But then again, why bother when unregistered cowboys get away with this.
An RGI registered gas installer can be located at
Hero pensioner saved granddaughter from burning house after gas blast caused by cowboy plumber John Davies was covered in flames but saved his life by diving into the snow to put himself out
Plumber Peter Naylor escaped jail
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:06 PM on 20th July 2011
Comments (12) Add to My Stories Share
A grandfather badly burned in a huge explosion caused by a cowboy plumber's botched handy work dived back into his burning bungalow to rescue his nine-year-old granddaughter.
Pensioner John Davies was almost killed following the gas blast which left him temporarily blinded with 21 per cent burns.
Remarkably despite writhing in flames which he put out by diving into snow, Mr Davies, 67, still managed to rescue Amelia from a bedroom in the £100,000 bungalow in Willenhall, West Midlands.
Pensioner John Davies was left temporarily blinded by the explosion and suffered 21 per cent burns
And the days following the terrifying ordeal in December last year Amelia, who was unharmed, touchingly offered to be her granddads 'eyes' after the former delivery driver was struggled to see following the explosion.
More...Runaway tractor crashes into car and careers through garden before smashing into family home
Nightclubber who glassed barmaid leaving her with 'horrific' injuries is jailed for seven-and-a-half years
When planking goes wrong: Woman smashes chin on cooker attempting to pose for photo
Plumber Peter Naylor escaped a jail sentence yesterday at Wolverhampton Crown Court. He was given a 10-month prison sentence, suspended for a year, and ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work after admitting a health and safety breach.
The court heard Naylor had agreed a fee of £125 to fix a dripping tap and needed to remove a gas meter - which he was not qualified to do - to get to it.
But the 61-year-old's work flooded the kitchen and he left Mr Davies to dry it out while he went to fetch a part.
Plumber Peter Naylor, left, escaped a jail sentence yesterday at Wolverhampton Crown Court following the explosion where Mr Davies, right, was badly burned
The grandfather-of-two plugged in an electric heater in an effort to speed up the dry-out.
But a huge explosive took hold and ripped the house apart after gas had been left to seep out.
Today the couple spoke for the first time about how their lives have been turned upside down by the devastating accident.
Recalling the incident, a tearful Mr Davies said: 'I can remember looking at the heater and thinking it was melting. Then I heard a bang and what happened after that I just don't know.
'I remember going out the back and rolling in the snow. The flames were all on my arms and my clothes were stuck to me. The snow saved my life and I feel lucky to be alive.'
Mr Davies' and his wife Margaret, 65, told how they had lost all their possessions, including photographs and a cherished china tea set which once belonged to her mother
Mr Davies was left with 21 per cent burns to his face, neck and hands, but went back inside to rescue his nine-year old granddaughter Amelia.
She escaped unharmed but the bungalow had to be demolished following the drama. Mr Davies spent three weeks in the burns unit at Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
He had a skin graft to his left hand, which now has less grip. His face remains tender and he needs to stay in the shade on sunny holidays.
Mr Davies recalled how Amelia had carried a TV into his bedroom while he was recovering.
'She said 'I know you can't watch it but if you want to know anything, I will tell you. If you want I'll be your eyes.'
Mr Davies' wife Margaret, 65, told how the couple had lost all their possessions, including photographs and a cherished china tea set which once belonged to her mother.
The couple, who have a grown-up son and daughter, are now living in rented accommodation in Bilston, West Midlands, paid for by their insurers while a new bungalow is built on the same site.
Mr Davies, pictured with his wife Margaret, said he remembers rolling in the snow with flames on his arms
Mr Davies, who denied Naylor's claims that he had warned him he was unqualified, said he had hoped Naylor would have got a longer sentence.
Self-employed Naylor, who has now retired after a 30 year career, was uninsured.
Richard Quinn, defending, told Wolverhampton Crown Court: 'He's extremely remorseful and he's been having difficulty sleeping. The plight of Mr Davies is constantly on his mind. He completely and utterly accepts the blame.'
Judge Imaged Nawaz told Naylor: 'What you did was so, so reckless that you nearly caused the death of a number of people.'
Speaking after the sentence, Mr Davies added: 'I am very, very lucky to be alive and my granddaughter.'
His wife of 44-years, who was out shopping at the time of the explosion, said: 'Ever since it's happened, Amelia's been all about her Grandad.'
Destroyed: The bungalow had to be demolished following the explosion and is being rebuilt
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1SraKtXJj