Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Juicing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jh79 wrote: »
    If you want to believe that blenders have magic powers that's up to you. I don't need to research how a spinning blade works.

Not a big fan of blending myself, juicing however is fantastic .......... of course juicers are not magical but I do believe (know) that the soluble fibre, protein and nutrition (ie the juice!) from fresh fruit and vegetables are quite powerful, call the physical effects it has on the human body magical if you wish :)

mickman wrote: »
    Cooking food increases the availability of some nutrients.

We cook our food as we are top of the food chain. If a dog knew how to cook his food then he would

You would prob have felt just as good by giving up drink / smoking and eating healthier - juicing helped you do that do fair play but you would have achieved same results eating a balanced diet

Heat actually kills the nutrients in most foods, there are of course some exceptions ........... broccoli and tomatoes, for example, are more nutritionally beneficial when cooked.

Gave up drinking and smoking before I juiced while maintaining a balanced diet and I felt good ............. however I felt great whilst juicing! :)

Essien wrote: »
    Properly? It's putting things into a blender, there isn't much room for error.

Well you just made one vital error .......... blending is not the same as juicing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Heat actually kills the nutrients in most foods, there are of course some exceptions ........... broccoli and tomatoes, for example, are more nutritionally beneficial when cooked.

Gave up drinking and smoking before I juiced while maintaining a balanced diet and I felt good ............. however I felt great whilst juicing! :)

Are you saying it is not possible to meet your nutritional needs without blending/juicing? With just cooked and raw fruit and veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Heat actually kills the nutrients in most foods, there are of course some exceptions ........... broccoli and tomatoes, for example, are more nutritionally beneficial when cooked

The level of heat is important and in many cases, e.g. vegetables, heat doesn't kill the nutrients. Not to any meaningful extent.

• Advertisement

SarB89 wrote: »
    Anyone else have any recommendations on good juicers please?? This thread is kinda gone off topic with debates..

Very true, the OP asked advice about juicers, have no idea why non-juicers feel the need to post here ......... :confused:

Anyway there are basically three types of juicers .......... a masticating juicer, a fusion juicer and a centrifugal juicer.

The masticating juicer is a slow cold press juicer and requires you to cut up the fruit and veg before juicing .......... they provide the highest quality juice but are quite slow to use, difficult to clean and very expensive.

The centrifugal juicer is best for a beginner ............. they are extremely fast, easy to clean and cheaper than other juicers. I recommend the Philips range.

The fusion juicer is my personal preferred juicer ........... for speed, price and quality of juice it's somewhere between the masticaticating and centrifugal juicers, basically it's the best of both worlds.

It's worth noting than when it comes to juicers you do generally get what you pay for!

Are you saying it is not possible to meet your nutritional needs without blending/juicing? With just cooked and raw fruit and veg?

No

The level of heat is important and in many cases, e.g. vegetables, heat doesn't kill the nutrients. Not to any meaningful extent.

Not true ............

No

So you agree juicing isn't necessary for a healthy lifestyle and gives no advantage beyond providing an easy method to increase fruit and veg intake?

Not true ............

Care to expand?

• Advertisement

So you agree juicing isn't necessary for a healthy lifestyle and gives no advantage beyond providing an easy method to increase fruit and veg intake?

I didn't say juicing doesn't give one an advantage health-wise, in fact I'm saying it absolutely does give one a huge advantage ............

I didn't say juicing doesn't give one an advantage health-wise, in fact I'm saying it absolutely does give one a huge advantage ............

Which is?

Care to expand?

Well I could (as lots of posters do) provide links to studies by doctors/scientists etc. to "prove" that what I'm teeling you is true but that's easy and what would be the point?
    You would just google until you find a study to say the opposite and post it as a reply to refute the fact that heat kills nutrients .........

Which is?

What's the point in telling you that?
    It won't change your ill-informed opinion ......... if you really really want to know then try it :)

I didn't believe it when I first heard about juicing then somebody close to me (who has been juicing for over 8 years) challenged me to try it for at least 7 days so I accepted the challenge ........... still didn't believe him on days 1, 2 and 3 .......... started to waiver on day 4 and by day 7 I knew that he knew exactly what he was talking about ......... so I continued to juice (the first time) for a total of 15 days!
    Haven't looked back since and will always advise and encourage anybody who is interested in getting into juicing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

It's hilarious that words like "qualified" and "prove" are in quotation marks. :) Sure who needs reality anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

What's the point in telling you that?
    It won't change your ill-informed opinion ......... if you really really want to know then try it :)

I didn't believe it when I first heard about juicing then somebody close to me (who has been juicing for over 8 years) challenged me to try it for at least 7 days so I accepted the challenge ........... still didn't believe him on days 1, 2 and 3 .......... started to waiver on day 4 and by day 7 I knew that he knew exactly what he was talking about ......... so I continued to juice (the first time) for a total of 15 days!
    Haven't looked back since and will always advise and encourage anybody who is interested in getting into juicing! :)

fair enough. it works for you

i tried it and didnt like it at all. I love vegetables but in juice form they made me sick and just didnt feel right drinking it

Well I could (as lots of posters do) provide links to studies by doctors/scientists etc. to "prove" that what I'm teeling you is true but that's easy and what would be the point?
    You would just google until you find a study to say the opposite and post it as a reply to refute the fact that heat kills nutrients .........

Are you even going to try and suggest a figure for heat?

I mean room temperature qualifies as 'heat'.

Each to their own and all that but if you're going to start posting something as fact that could potentially mislead someone, at least try to be a little less vague.

Essien wrote: »
    It's hilarious that words like "qualified" and "prove" are in quotation marks. :) Sure who needs reality anyway.

