Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir installer says copper cable going into our estate needs to be replaced

• 07-12-2019 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Eir were supposed to install our broadband yesterday, but the engineer couldn’t get it to work. He said he couldn’t get a connection on any of the cables in the 50 pair cable coming into the estate. We couldn’t understand this as the speed test on Eir’s website said we could get up to 90mb and the guy across the road from us is getting 87, but the engineer said he probably got on of the working cables in the 50 pair.

He said he has been out to our estate twice before in the last year and that Eir have known about the 50 pair cable going into the estate being faulty all this time but done nothing about it. To make matters worse he also said we had a working cable going into our place but he swapped it with our neighbour who wanted broadband the last time he was out, as there was nobody living in our place at the time.

The engineer gave us the impression he doesn’t think Eir will replace the cable, as everything is going fibre optic. I phoned Eir and they said they will fix it if needs be, but it could take a few weeks, and that what the engineer meant was that they don’t run copper to new houses built after 2015 (ours was built in 2005).

I work from home and need fast broadband, the company I work for will only allow cable or ADSL broadband, it can’t be LTE and their are no cable providers in this area. We did our research and Eir told us that the whole estate can get fibre to the cabinet, as the cabinet is a 2 minute walk from the entrance to the estate.

Does anyone know how long something like this can drag out for ?, surely Eir are obligated to fix this seeing as the are advertising broadband and swapped our working cable with our neighbour. We are currently paying 2 mortgages as we can’t move out of our old place until I know I can work from home in our new place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If the installer is correct in what he is saying you could be waiting months to years for this to be resolved. I don't think they have an obligation to fix it because you never had a line installed. The installer is correct in that fibre optic is the future but depending on if or where you are in their roll out plans you may be waiting quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I don't think they have an obligation to fix it because you never had a line installed.

The previous owner did have a line installed though, and they swapped it with our neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

J0hnick wrote: »
    The previous owner did have a line installed though, and they swapped it with our neighbours.

OK, but I assume the line wasn't active when they switched it so nobody lost service. You can try going down the Comreg route but I suspect you'll be banging your head against a brick wall. Anyway here is Comreg's advice on the matter. You order the line then if or when they don't deliver you set the complaints process in motion.

https://www.comreg.ie/ga/eolas-tomhaltora/fon-baile/cuir-isteach-line-seasta/

Just spoke to the previous owner, they had Vodafone there and only cancelled it in August and we only put in an offer for the house in September, if the previous owner had to give Vodafone 30 days notice would Eir be breaching that contract with Vodafone by swapping it over ?.

Would Eir swap the cable back over if we got permission from our neighbour?, they only use it for general use and would probably be fine with an LTE dongle, I’d even give them the password for our WiFi and buy them a WiFi extender if I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the cable is that degraded the sheath is likely compromised. I wouldn't go to a load of effort just for rodents to riddle it on you the following week.

They can refer it to cabling for a replacement but it getting permanently mothballed sounds likely. If you want you could ask every neighbor with an active service to report and keep reporting but good luck with that..

• Advertisement

Spoke to Eir this morning, their sending another engineer out and gave me a forecast date of February 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

J0hnick wrote: »
    Spoke to Eir this morning, their sending another engineer out and gave me a forecast date of February 7th.

3 months forecast. Usual story with them. They are incapable of actually making a plan for a date earlier than that.

/M

Just got a call from them, forecast date has been moved forward to January 20th to "fix underground cables". I imagine this is a good sign ?.

OK,

So they said they couldn't fix it back on the 20th of Jan due to "insufficient resources", so they pushed it back to the 7th of Feb again, that's now passed.

They apologized and promised me a good will gesture for the delay, and asked me to call back on Monday for an update, I called back and there was still no update. I called back yesterday, was told they were working on underground ducting and that they would call me back today between 2 and 3 with another update .... never got the call.

OK, BIG update.

