Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Reckon he'll last there? As other mentioned, maybe more restrictions on what he can and can't say.

Also, looking at previous example like TV3 giving Eamonn Dunphy a TV show to go up against the Late Late, the private sector media in Ireland always have a tough time competing with RTE's muscle.

Reckon he'll also miss the somewhat more luxurious environment in Montrose (compared to Newstalk).

But, like Marty Whelan, Gaybo, George Lee, etc, I'm sure there'll always be a job for him somewhere in RTE whenever he wants to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I think Aine Lawlor has been a very good stand in for Marian, an outside bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Newstalk will be pumping out gold like this so:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

donaghs wrote: »
    But, like Marty Whelan, Gaybo, George Lee, etc, I'm sure there'll always be a job for him somewhere in RTE whenever he wants to come back.

After his move to the private sector went tits-up, it took Marty Whelan a long time (and a lot of Daz adverts) to get his foot back in the door at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I presumed that it was both tv and radio he would be gone from but confirmed on drivetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Intriguing stuff really, And it shows the way for others that the ‘commercial sector’ is open and ready to chat.
    It leaves a huge void for the morning slot, although Mir has filled the John Murray slot well– but well enough?
    There are a few imponderables.
    If Kenny has a listenership of 328,000 currently (see attachment) – how many of them will kick their heels and go with Pat in the morning. Newstalk news will get some lift – but I see a retreating army for the News at One

Pat’s 328,000 listeners contributes to a 24% national reach for RTE1 on a listened to yesterday basis. With his reach altered, what will the RTE1 new reach be.. 22%/21% (v crude maths involved there).

It means that a re-jig. Mir to the 10 part? Who takes over the weekend (and they do need some big names at the weekend)

Least we should forget, there is a displacement for Mr Tom Dunne. I said recently that he was in a tough spot up against Kenny and what do you throw at his slot to make inroads into that might. I didn't think the answer was Kenny himself!

They only have 4 weeks to sort that out – both stations which is not a huge amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Pat made an odd comment in that Chris Donoghue interview

"If I'm on a train, and there's someone sitting opposite me, I can guarantee you by the end of the train journey, I will know everything about them and they will possibly know nothing about me - It's just the way I'm built."

If you read that out in a Hannibal Lecter voice, it sounds very disturbing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭blue4ever

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I think Aine Lawlor has been a very good stand in for Marian, an outside bet?

Philip Boucher-Hayes?? - he's got the same kinda takes no bo11ox when its necessary and is an intelligent and affable soul

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't mind who gets it, I'll be following Pat to Newstalk.

Me too. It might even be a better show if Pat gets a free hand devising it, cutting down on or out the light magaziney stuff, MLOD/O'Gorman-type reports, 'banter' with the sportsreader etc. Challenge to fill two-and-a-half hours at his age, without RTE infrastructure though.

blue4ever wrote: »
    Philip Boucher-Hayes?? - he's got the same kinda takes no bo11ox when its necessary and is an intelligent and affable soul

I think Boucher-Hayes is incredibly underused alright, he needs to be given a big gig sooner or later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

I would imagine that they are planning for life after George with this appointment. My money is Pat in the drivetime slot by next summer

Radio schedule to be announced end of August and announcement made then.

They said more may go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »
    Pat made an odd comment in that Chris Donoghue interview

"If I'm on a train, and there's someone sitting opposite me, I can guarantee you by the end of the train journey, I will know everything about them and they will possibly know nothing about me - It's just the way I'm built."

If you read that out in a Hannibal Lecter voice, it sounds very disturbing :eek:

Would that be with a nice Chianti and a BBQ'd RTE Managing Director, Skid??....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This is the last thing RTE need, they've been struggling with the same timeslot in 2fm since Gerry Ryan died. I believe Pat is an even bigger loss. Looks like Denis O'Brien's deep pockets have won out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

O'Gorman-type reports
    ... will be replaced with McKean-type reports ;)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    This is the last thing RTE need, they've been struggling with the same timeslot in 2fm since Gerry Ryan died. I believe Pat is an even bigger loss. Looks like Denis O'Brien's deep pockets have won out.

After listening to Noel Curran just now on The Last Word it sounds like RTE were going to cut PKs wages by another 10% so O'Briens pockets may not have had to be that deep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

howya pat. hows the talks with RTE going? ah well Dinny not great. Sure why dont ya come on over to my auld pad and I'll let ya have a few hundred grand for it? Grand so Dinny see ya in September. PS will ya tell Tommy boy that he has to scuttle off and make me tea as his new job.....

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

One ray of light with PK going,Myles Duncan.I wont have to listen to him when he stands in for him.Where is Newstalk on the aul transistor?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I like Pat Kenny and I like Myles Dungan when he fills in. I don't think they'd replace him, but I do like the option of 2 current affairs type shows against each other (provided they are podcasted).

Tom 'the most boring man on radio' Dunne is no loss to Newstalk to be honest.

George Hook is salivating at the mere thought of Pat Kenny coming onto his show shortly......

• Advertisement

George Hook is salivating at the mere thought of Pat Kenny coming onto his show shortly......

Jesus heard it. No need to be hearing that at five in the evening.

Pat on George right now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Surely a topic that had 4 pages of posts deserved it's own thread, and didn't need to be merged into Newstalk megathread???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Pat on George right now

the randy oul goat :eek:

Load of Air Kissing there........Wonder how long It'll last??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Didn't recognise the voice there for a bit .

Matt cooper covering it now on today fm .

Say what ya want but its the coup of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

dulpit wrote: »
    Surely a topic that had 4 pages of posts deserved it's own thread, and didn't need to be merged into Newstalk megathread???

I agree, a poor decision and a poorly executed one too since all the thanks have disappeared.

Em........did I go on a little trip there for a while??....:):):)

Maybe its all a "Dallas" Dream and Pat didn't do "A Kenny" to Newstalk??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Armelodie wrote: »
    What's going to happen tom dunne? He's not bad but was getting a bit light entertainment fluff..

The silence is deafening. They should really let him know if they have a place for him in the schedule (at Newstalk or somewhere else in the Communicorp empire) post PK.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    The silence is deafening. They should really let him know if they have a place for him in the schedule (at Newstalk or somewhere else in the Communicorp empire) post PK.

Well he has his Sunday night show: he's not gonna be on the breadline...

Advertisement