Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2011, 09:24   #1
Billy Bunting

Why you should insist on RGI. when working with gas

But then again, why bother when unregistered cowboys get away with this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-house.html

An RGI registered gas installer can be located at

www.rgii.ie

Hero pensioner saved granddaughter from burning house after gas blast caused by cowboy plumber John Davies was covered in flames but saved his life by diving into the snow to put himself out

Plumber Peter Naylor escaped jail
By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 1:06 PM on 20th July 2011

Comments (12) Add to My Stories Share
A grandfather badly burned in a huge explosion caused by a cowboy plumber's botched handy work dived back into his burning bungalow to rescue his nine-year-old granddaughter.
Pensioner John Davies was almost killed following the gas blast which left him temporarily blinded with 21 per cent burns.
Remarkably despite writhing in flames which he put out by diving into snow, Mr Davies, 67, still managed to rescue Amelia from a bedroom in the £100,000 bungalow in Willenhall, West Midlands.

Pensioner John Davies was left temporarily blinded by the explosion and suffered 21 per cent burns
And the days following the terrifying ordeal in December last year Amelia, who was unharmed, touchingly offered to be her granddads 'eyes' after the former delivery driver was struggled to see following the explosion.
More...Runaway tractor crashes into car and careers through garden before smashing into family home
Nightclubber who glassed barmaid leaving her with 'horrific' injuries is jailed for seven-and-a-half years
When planking goes wrong: Woman smashes chin on cooker attempting to pose for photo

Plumber Peter Naylor escaped a jail sentence yesterday at Wolverhampton Crown Court. He was given a 10-month prison sentence, suspended for a year, and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work after admitting a health and safety breach.

The court heard Naylor had agreed a fee of £125 to fix a dripping tap and needed to remove a gas meter - which he was not qualified to do - to get to it.
But the 61-year-old's work flooded the kitchen and he left Mr Davies to dry it out while he went to fetch a part.
Plumber Peter Naylor, left, escaped a jail sentence yesterday at Wolverhampton Crown Court following the explosion where Mr Davies, right, was badly burned
The grandfather-of-two plugged in an electric heater in an effort to speed up the dry-out.
But a huge explosive took hold and ripped the house apart after gas had been left to seep out.
Today the couple spoke for the first time about how their lives have been turned upside down by the devastating accident.
Recalling the incident, a tearful Mr Davies said: 'I can remember looking at the heater and thinking it was melting. Then I heard a bang and what happened after that I just don't know.

'I remember going out the back and rolling in the snow. The flames were all on my arms and my clothes were stuck to me. The snow saved my life and I feel lucky to be alive.'

Mr Davies' and his wife Margaret, 65, told how they had lost all their possessions, including photographs and a cherished china tea set which once belonged to her mother
Mr Davies was left with 21 per cent burns to his face, neck and hands, but went back inside to rescue his nine-year old granddaughter Amelia.

She escaped unharmed but the bungalow had to be demolished following the drama. Mr Davies spent three weeks in the burns unit at Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
He had a skin graft to his left hand, which now has less grip. His face remains tender and he needs to stay in the shade on sunny holidays.
Mr Davies recalled how Amelia had carried a TV into his bedroom while he was recovering.
'She said 'I know you can't watch it but if you want to know anything, I will tell you. If you want I'll be your eyes.'

Mr Davies' wife Margaret, 65, told how the couple had lost all their possessions, including photographs and a cherished china tea set which once belonged to her mother.
The couple, who have a grown-up son and daughter, are now living in rented accommodation in Bilston, West Midlands, paid for by their insurers while a new bungalow is built on the same site.
Mr Davies, pictured with his wife Margaret, said he remembers rolling in the snow with flames on his arms
Mr Davies, who denied Naylor's claims that he had warned him he was unqualified, said he had hoped Naylor would have got a longer sentence.
Self-employed Naylor, who has now retired after a 30 year career, was uninsured.

Richard Quinn, defending, told Wolverhampton Crown Court: 'He's extremely remorseful and he's been having difficulty sleeping. The plight of Mr Davies is constantly on his mind. He completely and utterly accepts the blame.'

Judge Imaged Nawaz told Naylor: 'What you did was so, so reckless that you nearly caused the death of a number of people.'

Speaking after the sentence, Mr Davies added: 'I am very, very lucky to be alive and my granddaughter.'

His wife of 44-years, who was out shopping at the time of the explosion, said: 'Ever since it's happened, Amelia's been all about her Grandad.'

Destroyed: The bungalow had to be demolished following the explosion and is being rebuilt

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1SraKtXJj

Last edited by Joey the lips; 22-07-2011 at 20:17.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2011, 23:09   #2
JohnnieK

That's terrifying stuff Billy. If it happened over here though it wouldn't get half the coverage
22-07-2011, 00:28   #3
Stove Fan

Very bad stuff Very lucky to be alive!
26-07-2011, 08:49   #4
Billy Bunting

and more......

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Gas-b...ail/story.html
28-07-2011, 19:57   #5
Banned

new zealand -

PRESS RELEASE | 12 July 2011

Nelson gasfitter’s conduct found unacceptable
A Nelson gasfitter has been found guilty of professional shortcomings and unacceptable conduct.

