed up of the Fudds and surrender monkeys running the UK orgs,so aptly displayed by the lead ban in the UK,the zero fight put up for MARS rifles,and the compromises and throwing to the wolves of every sport the Yardleys and knickerbocker and tweeds didnt like, since Hungerford.

Also dont be afraid to use my handle here when you are replying Liffy or others.Say what you have to say to me and stop sneaking around alluding to me.Say it out straight,I'd respect you more...:)

NO FUNI or FUN has NOTHING to do with Countryside Alliance,NARGC,NASRPC or whomever.We are European orientated, and a EU associationso that means we post and keep European shooters and gunowners informed on gun rights battles globally,that means stuff that is outside Ireland too, but still revelant so if it offends your delicate sensebilities...Too bad.:)

Also we are a registerd lobby group in Brussels and in the EU parliment.A fact DOJ is now well aware of as are NARGC/FACE and any of the other EU lobby groups. Thing is,we dont have any big offices there,or take salaries,or wages.It's all our own time and pocket.Simple so we can say we are not behoven to anyone in the firearms or political industries.

Now as for the DOJ and that meeting,s[eeing you werent at it]... This was to clarify some points in the SI of last year about the high capacity mag ban,and former select fire genuine assault rifles that had been permantly converted to semi auto,but are now illegal CAT A firearms under the EU directive.As well as fully auto and select blank firing re enactment "weapons" owned by period re enactors. Iposted this and the outcome here on boards around the 1st week in Dec last,if you want to peruse it further.

A civilised and frank meet,that was done within an hour or so and hopefully transferred into sorting out some peoples concerns. no one had any intent in changing legislation as it was a done deal by then.We wanted clarification on how it was supposed to work and what options there were!

Nothing else.Not to table thump or yelling ,demands on our part or play one upmanship or dick measureing unlike SOME "Respectable and professional" Irish shooting organisations did in the past up there!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Times they are a changin as Bob Dylan sang,and it is going to get to the point that people will have to relise this is now a global fight of you being either pro or anti gun ownership,and if you are pro, the sooner you realise if you own a gun,you had better start getting political if you want to keep it and start fighting like the 3rd monkey on the Arks gangplank.As brother it's starting to rain!

Done by FUNI sofar in the Irish context

Kept the Irish readers informed for five years on the progress of the EU firearms directive from almost the moment after the Paris massacres here on boards.

Likewise also on the lead ban,even before national Irish shooting organisations

Met DOJ reps regarding concerns of the high capacity mag and converted asssault rifles and blank firing in Dec 2020

Attended FUN Berlin conference Nov 2019,to give the Irish gun owners perspective of living under THE strictest gun laws in the EU,with corrospondingly the highest guncrime rate in the EU.While paradoxically living next door to six counties of the UK,that have significantly LESS stringent gun laws than both the UK mainland and the ROI,and allow concealed carry permits but had a virtual open civil war for 35 years.Conference attended by both German shooting press,and media.

Organised a petition on change,org with over 4000 signitures in as many days on the derogation ban for wood pigeon shooting ,complimented and thanked by a few RGCs and Irish hunters for this "great idea".

So not to shabby a start for an organisation that publishes "freedom rallies and 2a ****e" and is run on less than a 2nd hand shoestring here.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really dont give a sh1t what the laws in Canada or the USA are, more interested in what the Irish laws are .." we drive on the wrong side of the road overhere...dont we...?

Switzerland are a sovereign country with gun laws that even the Americans wish for. The swiss didn't give a sh1t about anyone elses gun laws either, until the eu, which they are not a member of pressured them, successfully to change their laws, removing swathes of what they can possess and use.

We have a communist dictator, Xi Jinping of China, making announcements that American gun laws are a problem and need to be changed. Do you think if Jinpeng wanted to open a large business here and the price was that civilian gun ownership was banned, we'd have guns next week ?

P.s, I can see being made drive on the right when the brits leave the eu completely, there will be a push for that sooner or later under "Harmonisation" laws.

Yep its a FB rant page, touch of the "Narcisstic" attitude there alright.
    Only one person post on it, usually non relivant to Irish sporting shooters.
    I really dont give a sh1t what the laws in Canada or the USA are, more interested in what the Irish laws are .." we drive on the wrong side of the road overhere...dont we...?
    BTW setting up a FB page or tailending the name " Ireland" does not mean it represents the rights or views or gives the authority to lobby approach the DOJ or any other government body...
    FUNI would be FUNNY if it wasnt so serious that one persons over oppinionated view could be missled as a voice or lobby group with any authority to speak on anyones behalf...
    Put the kettle on now...doubt the keyboard warrior will resist penning a novel now, telling us all how wrong we are to disagree with the posted views, or to have an alternative opinion...he may prob have to clean the mirror infront of the keypad while cooling down, and composing the reply...which now doubt is comming...bet he cant resist a reply...just wont come naturally not to have something to say, :):)

Meeet the offical FUDD of boards.ie.:D:D

Yep its a FB rant page, touch of the "Narcisstic" attitude there alright.