Since the 17th of February we have made numerous calls to Eir and were told different things, that they are awaiting a license to start work even though another advisor had said there wasn't an issue with licensing. We had to continuously contact them and kept getting new forecast dates of when it would be fixed, but no work was being carried out. All this while always being promised call backs that never happened, and being put on hold for ages and the line mysteriously dropping.

We got a date of March 27th and again nothing was done, we were then told out of the blue that it would be fixed by August with no explanation as to why it would now take 4 more months. We were informed that our issue had been escalated to their manager. We rang again in March and spoke with the one advisor who was actually helpful. We told her what had happened and that the line was taken from our house when it was for sale and that it was put into the neighbours house, and that the 50 pair cable is damaged and now there is no working spare lines. She stated that the engineer should not have removed the working line and she sent a very detailed email to her manager which she verified with us before sending. About two weeks went by and I received a phone call from an engineer who was at the estate, he stated that he had carried out work to see what the issue was. He stated that the 50 pair cable was damaged and that the issue was backed onto the road. He stated that he would send his information to Open EIR. I asked him what the process is and he stated that a license needs to be applied from the council to dig the roads, he said that would usually take 2-3 weeks and that the work then would take about 3 weeks. We then rang Eir who didn't even know that the engineer had called me, so I informed them. We were then given another date of March 27th. That date went by again with no call back from Eir.

I contacted them again and was then told that the date is pushed back to August again with no explanation as to why. I had asked numerous times if a license had even been applied for as the engineer had been out to the estate a few weeks ago however they could not provide me with any information. Eir stated that they could not give us an update because Open Eir had not informed them. I was then told that due to Covid-19 that work would take longer. The advisor stated that the work should be completed before August, that August 20th was a worst case scenario. Although I understood that Covid-19 has had an effect on us all, again days went by with no updates. I decided to contact Wexford county council, and emailed the road licensing department. I asked to see if there were any issues with applying for licenses due to Covid, they confirmed that there are no issues with licenses as telecommunications are deemed as essential. I asked then if a license was applied for and was informed that a license had been applied for by Eir and that it looked to be by the school where the issue is.

I contacted Eir again on the 22nd of May for an update, I explained to the advisor that I had been on to the council and that there was no issues with applying for licenses and that I have seen numerous Open Eir vans working around the village. The advisor stated that the date it
    should be fixed is the 20/08/20, that underground cabling needs to take place however that this is worse case scenario that it should be completed before this date. I then rang on Wednesday 27th of May and stated that under the data protection act I wanted copies of all of the case notes and calls, I was told I would have to speak to their customer relations department, was transferred through, and hung up on after being on hold for 45 minutes.

On Friday I received a phone call from the only helpful advisor we spoke to during this whole ordeal, she stated that she was working on our case however her manager was informed that Open Eir may not fix the fault, as they have said it will cost too much. The advisor said she was still looking into the issue and will call back soon with a final update and said she was "raging" as if the original engineer hadn't put our line into our neighbours house, none of this would have happened.

I cannot put into words how angry I am right now with Eir over this entire ordeal. I am paying 2 mortgages since November last year, one of which is for a house that I could count on my fingers how many nights Ive stayed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No surprise whatsoever. There scumbags are at it the whole time, My mother had theme for home broadband and phone, was always failing and cutting out, she was supposed to get eir sports with the package, but only through the Internet, as I have said it was on the blink most of the time. She switched to Vodafone, good service, no issues whatsoever, that was in December/January time, think just before Christmas. I'll skip the next bit, but sadly she was hospilised, and died in March. She didn't give 30 days notice, and the bills kept coming in. They were first in line for bills despite their ****e coverage. Fast forward to last night, and a Woman who is dead since March gets an email with a bill for 40 quid. That is despite the account being closed and her being dead. Run away from this shower of ***** as fast as possible, and call ComReg if you have been charged anything that hasn't been provided

Sorry for your loss. Their customer service is beyond terrible.

Advertisement