Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things to do in Dublin or elsewhere that don’t involve drinking

• 12-10-2019 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I’m looking to do a few things at the weekends that don’t involve drinking? What would you suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I’m looking to do a few things at the weekends that don’t involve drinking? What would you suggest?

The Guinness storehouse, its our biggest tourist attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Why not go for a nice brisk walk in the countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Heroin?

Heroin tickles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful morning, im going out on me bike along the coast

Some options.

Get the Dart out to Killiney and walk in along Vico Road towards Dun Laoghaire... merge this with the other thread, and go for a dip in the nip: the pier at Hawk Cliff is a good spot.
    Or go out there at night-time and walk up Killiney Hill to watch the sun set over Dublin. It's fairly beautiful.
    Go to the airport and watch the big planes landing. You'll need to get a move on - the best ones land before lunchtime.
    Drive out to Blessington and walk around the lake. Bring a dog or a child if you have one. They love that.
    Enjoy the only good thing the Brits ever did for Ireland, they built the museums and the National Gallery. They're all completely free. The National Gallery is one of the best in Europe, even for the building alone.
    If you're meeting friends and don't want to drink, there's a pub on Capel Street called The Virgín Mary, which only serves non alcoholic drinks. But apparently it is surprisingly pricy.

Honestly there are loads of options. Cinema? Coffee? Go to a nice restaurant and still spend less than you would on a night out? There are so many things to do in Dublin that don't involve alcohol that alcohol wouldn't even occur to many of us as a first option. Pints are often a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Escape rooms! I did one with a couple of friends last week, great way to pass an evening.

And have you ever tried bouldering? Great fun, whether on your own or with a group of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Parkrun to start your weekend off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Buy a yacht

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

The clockwork door is a great place to keep an eye on. Just on the quays beside h'penny bridge.

Past that, there are plenty of board games groups set up around the city and if you dont mind being in a pub, there are plenty of people who go to these things but do not drink.
    Board Game Ireland is the biggest of these in Dublin, they meet twice a week, one of the days is on a Sunday. You will find them (and others) on FB or meetup.com with a small bit of looking.

Past that again... have a look for open groups on meetup.com - plenty of random activities on there that are non alcohol based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Get mugged:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Your Face wrote: »
    Buy a yacht

Ya could do with more Cocaine in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hiking,Gym,Gym Classes,Cinema, playing/watching sports,roadtrips
    Catch up with friends over coffee/Dinner etc are my go-tos when I’m avoiding pints :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Watch breaking bad and better call Saul twenty or so times. Then watch the film and complain about continuity errors you noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I sometimes like a visit to the Chester Beatty library when in Dublin. No drink involved. Collins Baracks is another very interesting place. Both are free to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

BDI wrote: »
    Watch breaking bad and better call Saul twenty or so times. Then watch the film and complain about continuity errors you noticed.

Yeah hang on I’m not even past seasons 1. There’s too much TV on tap nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Ya could do with more Cocaine in Dublin.

Always can do with more cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Hi, OP, I'll close this thread for a little while and move it to the Non Drinkers forum.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules before you post.

Buford T. Justice

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread re-opened

Advertisement