Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Electric Car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TheBikeGuy wrote: »
    1. Lithium is an extremely rare metal,
    Some TV program about the forming of continents was on the other day saying how Boliva have held off letting corporations come in to mine, fearing they will take advantage. Presenter was saying how they could be the new saudi arabia.

I am surprised electric bicycles have not taken off more for rush hour commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

rubadub wrote: »
    I am surprised electric bicycles have not taken off more for rush hour commuters.

Well people who already cycle will cycle proper bikes and people who don't will continue to hold the negative image that the state and meadia do their best to portray. (ie cycling is slow, wet and dangerous)

I did my thesis on a lot of this subject area and i have no hesitation in saying the electric car, while being powered by lithium batteries has absolutely no chance of replacing fuel powered vehicles.

You think that battery cars have no chance of replacing fuel powered cars ?

Would you like to bet on that ? say 100,000 Euro's that within the next 10 years that battery cars will not sell as well or possibly over take the sale of ICE cars ? 100,000 Euro's ?

Electric bicycles have overtaken car sales in the E.U which is substantial because we have a much larger population than the U.S and Canada combined.

This is one example of battery vehicles coming of age. Not comparable to cars ? maybe not but it shows that there are interests in alternative modes of transport.

1. Lithium is an extremely rare metal, there isn't enough on this planet to power even a minority of the amount of vehicles used worldwide. 20,000 Tonnes of lithium are refined every year, compare that to 1.4 million tonnes of Nickel.

You're joking, right ? there are vast reserves of lithium that haven't even begun to make full production. Refined amount does in no way reflect the available reserves.
    2. Most of worldwide lithium production is already required for the electronics industry. This makes lithium extremely expensive. A huge increase in demand with no additional supply available is going to push prices through the roof. Electric cars are already struggling to produce cheap batteries, if they became mainstream (their is 1 billion vehicles worldwide) the price could easily be $50,000 - $100,000 per car just on the lithium batteries

Maybe it is but the major auto makers are starting to buy lithium mines and Toyota has already acquired one, and I guarantee Toyota, the worlds largest car maker wouldn't do it if they didn't believe Lithium would power cars for the future.
    3. Lithium degrades over time, meaning the battery can hold less charge, and range decreases over time

Yes , but it'f far more complicated than that.

Sacrifices have to be made to for safety reasons.
    4. Charging times are ridiculous for an average individual, fast charging isn't a solution because it severely damages the batteries with regular use

Some batteries can charge in 5 mins to 80% but again safety is the primary focus, and the facelift Nissan Leaf can charge from a home 32 amp supply in 3 hours form 0%, so for most people this will be 2-3 hours charging. Most cars sit far longer when not in use. So I don't see the problem plugging in ? Maybe people are too lazy ?

fast charging a Leaf can take 30 mins to 80% from 0, so most fast charging will be 5-20 mins depending on what you need to get home, the Renault Zoe can fast charge in the same time but it makes better use of all the public chargers, the non fast chargers will charge Zoe in 1 hour from all ESB public chargers, so plenty of time for a bit of lunch as again it will take less than an hour to bring to 100%. Zoe has a built in 44 kw charger only needing 3 phase power.

Your home electricity supply can not charge Zoe that fast so that's a limitation of infrastructure and not the car. A note to new home builders to get a 3 phase supply.
    5. Lithium has a low energy to weight ratio, making large range capabilities impossible to achieve in a passenger vehicle.

Is that right ? so what about the Tesla model S with it's 300-350 miles range ?

Lithium air is the next step and has theoretical densities of gasoline, however most would except 3 times the range of a Leaf. i.e 240 miles.

The greatest thing needed for electric cars is faster charging and longer lasting batteries. If you can charge to 80%in 5 mins or less why do you need a very big heavy expensive battery if most of your driving is 80 miles a day or less ?

A Boards.ie member (natural blue) soes significant weekly mileage by driving his Leaf to the City West Luas and the car is charged for his return trip giving potential real life range of 140 miles, and that's not using fast charging which is not recommended for the Leaf daily.
    6. Lithium batteries are explosive when a cell is punctured, I wouldn't be too comfortable driving one

nails have been shot into the Leaf's battery and pretty much most batteries of automotive quality, and guess what ? yes nothing happened, the Leaf, Zoe Tesla have all undergone the same tests as any other car, so that is mis informing the public as to their safety.

http://www.evworld.com/library/lithium_shortage.pdf

Electric vehicles will never be a success with these batteries, no conspiracy about it.

