Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2011, 16:20   #16

Hi,

Anyone know what Uni. Of Glasgow is like?
I'm in 5th year but would like to go over there to do Sports Medicine and would like to know what the university is like and the surrounding area.

Thanks
Advertisement
19-11-2011, 21:50   #17
Pipee

Supposed to be a pretty good university. Not sure what sports medicine would be like there as its out of my field altogether. Area around the university is one of the nicest parts of Glasgow but can cost a bit more than other parts of the city because of that. Still though I think the cost of housing in Glasgow is cheap compared to living in one of many of the cities in Ireland.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Freudian slip

Last edited by Pipee; 20-11-2011 at 12:12.
19-11-2011, 22:47   #18

Thanks.
Heard good things about Stirling as well.
20-11-2011, 12:14   #19
Pipee

I don't know much about Stirling, was thinking of going there today actually but i think its getting a bit late now. I haven't heard about the quality of the university there.
20-11-2011, 21:14   #20

Thanks, Glasgow is the main one I'm aiming for anyway.
Advertisement
24-11-2011, 20:30   #21
DUBDUBDUB

1. Not a lot of green spaces
2. It's very wet - wetter than what I'm used to in Dublin
3. The accent is tough to get at first

I hope that's a help.[/QUOTE]

Erm, being Glaswegian living in Dublin let me point out

1. Glasgow has more green areas than any other city in Europe. Indeed , the city is "the dear green place" Glas being green in gaelic
2. Dublin is by no means a tropical paradise, weather is pretty much the same folks
3. Ever spoken to a traveller?? Ever been to Kerry? Not everyone speaks in the same unintelligible brogue. Besides, we usually understand you perfectly so one of us may be a bit thick eh?
(2) thanks from:
24-11-2011, 23:31   #22

Take issue with the post and not the poster DUBDUBDUB.

In other words, neither of you are thick. The post you're referring to doesn't warrant hostility.
Thanks from:
12-05-2012, 16:34   #23
Christinalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBDUBDUB View Post
1. Not a lot of green spaces
2. It's very wet - wetter than what I'm used to in Dublin
3. The accent is tough to get at first

I hope that's a help.
Erm, being Glaswegian living in Dublin let me point out

1. Glasgow has more green areas than any other city in Europe. Indeed , the city is "the dear green place" Glas being green in gaelic
2. Dublin is by no means a tropical paradise, weather is pretty much the same folks
3. Ever spoken to a traveller?? Ever been to Kerry? Not everyone speaks in the same unintelligible brogue. Besides, we usually understand you perfectly so one of us may be a bit thick eh?[/QUOTE]

looks like someones a bit defensive!! im sure the poster meant that he personally found the accent difficult to understand. Im sure you find some irish accents difficult to understand, just as some irish people find some scottish accents to understand.
And he never stated that Dublin was a "tropical paradise" geographically speaking glasgow is going to be colder and wetter than Dublin and most of Ireland thats just a fact!
And about the green areas that just could be to do with whatever part of Dublin you frequent or what ever part of glasgow the first poster frequents.
Its all a matter of personal opinion!
12-05-2012, 19:16   #24
SM01

I only saw DUBDUBDUB's response to my previous post just now however I stand firmly over the three comments that s/he took umbrage with. I've lived in Glasgow since, well see my posting dates and am presently living between Glasgow and Edinburgh so I think that makes me a decent authority on the city.

1. I live on Sauchiehall Street, 15 mins walk away from Cally university and the nearest green space I can find is Kelvingrove which is a lovely spot, (a park along the lines of Stephen's Green) but apart from that there's no green spaces of any worth nearby. I'm a student so I'm not in a position to get into a car and drive further afield.

2. The rain. Look, no matter what way you spin it Glasgow and the west coast is wetter than Dublin. Dublin is wet but Glasgow's that bit rainer. Go look at the met office rainfall figures and see for yourself.

3. The accent. I wasn't giving out about it I was talking about acclimatising to it. It's tricky at first, that doesn't make it an unplesant accent, just it's not easy to decipher at first if you're not used to it.

Finally, the vast bulk of my post was positive but you jumped on the defensive immediately. You could have done Glasgow a service and elaborated on the positives I spoke about but no, you decided a dig was the clever thing to do which is a bit of a shame.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-06-2012, 18:35   #25
Fluorescence
(~˘▾˘)~ ☕☕☕☕☕☕☕

Anyone here study in University of Glasgow? Opinions on the place? I'm hoping to transfer to their Computing Science course in 2013 (I'm probably far too late for 2012) so any thoughts about that course are also very welcome.
24-07-2012, 10:53   #26
Pipee

Hi Fluorescence,

I don't study there but it seems to have a good name in general. It is a gorgeous university and in a really nice part of the city. Can't say much about the course itself except I've met a few graduates and they all seem to be employed in the field.

EDIT: Shows that I've been working in an office for too long when I put forum posts in letter form, almost signed my name to it.
Thanks from:
18-06-2013, 21:53   #27
littlehedgehog

Packing in the job and heading for an MSc in Information Technology in Glasgow Uni, starting in September

This thread is pretty dead - anyone around?!
27-08-2013, 13:33   #28
walshbadger

First year studying in Glasgow 2013/2014

Leaving Cert done and dusted Moving to Glasgow in the next few weeks to study Physiotherapy.

Pretty nervous but excited about the whole thing to be honest. Just wondering was anyone else heading over? Or does anyone have any info of any sort about the place? What to do, gaa clubs,transport, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated lads
Thanks from:
29-08-2013, 09:08   #29

Moved to NI & GB Colleges
30-08-2013, 00:39   #30
Bubbles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow wow View Post
Moved to NI & GB Colleges
Hey! Have a look on th site The Student Room if you haven't done so already! It's a great one for the UK unis I'm from Tipperary, moving to Edinburgh to study psychology! Did the leaving cert last summer and one year college course in psychology last year! Can't wait to move over super excited!! where are you from??

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion