Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2020, 22:06   #31
happywithlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintarō Hattori View Post
We did go for the assessment of needs and as such are on the waiting list. We got feedback that the times are so long, we should apply to the early intervention team. We had done, they rejected us and told us to go for the assessment of needs, which we had already applied or anyway.

I am under no illusion that there's a quick fix for anything and we are firmly in this for the long haul with our little lady. It does appear that she'll be outside of the 3 month time frame for her initial assessment. I'm not sure whether it's worth taking them to task on that legally or not. Could it impact on future services I wonder.
On the AON thing ....
We are 2 yrs + waiting to get our's completed. Fill in the application form for the complaint. This took us several months to get processed. Complaint was upheld and date given for AON to be completed.
But such is the lack of services even that comes with a blue appeal form you fill in immediately stating the Timeline outlined in the complaint procedure wasn't / isn't going to be upheld.
This also takes months to process.
Eventually however I've been told ultimately the HSE is compelled to outsource. If you can afford it a well versed solicitors letter may well be worth it.
Ensure you get the service statement & try to get it implemented
I would think getting to know your local TD and their office staff would be invaluable also
From my experience :-(
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2020, 15:45   #32
Kintarō Hattori
All Round Nice Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
So has anyone here who has a child with sensory processing disorder / severe speech delay comment on the below:

The missus was telling me today that the speech therapist was saying our daughter can't colour a picture. My partner was saying that when getting dressed she gives up trying to get her trousers on.

I'm not sure what to make of that. Is it a lack of an attention span? Gives up easily if something seems like a hassle? I know she can take her sandals and boots off and she does try taking her coat/vests off.... though I tend to still do that. I must get her to do more of these small things herself.
04-03-2020, 18:19   #33
Calhoun

Quote:
So has anyone here who has a child with sensory processing disorder / severe speech delay comment on the below:

The missus was telling me today that the speech therapist was saying our daughter can't colour a picture. My partner was saying that when getting dressed she gives up trying to get her trousers on.

I'm not sure what to make of that. Is it a lack of an attention span? Gives up easily if something seems like a hassle? I know she can take her sandals and boots off and she does try taking her coat/vests off.... though I tend to still do that. I must get her to do more of these small things herself.
Well with an autism diagnosis attention can be a very big thing, normally occupational therapy is what is used to help focus the attention more. I know this is a very dumbed down version of it as there are kids with ADHD and Autism but just giving a general feedback.

When you describe your situation, how do i put this what is unique about it that differs from a normal child? as you have described it, sounds like normal kid behavior.
(2) thanks from:
04-03-2020, 22:54   #34
yellow hen

Quote:

Could be lots of things or could be nothing. If I had to guess, I'd say dyspraxia. Honestly though, she sounds like she's doing great with parents who are very invested in her. Try not to worry too much. Visit an occupational therapist and you'll get a much clearer picture.
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2020, 10:54   #35
fits

Quote:

Sounds normal to me!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet