Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Being doing some reading up on these mesh system. Is the normal practice to dis-engage the wifi+DHCP server on the router?

I have this setup on the router to allow kids wifi access to a virtual wifi-spot at the flick of an app on parents phones and inturn allows me to control the DNS servers used to provide some form of content-filtering etc.

If the above is done I need to see how this can be replicated on the mesh system. Alternatively are extenders an alternative using the existing SSIDs/credentials if I want to keep the router setup. Assuming this would make roaming not as efficient, nor the same sort of throughput of the mesh system?

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

They way it is set up at moment is I have an eir router and from that router , I have a ethernet cable going to a desktop PC and then I have another ethernet cable going to an eir vision box. The eir TV vision box doesnt have wifi or wireless so I need to have a ethernet connection going into it in order for it to work.

I want to take the cable from the eir vision box and put it into a router or device in order to give wifi to that room and also take an ethernet cable from that new router and device and put it into the eir vision box .

What device or router could do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Being doing some reading up on these mesh system. Is the normal practice to dis-engage the wifi+DHCP server on the router?

I have this setup on the router to allow kids wifi access to a virtual wifi-spot at the flick of an app on parents phones and inturn allows me to control the DNS servers used to provide some form of content-filtering etc.

If the above is done I need to see how this can be replicated on the mesh system. Alternatively are extenders an alternative using the existing SSIDs/credentials if I want to keep the router setup. Assuming this would make roaming not as efficient, nor the same sort of throughput of the mesh system?

Thanks
    W.

You turn off the wifi on the router

You might look at the Linksys which has Linksys Shield which allows you to putting settings at the device level.

Most come with option to set up a guest network, so you could use that for kids either

kala85 wrote: »
    They way it is set up at moment is I have an eir router and from that router , I have a ethernet cable going to a desktop PC and then I have another ethernet cable going to an eir vision box. The eir TV vision box doesnt have wifi or wireless so I need to have a ethernet connection going into it in order for it to work.

I want to take the cable from the eir vision box and put it into a router or device in order to give wifi to that room and also take an ethernet cable from that new router and device and put it into the eir vision box .

My setup, I have changed

I had the internet router with 4 ethernet ports. Turned off wifi on it. Ethernet cable connected direct into smart tv and android box. The 3rd port was then connected into the mesh wifi box. Everything else then connects via wifi into the mesh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

That doesn't make sense to me as you are going to lose connectivity to your eir vision box. Do you mean to take another cable from your eir router and connect it to a wifi access point?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense to me as you are going to lose connectivity to your eir vision box. Do you mean to take another cable from your eir router and connect it to a wifi access point?

No I want to see i if I can take the cable that is going into the eir vision box at the moment and "Split" it by taking out the cable from the eir vision box and put it into a router or some sort of device and then from that device ( say repeater or access point - Im not certain on the techinical name) to give wifi around the room and ALSO to get two ethernet outputs - one that can then go to the eir vision box and another to another TV device.

Is there anything that I can buy that will do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

No I want to see i if I can take the cable that is going into the eir vision box at the moment and "Split" it by taking out the cable from the eir vision box and put it into a router or some sort of device and then from that device ( say repeater or access point - Im not certain on the techinical name) to give wifi around the room and ALSO to get two ethernet outputs - one that can then go to the eir vision box and another to another TV device.

something like this.....

https://www.huntoffice.ie/netgear-wac104-radio-access-point-4-ports-wi-fi-dual-band-wac104-100uks-3998573.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Many of the modern wifi systems have features like family control, content filtering, monitoring, controlling the access of certain devices to the internet and scheduling of that. Obviously you should check for those features for whichever mesh system you are interested in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A simple €20 Ethernet Switch? Might end up looking like this:

Eir Router -> | Mesh Device 1 -> | Desktop PC |
    Eir Router -> | Mesh Device 1 -> | Ethernet Switch -> | Mesh Device 2
    Eir Router -> | Mesh Device 1 -> | Ethernet Switch -> | Eir Vision Box

Note, above there is really only one ethernet cable going from the Eir Router to the Mesh Device 1 and likewise from the Mesh Device 1 to the Ethernet Switch.

Only thing I'm not sure about, is if the Eir Vision box has to be connected to the Eir Router directly for any reason. Might be best to check on the Broadband forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daveq

Anyone any experience of Asus AiMesh? I already have an Asus rt-ac68u. If I was to pick up another one of these sounds like I could get setup with a mesh system for less than investing in a Google/nest mesh or similar?

• Advertisement

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5M9NNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am returning my set of these, I paid 210 UKP but so just looking for that if anyone interested......if not will return for refund

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N5M9NNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am returning my set of these, I paid 210 UKP but so just looking for that if anyone interested......if not will return for refund

How did you find these lyksys velops. Do you think they are worth buying. They look to be very expensive.

How did you find these lyksys velops. Do you think they are worth buying. They look to be very expensive.

Very good, great performance and the aware looks to be something which long term could be really good

The shield if you have young kids could be good as well

Best so far of everything I have tried, mate has them as well and loves them

My problem, my house...block walls and bungalow means I need to spread it out. My problem is a sub room which is out into the garden and tv is at far end, so I need a point in it, so I would need 4 nodes and maybe another at other end of house

I’m going with the TP-Link because I can buy the cheaper unit for those specific areas....

If I had a two storey these would be perfect.,..not saying because I’m selling either

I bought the dual band cheaper ones and they performed very well too

The app is good and very plug and play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Very good, great performance and the aware looks to be something which long term could be really good

The shield if you have young kids could be good as well

Best so far of everything I have tried, mate has them as well and loves them

My problem, my house...block walls and bungalow means I need to spread it out. My problem is a sub room which is out into the garden and tv is at far end, so I need a point in it, so I would need 4 nodes and maybe another at other end of house

I’m going with the TP-Link because I can buy the cheaper unit for those specific areas....

If I had a two storey these would be perfect.,..not saying because I’m selling either

I bought the dual band cheaper ones and they performed very well too

The app is good and very plug and play

Why are you persevering with a WiFi Mesh when it doesn't seem to suit your needs?

A bungalow is normally easy because of roof access. AP's are great installed in the middle of a room on the ceiling. I've even installed them by leaving them in the roof not quite as effective but did save on drilling a few holes and the look of the AP's on the wall/ceiling.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Why are you persevering with a WiFi Mesh when it doesn't seem to suit your needs?

A bungalow is normally easy because of roof access. AP's are great installed in the middle of a room on the ceiling. I've even installed them by leaving them in the roof not quite as effective but did save on drilling a few holes and the look of the AP's on the wall/ceiling.

The house doesn't suit putting in wire in attic....I have a number of high ceiling rooms and I dont really want to run wires around

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sooo I just purchased Google Nest Wifi. It should be here in a few days. I plan to install one upstairs and one downstairs.

The important devices in my house (iMac, TV streaming devices, Smart TVs, AV amp) all have hardwired Ethernet connections. These will be mainly for IoT devices, smart phones, school iPads and a child's Xbox.

I like the idea of being able to set up schedules for certain devices so that the kid's are not playing Xbox or streaming Netflix at 3am. This is more important to me than loosing a bit of broadband speed.

So did I make the correct choice? :confused:
    Opinions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Yes, I've been using my Google Nest WiFi for a few weeks now and you can do exactly that.
    I've moved a few devices into their own group (very easily in the Google home app) and they have restricted content and a cut off time.

How much was two of them?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How much was two of them?

Wifi router + wifi point cost €259 in total.

2011 wrote: »
    Wifi router + wifi point cost €259 in total.

Sorry for a dual band system that is crazy money

Especially when you are only getting 2 units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What are the other systems priced at? I mean the ones that you'd recommend

Really? What should I expect to pay for this? I only need 2

Due to a few issues I needed to get a good WiFi system in place quickly. I also have several Google Homes, a Nest Hello and Nest smoke detectors (that have disconnected from my current WiFi and won’t reconnect).

Apart from the cost do you think it is a good setup ?

Really? What should I expect to pay for this? I only need 2

Due to a few issues I needed to get a good WiFi system in place quickly. I also have several Google Homes, a Nest Hello and Nest smoke detectors (that have disconnected from my current WiFi and won’t reconnect).

Apart from the cost do you think it is a good setup ?

All of the mesh wifi will work with google, you dont need to buy google

So you dont think I am making it up, this is from earlier in thread

bk wrote: »
    Last option is dual band only system. The only reason to consider one of these systems, is if you are using it with ethernet backhaul or if you budget is very limited and you can't stretch to any of the above options. Now if all you care about is getting connectivity where you currently don't have any, then yes, they do work, but performance is slow. Though that might not really bother some people, as long as it is fast enough to do one HD stream, they are happy. However I wouldn't pay much for this, if this is your goal, you should be looking at the cheaper systems.

So just to give example I piad 210UKP for the Tri-Band Linksys which will come in at circa the same price you paid. It is 3 units as well which will help you with coverage. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WHW0303-UK-Tri-Band-Extender-Whole-Home/dp/B01N5M9NNB/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?cv_ct_cx=deco+tp-link&dchild=1&keywords=deco+tp-link&pd_rd_i=B01N5M9NNB&pd_rd_r=f0acb830-b427-4f06-914a-a46151ec2c89&pd_rd_w=a2NHV&pd_rd_wg=l7M62&pf_rd_p=d9b87ec0-c7c2-464c-b8a6-2e7b5576127a&pf_rd_r=31E0WQ57C4V5QPMG2VSS&psc=1&qid=1588713625&sr=1-1-718396de-69ac-46a0-9195-9669ab0086b2

Im selling as per post

Even if you wanted to stay on the dual band I would suggest these will give better coverage and are faster, I have them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-everywhere-complete/dp/B01NBMMVG7/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mesh+wifi&qid=1588713333&sr=8-5

All of the mesh wifi will work with google, you dont need to buy google

I know, I have been using the same Apple airport devices for Over 10 years.
    I suspect I have an increased chance of resolving my Nest smoke detector connection issue though.

Sounds good (although I only need 2) and they are £283 now + delivery so quite a bit more (although you get 3). As above the main objective is to have better control of what is connected for the reasons given above. Will they provide that? I like what the Google app can do in terms of schedules etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

towger wrote: »
    Anyone who has got Google Nest WiFi, where did you get it ? Not launched in Ireland yet.

It’s in the Irish Google Store now.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Yes it went live on it today. Thanks.

Yes, that is where I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

GinSoaked wrote: »

One reason I'd never use Ubiquiti access points is that their PoE is all 24Volt so can't be plugged into a standard supply from a normal PoE switch. You need to be a 25 quid adapter to use Ubiquiti equipment on a normal PoE switch.

This is not true, I've my unifi AC pro AP running off a standard Meraki PoE switch without issues.

I know, I have been using the same Apple airport devices for Over 10 years.
    I suspect I have an increased chance of resolving my Nest smoke detector connection issue though.

Sounds good (although I only need 2) and they are £283 now + delivery so quite a bit more (although you get 3). As above the main objective is to have better control of what is connected for the reasons given above. Will they provide that? I like what the Google app can do in terms of schedules etc.

It will give you a huge boost in coverage. Im flogging mine, or if you want when I return they will pop up on Amazon as used item for fairly similar price to what I paid.....so you could buy direct from them....it is the 3 unit

You could go with Linksys shield whihc you can limit sites based on age group, It also allow when a device can be turned on/off

You could also create a seperate wifi and then turn that on/off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

davo2001 wrote: »
    This is not true, I've my unifi AC pro AP running off a standard Meraki PoE switch without issues.

Yes, aren't most PoE devices voltage adapting?

Advertisement