Classy, totally ignoring everything they have done and only learning the page existed the other day. :P

Perfect showcasing of the Irish head-in-the-sand/sure-it'll-be-grand attitude, nice one!
    If you cannot look at the history of firearms laws in other countries, compare them to ours and see where we are headed then I'm not sure what to say to you.
    Sure, it'll be grand? :P
    BTW setting up a FB page or tailending the name " Ireland" does not mean it represents the rights or views or gives the authority to lobby approach the DOJ or any other government body...
    FUNI would be FUNNY if it wasnt so serious that one persons over oppinionated view could be missled as a voice or lobby group with any authority to speak on anyones behalf...

Totally, a name is just that, but given they are actually representing Irish shooters and there are Irish shooters that support them then I think that gives FUNI the chops to rep us. Maybe not all Liffy, but certainly some.
    Especially when other orgs who have the chops already do not.
    But if you want to play the losing side of the State's divide and conquer game some more please do, it's your choice entirely.
    Put the kettle on now...doubt the keyboard warrior will resist penning a novel now, telling us all how wrong we are to disagree with the posted views, or to have an alternative opinion...he may prob have to clean the mirror infront of the keypad while cooling down, and composing the reply...which now doubt is comming...bet he cant resist a reply...just wont come naturally not to have something to say, :):)

Personally I enjoyed Griz's "novel", detailing what FUNI is about, why it is there and what they have done, but whatever.

You stay classy now Liffy lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

And this is exactly the problem we have here in Ireland,
    Groups who represent Clay shooting and dont care for anyone else,
    Groups who represent Game shooting and dont care about anyone else,
    Groups who represent Deer shooting and dont care about anyone else,
    Groups who represent Target shooting and dont care about anyone else,
    Groups for every fecking thing only interested in their own patch.
    IF there was one cohesive effort here by all vested interests in the sport, and leave the egos and self preservation at the door, Irish shooting would be in a much healthier position.
    We then would not need European based groups here to fight our corner and it would also close the door here to the SCOVI's who are trying to and achieving in throwing other aspects of the sport under the bus for their own financial gain.
    Something needs to change here and fast or ALL aspects of FIELD SPORTS in this country are gone, then where are we.
    This bickering and fighting of "well that group does not represent me" crap needs to stop. Everyone get together hash it out and come together with one voice and a coherent plan for progressing our sports, rather than the look at what they are trying to chip away at now reactionary voice we currently have.
    A group is only relevant if its makes itself so.
    But then again this is Ireland I would not hold out much hope in at least one person stabbing someone else in back.
    Rant over.

Couldn't agree more Solar, I don't hunt but I support hunters.

Personally I couldn't give a toss what makes other shooters happy, but I support them because they are shooters too, regardless of whether they shoot at paper, steel, vermin, game, deer, etc or are just collectors who just like firearms for what they are, the historical aspects, etc.

There can never be enough of us, and over the years I've brought a lot of people shooting and spoken to dozens more about shooting sports, so at the very least they aren't uninformed about firearms here, and best case they may take up the hobby.
    Some already have and I'm hoping when everything blows over another may join us! :D

All arms of shooting sports need to stick together, or we'll be back to double barrels and single shot .22s again.
    At best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Alright folks, we're wandering into insult territory so i'll ask that we stop it right there.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as we always say attack the post, not the poster.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

And Y'know it's hideously simple to achive?
    All these collective groups need to do is simply agree on a few things.
    [1] A non aggression pact against each other,and
    [2] A common defence policy against any attack of shooting buy any outside entity.
    [3] Support a strong pro gun lobby in Brussels,as alot of future problems will come from there,and national govts keep losing or handing up power to Brussels.
    4] Become "No compromise" on any further infringements on gun ownership,both here and EU wide. That was the stance taken with the EU gun ban,and it did work,as we did manage to avert the worst of the proposed ban.It was a stalemate or a phrrric victory for gun owners EU wide.
    Maybe in a parallel universe European and Irish gunowners will or have done this already. Not in this one unfortuneatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

The best way we can keep our sports is to take the thousand mile perspective;

most people who don't shoot see US mass shootings and drug feuds on TV etc. most days - they never met a licensed shooter and there is an understandable conflation going on.

When we get on the MSM we usually get a hatchet job done on us - the solution is to be consistently reasonable and personable as much as possible in all communications and stick together like glue.

Believe it or not, we have largely been doing this the last 5/6 years or so.

This is how we win - public perception.

Advertisement