The Board has found that Paul Gee breached the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Act when he carried out gasfitting work on a house in Malvern Avenue, Nelson.

Mr Gee incorrectly installed a gas water heater by not allowing sufficient clearance between it and an openable window. It was installed by Mr Gee too close to an openable window, which created a risk that products of combustion and carbon monoxide could have entered into the house.

The Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board decided the case against Mr Gee in relation to work carried out on six other properties in the Tasman Bay and Westport areas including the Milton Street takeaways shop in Nelson was not established.

The takeaways was the scene of an explosion in April 2009.The cause was found to be a gas leak, which developed at the rear of two gas fires.

The case against Mr Gee was not established at properties at Main Road, Havelock, Greenwood Street, Motueka, Pah Street at Motueka High School, Dommett Street, Westport and Powick Street, Westport.

For the charge Mr Gee was found guilty of, the tribunal said: “Mr Gee is not a mere plumber as he referred to himself, but an experienced gasfitter. For a practitioner of Mr Gee’s status, these applied professional shortcomings are seen as being very serious and his conduct unacceptable.”

In considering the charge, the Board noted Mr Gee’s lack of appreciation of process, objectives and accountability when signing gas certification certificates and certifying gas installations.

The Board also said there was a demonstrated lack of understanding about the reasons for maintaining adequate clearances between instantaneous gas water heating appliances and openable windows and the risk that carbon monoxide presents.

The Department of Labour laid a complaint with the PGDB about the Milton Street matter and the PGDB undertook its own investigation. As a consequence, a further six properties were also identified as potentially posing a risk to the health and safety of the public.

The Board deals with the competency of gasfitters and any disciplinary actions that arise from that. For compensation, any affected parties need to lodge a civil claim with the courts.

The Board will now arrange a meeting between the parties to decide on penalties, after which time Mr Gee will have the right of appeal.
Advertisement
30-07-2011, 16:50   #6
JohnnieK

I wish it was that tight over here
04-12-2011, 11:07   #7
gary71
"A Gasman"

Imagine if that happened here, go on RGII you can do it

A builder has been jailed after installing a gas boiler without being Gas Safe registered. Bradford Magistrates' Court heard that John Howe, trading as J Howe Plumbing & Construction, was paid  £28,000 to build a bungalow, Howe installed a gas boiler in the loft and gas hob in the kitchen and connected these to the mains supply, despite not being a registered engineer.
Howe pleaded guilty to five breaches of health and safety legislation and Gas Safety Regulations and was jailed for four months.

BR Greenwell Heating & Plumbing Services, of Llantrisant, Cardiff, has pleaded guilty to a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998. Partners Christopher Bates and Lewis John Rees were fined £5,000 in total and ordered to pay costs of £8,000.

A man who falsely claimed he was a registered gas engineer has been sent to prison for two years for endangering people's lives at two properties in Lancashire, including a baby boy.

A gas fitter has been fined for installing a boiler in a domestic property, despite not being Gas Safe registered. Anthony Goddard, of Whitchurch,Cardiff, was fined £600 and ordered to pay £2,700 in costs at Cardiff Magistrates Court in the case brought by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).
19-12-2011, 19:10   #8
anuprising

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-and-two...08094-Dec2011/

deaths in Sligo , very sad news
13-02-2012, 15:05   #9
sbkenn

Hmmm

RGI doesn't necessarilly mean SAFE !
A friend of mine had his parents killed when an RGI installer left something blocking the flue. The very first time they used the boiler, they died !
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2012, 19:32   #10
JohnnieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkenn View Post
RGI doesn't necessarilly mean SAFE !
A friend of mine had his parents killed when an RGI installer left something blocking the flue. The very first time they used the boiler, they died !
Jesus thats terrible news. My heart goes out to your friend and his family. When/where did this happen?
18-02-2012, 21:32   #11
anthonyos

rgi means nothing when you have sparks and brickies training as "gas installers" with the likes of Chevron
Thanks from:
18-02-2012, 22:42   #12
JohnnieK

A friend of mine is doing his GID at the moment in FAS and putting it mildly out of a class of 9 Him and two others are plumbers. And one of the plumbers doesn't even know how to solder .

I thought all this was supposed to have stopped.
18-02-2012, 22:57   #13
anthonyos

ye every tom dick and harry is rgi it is only a money racket but the industry needs regulation but rgi and the training organisations are only interested in money the gis gid exams are a farus
Thanks from:
19-02-2012, 00:05   #14
gary71
"A Gasman"

This industry is a joke and is overseen by jokers, from drive by inspections to weak direction in issues of gas safety, with the amount of unskilled RGIs that have flocked to this industry I feel it only a matter of time before a death occurs at the hands of these spoof gas fitters.
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2012, 14:30   #15
DGOBS
Hosted Moderator

HMod: RGI Tech
Its your (our) industry, and only people like yourselves can change it.

Join the committees, attend the meetings, comment and submit on the white papers, band together and apply for the tender when rgii is up for renewal, force the change, do no accept drive-by inspections report them to CER and on and on........

Newbies to the industry is a good thing, by the entry requirement drastically need to change, also the certification, how can a non-plumber hold a GID cert, there should be a separate technician cert or something to distinguish gas plumbers from someone say trained as an appliance technician with gas safety training.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion