Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What distance learning are you doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Diploma in Philosophy with University of London, if it goes well I plan to carry on to degree level. Going well so far, just did first 2 exams. I think philosophy lends itself very well to distance learning, lot of reading anyway, and University of London provide excellent study guides and book recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robwa

hi guys i am thinking of working my way to a bachelors degree in electrical engineering. It seems like a long time and money before you reach it. It looks like it would take approx 7 years and the guts of 7-8 grand starting from scratch with all the different courses. Is there an easier way to this or am i looking at it wrong?

I am looking at the open university course B24

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Just got the revision pack for MST121-using mathematics with Open University :D
    My friends think I'm nuts for being super excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

just starting the Bsc Economics and Management through University of London (LSE) - cant wait!!!!

TrixIrl wrote: »
    just starting the Bsc Economics and Management through University of London (LSE) - cant wait!!!!

Good luck TrixIrl - I find University of London brilliant - very helpful if you need to email or ask something too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

TrixIrl wrote: »

Keep us informed on your progress! I've always been thinking of that one.

I'm doing an online diploma in Irish editing and translation from NUIM. Loving it so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

I've just started a Masters in Brewing and Distillation with Heriot-Watt.

Yep, that's right - Beerology! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 doherta5

I'm doing a distance MSc. in Transport Planning and Engineering with Napier University in Edinburgh. Very little interaction between lecturers and students. Quite tough to know whether you're doing something right or wrong as a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Hi, Im after starting the distance learning Accounting Technician 2 yr course. 4 modules in first year, tough going - the law and ethics driving me bonkers - so boring!!:(

Love the Financial Accounting and Taxation part!!

Anyone else started this one??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LynHan

dory wrote: »

I'm doing an online diploma in Irish editing and translation from NUIM. Loving it so far. :)
    Hi Dory,
    I am interested in doing the online Irish translation course with NUIM, could you tell me what the entrance exam was like, and what sort of opportunities there are out there when you qualify. I have done a Grammar course with Gaelchultúr and am doing language classes there also to improve my Gaeilge, but its translation I'm interested in studying, hopefully this years course in September. Any advice would be more than helpful!! Slán go foill! L.

• Advertisement

Hi Dory,
    I am interested in doing the online Irish translation course with NUIM, could you tell me what the entrance exam was like, and what sort of opportunities there are out there when you qualify. I have done a Grammar course with Gaelchultúr and am doing language classes there also to improve my Gaeilge, but its translation I'm interested in studying, hopefully this years course in September. Any advice would be more than helpful!! Slán go foill! L. :)

Hey sorry I didn't read this thread again until now. The entrance test was hard. I have a first class honours degree in Irish, taught it for two years, and I still found it tough, and genuinely thought I might have failed. But I got in! The course is great, an exercise every week to do, feedback is good - but can take a while. As for opportunities I know the EU hire people every now and then for positions they have.

Hi Dory,
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm nowhere near as qualified as you, but I'll give the exam a go ( I have a Plan B if I don't get in!). What is the pass mark to get in to the course?:)

LynHan wrote: »
    Hi Dory,
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm nowhere near as qualified as you, but I'll give the exam a go ( I have a Plan B if I don't get in!). What is the pass mark to get in to the course?:)

I believe there are other masters courses in translation (full time) that are fully funded, you might even get a stipend for doing them. I'll do a search later and see if I can find anything.
    Can't remember what the pass mark was, but to prepare read lots of grammar book. Question every séimhiú and urú you see when reading Irish, you have to know why they are all there. Look over things like clásal coibhneasta díreach/indíreach.

I believe there are other masters courses in translation (full time) that are fully funded, you might even get a stipend for doing them. I'll do a search later and see if I can find anything.
    Can't remember what the pass mark was, but to prepare read lots of grammar book. Question every séimhiú and urú you see when reading Irish, you have to know why they are all there. Look over things like clásal coibhneasta díreach/indíreach.

Thanks for the info Dory, I'm doing a grammar course with Gaelchultúr at the moment, so I hope that will help!! If you think of any other tips you an give me for the exam, I'd really appreciate it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eeepc

I'm doing a Bsc (Hons) in Crime & Criminology with the Institute of Criminal Justice Studies at the University of Portsmouth You can leave early with a CerHE or a DipHE or an Ordinary Bsc if you want to. I've passed CertHE level already, haven't gotten to diploma level yet. It can be hard enough going if Criminology isn't your forte. The price is very good indeed, I haven't seen better value to be honest and it's not as though it's low quality or anything, not at all. The tuition costs are in the links above.

The ICJS have seminars and study schools and stuff like that but I've never been, attendence is optional. Initially I must have spent days if not weeks searching on the net for a degree course I could enroll on that wasn't outside my budget or had strict entry requirements - happy enough with it overall although motivating myself can be a bit of work sometimes (usually)

UOP also have other degree courses by distance

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

Hi All

I am thinking of applying for the MSc Econ and Postgraduate Diploma in Information and Library Studies at Aberystwyth University, starting in September. Is there anyone who is currently doing this course or have previously completed this course, if so could you give me some idea of what is involved. I have never tried a distance learning course before so I am worried about it and also as I do not work in a library or know nothing about it (only of course to find books I need) I am wondering if I will be able for it.

Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JackNapier

eeepc, I'm looking at University of Portsmouth at the moment as I'm interested in their BSc in Risk and Security Management, but the recent announcements by the U.K government re: tuition costs has caused me some concern. Do you know off-hand if you leave subsequent to obtaining your CerHE can you return and complete your degree in a year or so? Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

JackNapier wrote: »
    eeepc, I'm looking at University of Portsmouth at the moment as I'm interested in their BSc in Risk and Security Management, but the recent announcements by the U.K government re: tuition costs has caused me some concern. Do you know off-hand if you leave subsequent to obtaining your CerHE can you return and complete your degree in a year or so? Thanks in advance!

New tuition fees start Oct 2012, but there is no news on transition arrangements for those who have started before that date e.g. this year.

I would advise you to talk to Portsmouth re the issue of interrupted study. If you claim a CertHE (60 ECTs) there must be a way you can link that up to complete the degree at a later stage, but I'd assume the fees will probably be higher then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JackNapier

Thanks mimmi, appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

Sending my application next week for the MSc in Archives and Records Management through the University of Dundee.....eek, here's hoping I get accepted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lollypop92

I was thinking of doing a fetac level 6 photography course online through cmit.ie but I'm not sure yet! Are the online home study courses reliable? It's a lot of money to spend lol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MadelineX

Lollypop92 wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing a fetac level 6 photography course online through cmit.ie but I'm not sure yet! Are the online home study courses reliable? It's a lot of money to spend lol :(

Perhaps this would be an option.... I don't have any info re the content or reputation of the provider but it looks good value

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/cork/DigitalMasters/9576259?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_240&a=1221

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭CK1Champ

eeepc...reference the above course you are studying.How are you finding it?is it beneficial to study the course for Irish law?do you know if the degree is internationally accredited??or who the accreditation body is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just about to start the BA in Humanities program through Oscail @ DCU.

Looking forward to it, but a bit apprehensive about starting out back in education for the first time in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rockofrepublic

Hey all, Im doing the Ipass payroll course , Any one else doing this course??

Diploma in Philosophy with University of London, if it goes well I plan to carry on to degree level. Going well so far, just did first 2 exams. I think philosophy lends itself very well to distance learning, lot of reading anyway, and University of London provide excellent study guides and book recommendations.

Just thought Id give an update. Sat my last exams last week, and am hopeful I have achieved a good degree. UoL have changed things a lot in the time that Ive been studying there, when I started they had no electronic support or even a forum for students. Now they are a lot more digitally inclined. They have also changed the content of their Philosophy degree and cut down on a lot of the optional choices that used to be there as well as changing the nature of the modules and exams to bring things in line with euro-wide standardisation of academic credits etc..

Overall I would rate my experience as positive. I have also done a CertHE by distance with a different UK university in the last couple of years, in general I prefer an approach that mixes continuous assessment, which Uol doesnt - thats probably my only criticism. Pricewise they are still very competitive (especially considering OU has become so expensive).

Its given me the bug to go further so I hope to get a good result and get accepted for a Masters soon.

Just thought Id give an update.

And another one. Got a 1st in my degree and was accepted for a distance learning part time MA in Philosophy with University of Wales, Trinity Saint David.

I really felt a great sense of achievement when I got my results. All that hard work paid off. I encourage anyone thinking of doing distance learning to take the plunge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 volvic99

Thinking of doing the webinnovate course run by the Digital skills academy in dublin. Although originally misinformed that it would be held at location in Cork. They mixed it up with the Webactivate which now is not running due to lask of number sin CorK????? found that out today. It's initial start was april 27th.

Webinnovate online course from home, group hook ups over skype and trips to dublin.

Has anybody else received a place for the Webinnovate starts March 19th or the Webactivate course in Cork??? which is now been run in Dublin and Limerick??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Daniel77

Hi

I was just thinking about doing an online course for Sale & Marketing, which gives you a NFQ 6 when completed, But i just learnt the price, €15,000!! Is there a grant that can be availed off if on jobseekers does anyone know?

Advertisement