That link is dead ? so that's gospel then is it ? I guess he can tell the future ?
    There are alternatives out their which are viable, although not without some problems, so theirs no danger that the car will become a piece of history once oil prices sky rocket

Let me guess , hydrogen ?

Hydrogen is probably less likely than batteries to be successful because of the expensive of the materials to make fuel cells, and the huge amount of energy needed to make hydrogen, it can be done but we need lots of Nuclear power for this kind of economy. But the energy is much more efficiently put into charging batteries.

Charging ev's can make current power generation much more efficient by charging at night, because the power stations have to be kept burning to be ready for demand wasting huge amounts of energy.

E.V's can also store some of the excess wind energy at night when they have to be turned off sometimes because the fossil fuel stations have to be kept burning because you can't just turn off a power station and expect it to be fully operational at the flick of a switch.

I'm truly shocked you did a thesis on this subject! :eek:

the in-efficiency inherent to batteries and charging time is killing the electric car, not some conspiracy.
    when batteries or capacitors become cheaper and viable then it'll take off, not until then though

E.V's are more efficient than ice cars even counting charging losses.

They can make use of the energy wasted by power stations that have to be kept burning fuel to be ready for instant demand, as a result wind energy has to be taken from the grid and ev's can use some of that energy.

But I agree with you on the expense part, only time will cure that.

Charge time is part of the issue, most cars sit at home doing nothing in time for 2 charges or more.

The facelift leaf can charge in 3 hours from a home 32 amp supply, or less considering you'll never arrive home at 0%.

The first gen leaf took 6 hours and less.

The renault Zoe can charge in 1 hour from a 3 phase supply so we're already at the point where your house supply is the limitation, and it didn't take 10 years to get that far did it ?

Fast charging takes 30 mins from 0% so most fast charging will be 5-20 mins depending on what you need to get home.

Tesla's super chargers can replace 300 miles in 1 hour.

Zoe can charge in less than 1 hour from every ESB public non fast charger, plenty of time for lunch.

Electric cars are good enough for the majority of people, however it will take time to adapt, when people know friends, relatives etc that have them and know they work for them then others will buy them.

They won't work for some, of course.

Time to charge car 6-10 hours
    Time to fill with petrol 2 mins

Are you having a laugh or just talking for the sake of running e.v's down and misinforming people ?

The Leaf facelift model can charge in 3 hours, 3 for the first gen and that's from 0%, so your car never sits at home for more than 3 hours ?

The zoe is limited by house wiring, so house supply is the limiting factor now and not the car, it will charge in under an hour, or 30 mins form a fast charger.
    Range of elec maybe 100-150km
    Range of petrol car 600km+

This is true, but a larg part of the population wouldn't use more than this a day, naturalblue who is on boards, covers significant weekly mileage by using the City West charger with the potential to cover 140 miles a day and that's not even using a fast charger. why would he need 600 kms range ? that would nearly be his weekly total mileage.

charge required every day, if not more often. Petrol once a week or less.

Not practical at all...

Not practical at all to plug in at home ?

Petrol once a week or less ? it's hardly too much effort to plug in a cable is it ? too complicated perhaps ?

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Tone it down, Bloodbath. Don't make personal comments.

But he's absolutely correct!!

Just because he did his thesis doesn't mean he's right ?

Clearly he hasn't done his research, it's a bit like journalism today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NIMAN wrote: »

THE UPDATED DOCUMENTARY;

Don't worry about the heading being in some foreign language; it's narrated in english.

P.S My friend was telling me a story of when he was driving his EV against a strong wind and he said the range dropped off massively!!!

You obviously listen to a lot of stories, seems that's what your Thesis was based on too.

The Tesla range is 250-350 miles range for the 85 kwh and that's been verified and available on public forums by actual owners, the Toyota Rav 4 EV 150 miles good average.

I haven't the time to reply to all the comments now, but I thought I'd comment on this before I've to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

shedweller wrote: »
    I remember when i was in NZ this news article came up once...once...that featured this lad that modified his car to include water, or more specifically, steam as part of the combustion process. The aim was more mpg and although i don't remember the exact increase, it was quite a bit. The news channel even had a short interview with him and showed us the engine with more than a bit extra pipework going on!

My point is that we heard of this lad and his invention once and once only. Rest assured that other similar ideas are shelved for future reference. Be they batteries etc.
    I wanted a electric car but I could not get a long enough lead,[joke] but it is interesting to note that the UK government has set up a charging power data base,-water based engines [not steam]was invented over 20 years ago by a Manchester engineer,he said he would not sell out to a oil companys ,the problem he had was that then he could not get investment to develop his engine.another UK engineer has won funding to continue building his cars that are running on just air, the prototype is already on the road.

Electric vehicles will never be a success with these batteries, no conspiracy about it.
    As shown in the doc "Who Killed the Electric Car", GM bought got the company who made better batteries to stop making them. The conspiracy is that the businesses who get kick backs from the oil companies will try to ensure that the oil companies stay in business.

I'd wonder where'd we'd be if the electric car had taken off in 1910?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder where'd we'd be if the electric car had taken off in 1910?
    This is the thing. People tend to forget that the reason IC engines work as well as they do is because they've had the guts of 100 years of massive funding to make themselves better at what they do.

The first model T, considered the first affordable consumer vehicle (EVs are only beginning to enter the affordable level now) had a top speed of 80km/h for a range of around 200km.

So judging them for poor range is not judging on level terms. The difference is that the technology underpinning EVs is making up ground much faster. Within ten years mid-range EVs will easily do 500km on a single charge and fast charge in less than 5 minutes.

I don't think "conspiracy" really covers the current attitude towards EVs, because nobody's making a secret of it. Car manufacturers are facing massive resistance to EV plans from oil companies. Tesla for example, is fighting the law in a number of US states for the right to sell their vehicles without a dealer. Dealers are refusing to stock Tesla due to pressure from other manufacturers, and Tesla are legally prohibited from just selling direct because the dealers have a cartel.
    The media outwardly lie and falsify information to make electric cars appear bad. The most famous being the Top Gear test where they ran the batteries down, drove around in circles and avoided driving to a nearby charge station just so they could get a shot of the vehicle dying and claim the range was too small.

So I don't see any reason to believe there's a "conspiracy theory" in relation to EVs at all. There's an unashamed and public anti-EV agenda, which has been sold for quite a long time.

seamus wrote: »

Tesla for example, is fighting the law in a number of US states for the right to sell their vehicles without a dealer. Dealers are refusing to stock Tesla due to pressure from other manufacturers, and Tesla are legally prohibited from just selling direct because the dealers have a cartel.

One of the reasons Tesla can't sell direct to the consumer is because there must be a warranty system, if not for the dealer who would you bring the car back to ?

So it's not unreasonable to expect this as being law.

Unless Tesla opens a nationwide service network I can't expect that law to change.

Would you import a 80,000 Car with no dealer network or anywhere you can take the car for repair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

tesla want to open their own show rooms and dealerships, cutting out the middleman
    this is where the law stymies them, at the moment a manufacturer is not allowed to sell directly to the public, they must go through a third party dealer who gets to put a markup on the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The car has to come from somewhere, it can go back there. If Tesla deliver the vehicle, surely they can pick it up again if there's a warranty or service issue? I don't see the need for a bricks and mortar building.

If you buy a luxury vehicle in Ireland they will not only pick it up when it needs servicing, they will leave you a courtesy car.

Looks like some of us are getting chastised by the mods for being naughty ;)

I didn't intend to offend TheBikeGuy, and I'm sorry if you were offended, but I think you need to do a lot more research. I think someone who comes out of college with a degree/masters etc should have all the facts and should be at least open minded. we need people with degrees/masters because this technology will progress and improve it is the future and we are witnessing it's birth. In 30 years we'll be able to tell the young ones that yeah there was such thing as an electric car that would do 75 miles, but you know what ? we had to start somewhere and it was good enough, not perfect but good enough for a lot of people.

An E.V has a lot of potential for many people, and sure enough the Germans won't like the Leaf at 140 kph on the Autobahn wouldn't be too good for range. But for many people on a small island like ours they are suitable for a lot of people who don't need more than 140 odd miles a day range. Even for the Germans a lot of them won't drive more than 140 odd miles a day either and

There are many who can commute to the Luas stops, Naturalblue being one example of a high mileage EV driver, but we need work place chargers for those who need to use them such as high mileage commuters and apartment owners who can't install chargers or people who park on street, but we need the Government to address this issue and it isn't even on their minds at all.

Electric cars are not perfect nor is an ice ae ice car can go for many miles, it needs a lot more maintenance, that can work out quiet expensive over the life of the car.

It's unknown yet how long the battery will last in the Leaf before it's unusable, but the thing is every manufacturer will use a different chemistry in their battery and so if the Leaf lasts 150,000 miles doesn't mean the Zoe won't last 300,000 miles etc etc.

There are a few things you can do to prolong the life of the battery such as in the case of the leaf only using the charge to 80% function and not discharging below 30%, don't keep it at 100% for more than a few hours. Never leave the car fully charged on a hot day, never leave the car fully charged for days or fully discharged for days.

Don't fast charge every day, not full fast charges while on a road trip is ok, you need it use it. You need all the range ? use it.

That seems like a lot of effort to many ? but given time it would be 2nd nature, the leaf does a good enough job to protect the battery but the simple fact is the more of your battery you use the shorter it's life, using the middle part will greatly extend it's cycle life.

If Nissan said that they would exchange the battery at 70% capacity and buy your used pack that would be terrific but it won't happen the best you will get is 70% repaired pack maybe more but the guarantee is 70%.

Only time will tell as to how long the battery will actually last.

heat is the biggest problem and fortunately Ireland's climate is very kind to batteries.

If there is a change to the tax system again or some mandate that all cars must be xxx emissions by xxxx you'd be surprised how many people will change to electric if the system favours them over Diesel.

Currently there is no incentive for anyone that only pays 20-30 Euro's in petrol or diesel a week and less to change to an electric car as fuel is affordable and so can people afford to maintain their cars, some people anyway. And a lot if not all these people do not care in the slightest what gets them from A to B as long as it gets them there and they can afford it, and they have no interest in electric because what they got now does them fine. So you see it's not just the technology isn't good enough there are more factors involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the Tesla S shows that electric cars are now viable even on current battery technology.

I think the future is electric, they are superior cars in every way except fuel tank capacity. Current batteries won't cut it and that's the end of the story when it comes to what's stopping us all from buying electric cars.

I've been following the Tesla reviews online and the travel range on the top of the range car would be plenty for Ireland, if we had the fast charging stations I could drive to Dublin, have lunch and drive back to Galway without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

if we had the fast charging stations I could drive to Dublin, have lunch and drive back to Galway without a problem.

-edit- Sorry I got the distance wrong. You may well need to charge depending on conditions. If you could charge while parked in Dublin though it wouldn't be a problem.

You wouldn't need to with a 300m/480km range battery. Even with reduced range with CC on, increased motorway speeds and low temps it would still be enough. Assuming a max round trip of 300km which gives plenty of room for city travelling and traffic conditions. Obviously that's the high end model and it's not cheap.

The multiple near future developments in Lithium battery tech will bring those ranges to the affordable mainstream market though. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 years for at least 1 of those developments to hit the market offering 10 times the capacity of current Li-Ion batteries. The energy density is going to far exceed fossil fuels.

The revolution is happening right now. EV's in every driveway is coming in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've always loved the electric car idea and I've just spent hours watching the 2 documentrys , and I'm glad some people hate them and some see them as the way forward . I for one want to be a part in making them become the future.

The thought that my children will be driving petrol and diesel cars scares me as that will mean 14 years from now were not making any progress.

The boss of Nissan said it better than me, he said the car isn't for everybody . He's right. But hopefully it's the stepping stone.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You wouldn't need to with a 300m/480km range battery. Even with reduced range with CC on, increased motorway speeds and low temps it would still be enough. Assuming a max round trip of 300km which gives plenty of room for city travelling and traffic conditions. Obviously that's the high end model and it's not cheap.
    Maybe not here, or in europe, but in the states, it will. And it's in the states that they make or break.
    The multiple near future developments in Lithium battery tech will bring those ranges to the affordable mainstream market though. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 years for at least 1 of those developments to hit the market offering 10 times the capacity of current Li-Ion batteries. The energy density is going to far exceed fossil fuels.
    Pretty sure such a battery already exists, but is owned by GM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

pitty its the burning of fossil fuels that generates the leccy for these charge points

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    pitty its the burning of fossil fuels that generates the leccy for these charge points

More and more renewables are being added to the mix.

When power stations have to be kept burning to be ready to meet sudden demand it wastes a lot of fuel and so ev's charging at night greatly enhances efficiency much more than power stations burning fuel for nothing.

Ev's are also a lot more efficient even considering transmission losses in the electric network.

In the future electric cars will be used to store wind electricity, and no you won't be left with a dead battery, they will make use of the power that would otherwise be turned off when demand is low or when there is excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Time to charge car 6-10 hours
    Time to fill with petrol 2 mins

Range of elec maybe 100-150km
    Range of petrol car 600km+

charge required every day, if not more often. Petrol once a week or less.

Not practical at all...

You can reduce that range further with air conditioning on in the car

-edit- Sorry I got the distance wrong. You may well need to charge depending on conditions. If you could charge while parked in Dublin though it wouldn't be a problem.

The revolution is happening right now. EV's in every driveway is coming in the near future.

Don't know about that .
    With technology advancing so quick on petrol engines there could be a move away from diesels once again back to petrol.
    Stiff competition for the EV.

me bolly wrote: »
    Don't know about that .
    With technology advancing so quick on petrol engines there could be a move away from diesels once again back to petrol.
    Stiff competition for the EV.

You already can by converting to LPG and @80 C and 30 mpg consumption would work out around 55 odd mpg diesel.

Convert a Prius and it would be more like 85-90 mpg.

You already can by converting to LPG and @80 C and 30 mpg consumption would work out around 55 odd mpg diesel.

Convert a Prius and it would be more like 85-90 mpg.

LPG is past tense.Never totally viable otherwise LPG would have been incorporated into engines a long time ago.
    The modern petrol engines will eventually match diesel fuel efficiency which will see a move back from diesel.

me bolly wrote: »
    LPG is past tense.Never totally viable otherwise LPG would have been incorporated into engines a long time ago.
    The modern petrol engines will eventually match diesel fuel efficiency which will see a move back from diesel.

LPG is pretty viable and getting a lot of attention the last 2 years or so.

It's certainly viable for those who don't want to spend the extra cash on a high mileage rough diesel with the potential for problems related to modern diesels.

The Prius is a good match for any diesel and even better in a lot of cases, as a prius owner I can certainly say you will at worst get 54 mpg or if you use the hybrid system properly like me than you'll get 60-64 mpg.

As my girlfriend drives the prius now for around 54 miles rount trip on the motorway at 12-140 kph mostly 130 ish, she is averaging 54 mpg without even thinking about economy and she couldn't care less about trying to figure out any form of hybrid style driving.

So at 54 mpg converted to lpg would make for a much cheaper than diesel car to run.

The next cheapest would be the Prius MK III then the Prius plug in and of course nothing comes close to full electric.

Diesel is yesterday afaik and there is no going back. I'd rather convert the CRV 2.0L petrol to LPG than go back to diesel.

you forgot about biodiesel, the ability to make your own fuel at home goods a certain appeal to many, even if you are buying it its still cheaper than regular diesel and better for your engine* and the? environment.

*engine must be biodiesel capable with viton seals rather than rubber, most modern cars are safe enough

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    you forgot about biodiesel, the ability to make your own fuel at home goods a certain appeal to many, even if you are buying it its still cheaper than regular diesel and better for your engine* and the? environment.

*engine must be biodiesel capable with viton seals rather than rubber, most modern cars are safe enough

If you have the ability to make it then fine, but most modern diesels afaik are not capable of taking it.

If I remember correctly the B6 Audi A4 was capable of 100% bio diesel, but don't quote me on that , it certainly was capable of a high % the most I ever saw. Provided of course the bio diesel met the standards which I forget but it's in the manual.

I don't know of anyone selling it, the only place I ever saw was a garage in Portlaoise but I think that doesn't sell it any more.

almost every engine built before 2007 is compatible most of the VAG diesel engines are biodiesel ready, along with mercs and the newer ford econoline motors, after 2007 there was a change in

US regulations to finally deal with the excessive amount of sulpher they put in diesel, so some engines have issues with 100% biodiesel, bit if you blend it with regular diesel you can still run an engine on it.

bigger machines with cummins or perkins diesels can be run on vegetable oil.

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly my Brothers A4,A5 and now A6 do not approve more than 10% bio ? I must read the manual again.

I think the problem was mainly down to the quality of fuel and there were a lot of problems with it.

Here is a site that gives useful info.

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/approvals.htm

Seemingly rapeseed is best. Isn't that what they call PPO or pure plant oil ? I remember the government taxing it and it died over night.

Maybe there is movement in the bio industry now ?

But you got me thinking as I forgot all about bio diesel/ PPO etc.

However I don't really believe is wasting thousands of acres to make biofuel as the land would be better off feeding people or resting rather than chemicals being dumped on the land. I don't really believe Bio Fuels are very green though I am open minded on all sources of fuel.

I think LPG has huge potential.

I think Electric has too.

One can buy an electric car and install solar panels/wind turbine and seriously reduce their emissions and solar being dirt cheap these days compared to wind it does have potential even in Ireland, our long summer hours can make up for loss in winter and maybe more.

Longer payback with solar pv and wind compared to buying LPG at 80C in a converted Prius for example but you can use them for transport, heating and also general household use and export any excess.

Advertisement