Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

Playboy wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll probably see you in the Bedford at some point then! :)

I'm moving in just off Bedford Hill.
    Seems like a lovely area.
    What's the Bedford like. Looks a wee bit rough on Friday afternoon I thouhgt :o

Suppose most places do if you judge it by day time drinkers. :p

But we'll meet for a pint seriously if you get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Zippy1991 wrote: »
    I'm moving in just off Bedford Hill.
    Seems like a lovely area.
    What's the Bedford like. Looks a wee bit rough on Friday afternoon I thouhgt :o

Suppose most places do if you judge it by day time drinkers. :p

But we'll meet for a pint seriously if you get the chance

It's really nice.. Been in the area for years. Bedford is a great pub... Not rough at all! Let me know when settled and we can grab a pint :-)

It's really nice.. Been in the area for years. Bedford is a great pub... Not rough at all! Let me know when settled and we can grab a pint :-)

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm moving from Balham to Archway this weekend, the Bedford is one of the things i will miss most about the area!

I'm moving from Balham to Archway this weekend, the Bedford is one of the things i will miss most about the area!

How come you are leaving our great area!?

• Advertisement

How come you are leaving our great area!?

Moving in with herself, she was born in Archway and has family around there so wanted to stay in the area. Most of my friends are in North London anyway so I was happy enough to move. Been in Balham almost three years, it's been great but it's a good time for a change of scene i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm just off Bedford Hill too.

The Bedford is a quality venue but I'm a fan of the Balham Bowls Club too I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanp86

Hey Zippy/ Playboy I'm living between balham and Clapham often venture to the Bedford great spot! Always looking to meet new people so let me know when you are going for pints and we can welcome you to the area!

Wow looks like there is a few of us then. We must organise some Balham beers. There is another thread re private cinema hire where I was trying to get enough people to rent out the exhibit for a couple of hours and then some beers in Balham afterwards. If its something you may be interested in then check the thread out although we may have to adjust the dates now.

Sounds good. As I said I'll be moving in about 16th of this month.
    Anytime after that should be cool with me.
    I'd heard about the Balham Bowls club. A guy at work said it doesn't look much from the outside but it's nice inside and the Sunday lunch is unreal.
    Definitely checking that out.
    Any other good spots around there? I noticed the Devonshire (sp?) and the Avalon too? Just walked passed these places.

I see there's a Wetherspoons next to the tube station. Is that simply "no go" ??

• Advertisement

I see there's a Wetherspoons next to the tube station. Is that simply "no go" ??

Absolutely a no go :D looks like the most depressing place on earth when you walk past at ten am and the place is three quarters full.

The Devonshire I was only in once, it seems nice enough. The avalon is a bit "gastropub" for my liking but is ok and the food is good in fairness.

Other than the Bedford I would have said the Clarence was my favourite pub in the area, nice atmosphere in there and lots of good and interesting beers on tap. The Blythe Spirit i used to go to for matches and it's good for that, never got the impression it would be much of a spot other than for a match though. I had a colleague who recommended the Prince Regent (i think it was called) but can't say I ever frequented it.

Edit to say i was only in the BBC once too and it is a great spot and something a bit different, the layout of it anyway. Definitely regret not heading there a bit more.

Absolutely a no go :D looks like the most depressing place on earth when you walk past at ten am and the place is three quarters full.

The Devonshire I was only in once, it seems nice enough. The avalon is a bit "gastropub" for my liking but is ok and the food is good in fairness.

Other than the Bedford I would have said the Clarence was my favourite pub in the area, nice atmosphere in there and lots of good and interesting beers on tap. The Blythe Spirit i used to go to for matches and it's good for that, never got the impression it would be much of a spot other than for a match though. I had a colleague who recommended the Prince Regent (i think it was called) but can't say I ever frequented it.

Great stuff. I'll have no other option than to try them all :D

Great stuff. I'll have no other option than to try them all :D

It would be rude not to :)

Yeah, the Regent is nice enough. And the Blythe Spirit is my local for watching a game too (hasn't it changed names recently?).

Plenty of options and plenty of stuff happening in these pubs from table quizzes to movie nights to musical bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 H_J

hi folks,

i'm living in balham currently with a couple of randomers. looking for a new gaff now, though haven't found anywhere decent yet.
    Always up for a few scoops around the balham/clapham area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I'm in archway. It's a grand area - and if you have herself there too, you're sorted! :)

How so Joe wrote: »
    I'm in archway. It's a grand area - and if you have herself there too, you're sorted! :)

Yep I really like the area, i had spent a good bit of time there prior to moving up so it's nothing new or unexpected really. Archway's definitely got a lot going for it.

H_J wrote: »
    hi folks,

i'm living in balham currently with a couple of randomers. looking for a new gaff now, though haven't found anywhere decent yet.
    Always up for a few scoops around the balham/clapham area though.

Someone had a spare room in Balham if you look back to the previous page. Seems like plenty of us in Balham these days

Is there enough Balhamites to form a table quiz team? There's one nearly every night of the week in Balham at this stage.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there enough Balhamites to form a table quiz team? There's one nearly every night of the week in Balham at this stage.

I'd defo be up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 H_J

cheers,
    just got offered a room between clapham north & brixton so suits me perfectly. no more cramming on the northern line - wahoo!
    still up for balham beers though.

H_J wrote: »
    cheers,
    just got offered a room between clapham north & brixton so suits me perfectly. no more cramming on the northern line - wahoo!
    still up for balham beers though.

lucky you... victoria is much nicer! Especially if you are getting on at Brixton!

Moving to Balham next week now.
    Getting the keys Monday hope to move in Wednesday or Thursday!!

HOUSE PARTY!!!!!!

not really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I need more friends over here... All the people I know are friends but I know them from work. I want to spread my social wings ha

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Moving to Balham next week now.
    Getting the keys Monday hope to move in Wednesday or Thursday!!

HOUSE PARTY!!!!!!

not really

we'll have one anyway. postcode and house number please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skyplumber

HI

My name is Anton, I live in East London.

skyplumber wrote: »
    HI

My name is Anton, I live in East London.

And are you an alcoholic? The suspense is killing me! :)

Quick question guys,

Just got keys to my gaff. No Hoover, kettle, microwave. Is this standard for London?
    In Dublin you'd always get that kinda stuff! Gonna be a big shopping this weekend if not.

Might chance my arm with estate agent anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Quick question guys,

Just got keys to my gaff. No Hoover, kettle, microwave. Is this standard for London?
    In Dublin you'd always get that kinda stuff! Gonna be a big shopping this weekend if not.

Hoover and kettle's a bit weird, but no microwave sounds normal. Get yourself to your nearest Wilkinson's, they'll sort you out.

• Advertisement

Quick question guys,

nearly always a hoover... kettle sometimes, microwave rarely. Also there will only ever be a washing machine, never a washer/dryer.

Advertisement