Ok ....... the reality is those who juice know, those who don't juice don't know and those who don't juice but are willing to try it will find out for themselves regardless of what any doctor or study will tell you :)

fair enough. it works for you

i tried it and didnt like it at all. I love vegetables but in juice form they made me sick and just didnt feel right drinking it

How long did you juice for?
    Did you juice only?
    What quantities of which fruit and vegetables did you juice?
    How many juices did you drink in a day and what amount of juice was each juice?

How long did you juice for?
    Did you juice only?
    What quantities of which fruit and vegetables did you juice?
    How many juices did you drink in a day and what amount of juice was each juice?

didnt juice fruit

juiced in morning - used carrots / spinach / beets if i remember correctly.

quantity varied

• Advertisement

Are you even going to try and suggest a figure for heat?

I mean room temperature qualifies as 'heat'.

Each to their own and all that but if you're going to start posting something as fact that could potentially mislead someone, at least try to be a little less vague.

Absolutely room temperature qualifies as heat .......... it's best to drink the juice immediately after juicing but failing that it's important to refrigerate the juice immediately in an air-tight flask and drink as soon as possible.

As regards being vague please feel free to ask me a specific question regarding juicing and I'll do my best to answer you :)

didnt juice fruit

quantity varied

Not enough information there to give any advise on where you went wrong, however I will say it doesn't sound like you followed any specific plan ......... it's advisable to study juicing, set out a plan for a specific amount of time and to follow through with the plan :)

Absolutely room temperature qualifies as heat .......... it's best to drink the juice immediately after juicing but failing that it's important to refrigerate the juice immediately in an air-tight flask and drink as soon as possible.

Right.

So the fruit and/or veg exist in a state of non-heat before they've been bought, brought home and in the interim before it was juiced.

What percentage of nutrients have they from when they were picked to when they were juiced, being subjected to heat all this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I juiced for a week. Only juiced vegetables, no fruit. Had 3 glasses a day, sometimes 4.

Spent the week with the ****s, lost 4lbs, felt awful, had to go home sick from work because I was exhausted. Stuck with it for 7 days. The diahorrea lasted 7 days. Never again. I'll stick to eating veg.

Right.

So the fruit and/or veg exist in a state of non-heat before they've been bought, brought home and in the interim before it was juiced.

What percentage of nutrients have they from when they were picked to when they were juiced, being subjected to heat all this time?

That depends on where they were grown and where you buy them .......... buying organically will help .......... in an ideal world you would grow your own but for obvious reasons that's not a viable option ........ a basic rule of thumb is the less human intervention your food has the better it is for you :)

That depends on where they were grown and where you buy them .......... buying organically will help .......... in an ideal world you would grow your own but for obvious reasons that's not a viable option ........ a basic rule of thumb is the less human intervention your food has the better it is for you :)

That doesn't answer though.

What is the level of nutrient loss from the moment they are picked to going into the juice, considering they are subject to heat all the while?

And what level of nutrient loss do you have from the fruit/vegetable as a whole when you just extract the juice?

I juiced for a week. Only juiced vegetables, no fruit. Had 3 glasses a day, sometimes 4.

Spent the week with the ****s, lost 4lbs, felt awful, had to go home sick from work because I was exhausted. Stuck with it for 7 days. The diahorrea lasted 7 days. Never again. I'll stick to eating veg.

Although some people do experience slight diahorrea or constipation in the first 3/4 days (afterall juicing is a dramatic lifestyle change for most people) your bowel movements will return to normal ............. in your case there could have been a number of reasons this happened to you .......... you may have rapidly increased the amount of soluble fibre intake compared to your normal diet, the introduction of digestive enzymes released in the juicing process, you may have an underlying tendency toward diarrhea/frequent stools including history of irritable bowel syndrome ........... straight away I can tell you should have added fruit to your juices for the pectin, a green apple for example which keeps you moving along as normal.

Drink plenty of water, electrolyte rich fluids such as unflavoured cocnut water and stay away from juicing gas producing vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.

Of course all this advise is irrelevant to you now after the fact as you are probably turned off juicing for life which is a real shame ........... if only you had done it properly in the first place :(

That doesn't answer though.

What is the level of nutrient loss from the moment they are picked to going into the juice, considering they are subject to heat all the while?

And what level of nutrient loss do you have from the fruit/vegetable as a whole when you just extract the juice?

The first question cannot be answered accurately as it depends where you source your fruit and vegetables ...........

As for your second question it depends on what juicer you use ......... as previously stated if you use a good quality masticating slow cold-press juicer the nutrient loss will be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭meitina

didnt juice fruit

quantity varied

Just a question -
    Did you juice and drank beetroot, straight away?
    No wonder that made you sick.
    Beetroot juice should never be used before left to oxidise. It is a very powerful juice. It stimulates production of detoxifying enzymes in liver and bile. And only used in little amounts.
    Starting with 20 ml. Slowly increased to 100ml a day. Which I find is enough. And even then could cause a little nauseating feeling.
    It usually is the worst if body needs a lot of detoxifying.

• Advertisement

meitina wrote: »
    Just a question -
    Did you juice and drank beetroot, straight away?
    No wonder that made you sick.
    Beetroot juice should never be used before left to oxidise. It is a very powerful juice. It stimulates production of detoxifying enzymes in liver and bile. And only used in little amounts.
    Starting with 20 ml. Slowly increased to 100ml a day. Which I find is enough. And even then could cause a little nauseating feeling.
    It usually is the worst if body needs a lot of detoxifying.

yeah drank it right away and used a full one :-)

didnt stay down long

Advertisement