Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir to charge customers €5.99 per month

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emffb1

It's going to be an absolute disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Just switch to another email provider. Eg. Gmail, yahoo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Joke company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

They clearly want to just shut their email down. Will hit older people the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

BT/IOL did the same last year.
    Pushed the service over the Blacknight hosting for 1 year free of charge & then open it up to the charged monthly like Eir are doing.

My parents both had IOL accounts then, 1 cancelled or let it lapse & other moved to Blacknight but has been phasing it out for last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 emffb1

When you've had the same email address for over 20 years and also an eir address for work it's not so easy do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

ongarite wrote: »
    BT/IOL did the same last year.
    Pushed the service over the Blacknight hosting for 1 year free of charge & then open it up to the charged monthly like Eir are doing.

We haven't finalised what if anything we'll be charging. Either way it won't be that much.

See: https://www.blacknight.com/savemyemail/

"Blacknight has committed to keep the BT legacy email accounts free for at least 12 months.

After that, we may decide to extend the free period, or we may offer users the choice to transition to a paid service which suits their needs.

Modern professional email services are not expensive. For example, our current email-only hosting package costs just €9.99 plus VAT per year."

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Hang on a minute, I was under the impression that this was already charged for with the BB subscription!! When you join eir for BB they said you can have an email account. I cannot recall where it said it was free. And to charge €5.99 a month = €72 a year is extortionate. This is a real rip off.

Can COMREG do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

swoofer wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, I was under the impression that this was already charged for with the BB subscription!! When you join eir for BB they said you can have an email account. I cannot recall where it said it was free. And to charge €5.99 a month = €72 a year is extortionate. This is a real rip off.

Can COMREG do anything?

Lots of people have an eircom.net email and have no contract for broadband etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

A yesterday company, it's about time it went away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

satguy wrote: »
    A yesterday company, it's about time it went away.

I'm sure that they are hoping everyone will bail out.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

easypazz wrote: »
    Lots of people have an eircom.net email and have no contract for broadband etc.

Yea.
    We have our Eircom.net email since we first got service, but haven’t been customers for nearly 12 years.

Will need to do something now as won’t be paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.
    We have our Eircom.net email since we first got service, but haven’t been customers for nearly 12 years.

Will need to do something now as won’t be paying for it.

While people still using eir email accounts but intend to let them go, make sure to remember to check you are not using those addresses as the secondary address for account recovery options with any other provider or Apps.

If you have any, now would be a good time to change them.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Outlook.com is a winner for me. The ability to open and edit documents/presentations/excels through the browser is something I can't surrender for another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

What are the options if one wants to keep the address ? Can I move it somewhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Rather annoyed as the eircom address I got 12 years ago was myname@eircom.net with no extra digits or letters which is why I've kept it as my main email address.

Not about to pay €5.99 a month for it though.

Got two other eircom.net emails on the go as well that have been used to sign up to various websites over the years. Have to go through everything I'm signed up to and change the email to my gmail one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

westgolf wrote: »
    What are the options if one wants to keep the address ? Can I move it somewhere else ?

No, you'll need to pay Eir 5.99 a month for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Had my account for 15 years, don't want to start paying for it, also have gmail account but hardly use it, always use Eircom.net with all my communications bills, banks etc..., going to be a pain changing all from Eircom to Gmail.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Had my account for 15 years, don't want to start paying for it, also have gmail account but hardly use it, always use Eircom.net with all my communications bills, banks etc..., going to be a pain changing all from Eircom to Gmail.

eircom.net doesn't even have a published SPF record. Let alone DMARC / DKIM.

Most enterprise based SPAM filters will drop mail from Eircom.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Still have a name@indigo.ie and name@gofree.indigo.ie accounts. Anybody remember those? Wonder where they are being hosted??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

NoDrama wrote: »
    eircom.net doesn't even have a published SPF record. Let alone DMARC / DKIM.

Most enterprise based SPAM filters will drop mail from Eircom.net.

Haven't a clue what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hopefully will force a few business over to use an actual domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Mormegil wrote: »
    Rather annoyed as the eircom address I got 12 years ago was myname@eircom.net with no extra digits or letters which is why I've kept it as my main email address.

e.

Mine is also firstnamelastname@eircom.net it’s the only one I’ve ever used for business. ( well it was originally @tinet.ie before they changed their name ) it’s on letterhead, business cards, pretty much everything that issues from the office.

They said they will shut down accounts after 60 days if not paid and no forwarding email to new addresses. I don’t have or need a website/domain. So are they really trying to push people out and close it or do they hope that those in similar position to me will just pay up rather than the inconvenience it would cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭looksee

About 18 months ago I moved house, and as Eir could not provide me with a service at my next house I had to cancel my account with them. They made it almost impossible to do, and in the end the only way I could deal with them was through Boards - once you have cancelled you can't phone them, but they can keep taking money off you. Even if you are still a customer you can spend hours on the phone being passed from one to another with no result.

They have now gone from boards, so are essentially uncontactable.

There is, therefore, not the smallest chance that I will give Eir any sort of direct debit, and I don't intend to have to remember to pay them every month, so my email address that I have had since pretty much day one - simply myname@eircom.net - will be defunct and I will go to gmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Stratvs wrote: »
    Mine is also firstnamelastname@eircom.net it’s the only one I’ve ever used for business. ( well it was originally @tinet.ie before they changed their name ) it’s on letterhead, business cards, pretty much everything that issues from the office.

They said they will shut down accounts after 60 days if not paid and no forwarding email to new addresses. I don’t have or need a website/domain. So are they really trying to push people out and close it or do they hope that those in similar position to me will just pay up rather than the inconvenience it would cause.

With all due respect, a business having an eircom.net email to me looks a bit cheap. A domain and hosting plan with email is cheap as chips and looks way way more professional imo. Even the smallest business shoudl ahve a website in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you have a business that uses email. You definitely do need a domain. Nothing more unprofessional than business using free email services imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Possibly a bit of both.

Get rid of 1000's of accounts that are just private individuals but keep the accounts of businesses who are willing to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You can get a domain and full email service for about 25 quid a year
    http://www.dynu.com/en-US
    Free dynamic DNS service | Dynu Systems ...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I think they just want to shutter the service. The fact that they arent offering existing broadband/mobile/tv customers a discount to me sounds like they want to make it uninviting to stay an email customer. Hosting email isn't cheap. By charging for it, they don't have to deal with the more negative publicity of retiring the service. Anyone in this day and age that has their business running from a free eircom.net email address doesn't value their business much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have been using it as a personal email account since the late 90's. When t'internet first became available as a basic dial up experiment for the tech minded, Eircom was the only available provider in these parts. There are still lots of @eircom addresses in use around Wicklow.

It will be a pain transferring to another service and ensuring that all my recovery email accounts are updated, but I am not going to pay the fee. I am sure that is what they actually want - everyone to leave. As a country we didn't have a good relationship with P7t/Telecom Eireann/Eircom/Eir over the years, they didn't even want our shareholding investment in the end :)

I knew this day would come at some point, and here it is.

Advertisement