Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2009, 09:41   #61
fryup

i take it, it doesn't matter what make you get as long as it has a briggs & stratton engine you should be safe??
Advertisement
11-05-2009, 10:28   #62
P. Breathnach

When my old mower failed for the third time this year I decided that it was time for a replacement. In my research this thread was helpful, and I bookmarked the AM Rentals site in Newry that Famous45 gave here. I decided on the 36-inch cut Castelgarden that they has at €1890 and, as I live in the north-east, I expected that the delivery charge would not be too high.

I kept on with my research, trying to see if I could get as good a deal closer to home (trying to be a good neighbour by spending locally, and also in the hope of a more convenient place for service or repairs). I got a price of €1800 with free delivery here: http://www.monaghanhire.com/catalog/...pgrikb343e47i6 . The free delivery might not be available to everybody; I live in the area they cover as part of their normal business. The machine is on its way right now, and I expect to have the grass cut before the day is out.

[I now have an old but usually serviceable mower needing its drive belt re-seated available free to a deserving cause.]
12-05-2009, 09:21   #63

Ride on Tractor Mower

The burning smell is from belt, when you hit some the belt most likely burned in to the pulley... so you may have to replace the belt.... Black smoke indicates too much oil or even wrong grade of oil, best to drain out the oil and re-fill with SAE30 Lawmower oil most tractor mowers take 1.4l and replace oil filter when doing this... as far as i know Craftsman are imported from the usa direct and do not coming through a dealer network, (unlike Honda of John Deere) mean parts are not really availble here, and no dealer backup for service (this is why craftman mower are so cheap) also to the best of my knowledge they do no not carry a CE approved mark...
You could try you Husqvarna dealer as frame, deck and some other parts match... so els maybe best to take it back to where you got it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droileen View Post
Hi - I have an 18.5 HP CRAFTSMAN Lawn Mower for the past 3 years . I never had any problems with it until I bent a blade last week & got a "non expert" to put on new blades & service it - change the oil etc.

Problem is it is now pouring out thick black smoke & there is a burning smell when I go to engage the cutting blades.

Can anyone PLEASE HELP !!! or suggest anyone whom I can pay to come & look @ it.

Thanks.
12-05-2009, 09:36   #64

John Deere mowers from weldons

Good if your under 1/2 arce on flat ground the LR135 is good mower, if you have hill and more areas the LR175 is better for that scale of things tut tut has some shop soiled units are very good prices, i got a LR135 FOR €2,5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Hi,

Anyone got any experience with John Deere either LR135 or LR175?
Any prices on these?
Looking into buying one myself.

Thanks
Kenny

Last edited by The Sweeper; 20-05-2009 at 01:07.
12-05-2009, 16:15   #65
Geezer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
i take it, it doesn't matter what make you get as long as it has a briggs & stratton engine you should be safe??
Not necessarily. Engine ma be fine but the rest of the mower could be ****e.
I can only speak from my own experience and that is to buy a Castelgarden made mower regardless of the sticker on the bonnet.
Advertisement
14-05-2009, 12:43   #66
P. Breathnach

Just following up on my previous posting. I got my mower on Monday, and set it to work on some really long grass, areas of which had not been tackled this year because of my problems with the old mower. Going slowly and carefully, the machine was well able to handle it, so I give it a big thumbs up. The rear delivery is far better than the side delivery on my old machine. With side delivery, I would have spent a lot of time unblocking things, and I suffered no blockage at all with the Castelgarden.

I thank Geezer1000 in particular for guiding me the right way. Obviously I can't make informed comments on other makes, as I haven't experienced them. But now I don't need to check them out.

One small reservation: it seems to me that the Castelgarden is not well suited to slightly rough areas where I didn't mind using my old single-bladed Murray. Perhaps I am over-cautious.
15-05-2009, 11:10   #67
smokingman

Little update on mine too....

As above, I got a second hand Castlegarden, 15.5 B&S engine, 42" cutting deck and made in '97 for 800 euro a few weeks ago. It was in good shape with only the front headlights not wired up anymore (but who seriously mows at night!).

I actually don't have a lawn yet (it's being sowed on monday - 1/2 acre) but I tried it on my parents-in-laws' lawn last weekend and I was frankly amazed at the cut. The blades aren't new but sharp all the same - previous owner took pride in keeping it running well thank god - and the rear collection box was dead easy to empty (if not a bit heavy...it's a big one).

So to anyone looking for one, I'll recommend them too....especially the older ones
15-05-2009, 11:45   #68
Geezer1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingman View Post
Little update on mine too....

As above, I got a second hand Castlegarden, 15.5 B&S engine, 42" cutting deck and made in '97 for 800 euro a few weeks ago. It was in good shape with only the front headlights not wired up anymore (but who seriously mows at night!).

I actually don't have a lawn yet (it's being sowed on monday - 1/2 acre) but I tried it on my parents-in-laws' lawn last weekend and I was frankly amazed at the cut. The blades aren't new but sharp all the same - previous owner took pride in keeping it running well thank god - and the rear collection box was dead easy to empty (if not a bit heavy...it's a big one).

So to anyone looking for one, I'll recommend them too....especially the older ones
wEATHER FORECAST IS PRETTY BAD UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. iD LEAVE OFF SOWING THE LAWN TILL THEN.

Ahhhh feckin caps lock
18-05-2009, 20:45   #69
stackerman

Check out the Encore mowers. I bought one two summers ago and it abso fantastic email info@adquip.co.uk Very fast and has good Briggs & Stratton engine. Got shipped over no probs, very nice guy to deal with (no connection).
Advertisement
18-05-2009, 20:59   #70
E39MSport

I got a Simplicty Regent XL 18.5HP 40" mulching deck from Abbey garden sales in the UK for £1999.99 plus 200 delivery. I just saw one for 3300 here in Ireland. The thing is pretty amazing. I have a raised perculator bed which is about 2' high with 45 degree slopes and the tractor climbs it while cutting with ease. I'm very happy with it. Nice price too.
09-06-2009, 16:28   #71

Petrol Lawnmower

Can anyone advise me on buying a Petrol Mower? Ive been looking in B&Q, Woodies and Atlantic. I know Briggs and Stratten Engines are the best. Any advise or good/ bad experiences? I had a bad experience with a McCullough Honda Engine.
10-06-2009, 06:17   #72
fryup

firstly it depends on the size of your lawn,,,is it small, medium, large??

and i persume you're talking about a walk behind mower??

personally for an average size lawn (1/4 acre) i'd go for one with a 5-6 hp B&S engine, self drive with a decent size collection box.

Most makes have a B&S engine so you should be fairly safe there.
20-06-2009, 17:41   #73

One dry weekend
Two Castelgardens , two problems

The drive belt on my Castelgard id eon snapped today.
So I wont to use the push yoke, and that won't start, looks like a carb, problem.

The dealer is on holiday, the lawn will look like the serengeti beopfre he gets back.

I've had both machine for 4 years now and they are generally good and solid. I have 2 acres to cut , mostly with the ride on the push job is for the smaller hard to get to areas.

I've hired and borrowed a John Deere but wasn't that impressed with it, the models I had seemed to be set up for the US where the grass is dryer and they couldn't really handle Irish wet gras, the chute kept getting blocked up.

I has a Husqvarna too, WAY too over engineered, too many things to go wrong on it (which it did every second time I took it out) , boy was I glad to get a few hundred in a trade in.

One pint abopuit mukching if you cut the lawn with any damp on it at all it usually doesn't work very well. It needs to cut it very fine ( really small pieces) and you need warm wather for it to braek down quickly... go figure on the Irish climate as the Ameicans say.
21-06-2009, 17:44   #74
johndaman66

I would concur with fryup on the b&s engines.,..think they are fairly bullet proof. The body of my own collapsed recently with rust and I journeyed around a number of lawnmower sales and servicing outlets seeking a body. Was told by all of them that if its a b&s engine the body will sure as hell give up first. Mind you though I would have thought Honda engines would have being good if their cars and bikes are anything to go by but suppose the rule doesn't necessairly follow through.
21-06-2009, 21:26   #75
CJhaughey

B+S are good engines no doubt but Honda are IMO better. Look at all the gensets around the place they are all Honda hardly a B+S to be seen.
I have a B+S myself and it is a good reliable engine but not in the same league as a Honda for fuel consumption or smoothness.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion