Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What has helped you stop smoking?
Nicotine Patches 119 14.20%
Nicotine Gum 33 3.94%
Hypnosis 39 4.65%
Cold Turkey 362 43.20%
Gradually Cutting down 41 4.89%
Accupuncture 5 0.60%
Meditative procedures 17 2.03%
Other (please detail) 161 19.21%
Alan Carr 216 25.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 838. You may not vote on this poll

06-09-2004, 11:42   #31
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivX
I stopped smoking last december after reading (actually while reading) the new Allen Carr's book, 'Easy way to stop smoking' this was the revision with two cd's, the aim of the cd's was to reinforce what he told you in the book, no hypnosis, no preaching, just puts a new perspective on why you smoke.

[...]

My recomendations if you wanted to stop would be either the book mentioned above or hypnosis is also supposed to be very effective, even better the Allen Carr day course mentioned above, i know it sounds expensive but with the price of cigs these days, it wouldn't be long before you save the cost of it.
You do realise that the Allen Carr seminar method involves hypnosis, right?

I remain wryly amused by Allen's assertion that it wasn't because of hypnosis that he quit smoking, especially when - in a later book (Packing It In) - he stated that he knew hypnosis would be an important part of his seminars...
Advertisement
06-09-2004, 13:40   #32
DivX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo
You do realise that the Allen Carr seminar method involves hypnosis, right?
In that post I was referring the book method of which I had first hand experience, can’t really say what methods Allen used during his seminar's.

The book didn’t put you in a trance or Hypnotic state (otherwise how could you read it?) but instead he used a method called NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which allows you to break bad habits and in this case smoking. So yes, hypnosis is probably a big part of the Seminar and NLP is the method employed in his books. (otherwise you have to get into scripts and such).

Perhaps a psychologist or hypnotist could better explain the difference between Hypnosis and NLP, but if either helps you in your objective, then thats good enough.

I pressure your referring to “Packing It in the Easy Way” by Allen Carr, haven’t read it, I understand this is his autobiography rather than a method book? Was it any good?
06-09-2004, 13:53   #33
Sleipnir

The difference in prices for hypnotism is a tricky one.
What's the difference? If you go to Desmond Riordan, do you have less of a chance of
staying off them?

Kevin Hendrik - €400
Allen Carr - €250
Dr. Desmond Riordan - €100
06-09-2004, 14:08   #34
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivX
The book didn’t put you in a trance or Hypnotic state (otherwise how could you read it?) but instead he used a method called NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which allows you to break bad habits and in this case smoking. So yes, hypnosis is probably a big part of the Seminar and NLP is the method employed in his books. (otherwise you have to get into scripts and such).

Perhaps a psychologist or hypnotist could better explain the difference between Hypnosis and NLP, but if either helps you in your objective, then thats good enough.
I must read the EasyWay book again, and look for the NLP patterns. I don't remember seeing too many before - and reading is not usually a particularly effective delivery mechanism for NLP techniques anyway.

The difference between hypnosis and NLP: hypnosis is generally understood to be an altered state of consciousness, leading to increased suggestibility of the subconscious mind. NLP is a set of techniques involving the use of subtle language patterns and physiology to influence someone. The use of NLP patterns in hypnosis is a really powerful combination.

As a matter of interest, where did you get the information that the book uses NLP? I wasn't aware that Allen had had any NLP training.
Quote:
I pressure your referring to “Packing It in the Easy Way” by Allen Carr, haven’t read it, I understand this is his autobiography rather than a method book? Was it any good?
It's an autobiography, yes. I found it to be like his other books - full of logical fallacies. I actually planned to write a refutation of a number of them, but didn't bother - for one, I don't have time, and besides, as you say: if it helps some people, what's the harm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleipnir
The difference in prices for hypnotism is a tricky one.
What's the difference? If you go to Desmond Riordan, do you have less of a chance of staying off them?
Unless Kevin has changed his approach recently, you get a backup service: if you start smoking again, you get to go back for another session. I thought Kevin had moved to England, haven't spoken to him in a while.

I don't know Desmond at all, so I can't comment on what he offers.
06-09-2004, 15:00   #35
Sleipnir

Well Kevin (as you call him!) works out of The Albany Clinic on Fitzwilliam St lower and has an office in Gorey.
There is the backup alright but if youo went to Dr. Riordan it might work on the 1st session and if it didn't work you could go back 3 times before the price would equal Dr. Hendrik's.
I really don't know.
Advertisement
06-09-2004, 15:54   #36
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes

Quote:
Well Kevin (as you call him!)
...only 'cos that's his name!
Quote:
works out of The Albany Clinic on Fitzwilliam St lower and has an office in Gorey.
There is the backup alright but if youo went to Dr. Riordan it might work on the 1st session and if it didn't work you could go back 3 times before the price would equal Dr. Hendrik's.
I really don't know.
What you need to ask yourself is this: if people didn't find his service worth the price, would he be in a position to continue charging it?
06-09-2004, 16:01   #37
Sleipnir

I know, I know. Still 400 hard-earned bucks though.

Plus they could only offer me a date 1 month in advance which sucks cos I'd have €400 spent on fags in the meantime! (well not quite but you get the idea)
06-09-2004, 23:42   #38
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo
...only 'cos that's his name! What you need to ask yourself is this: if people didn't find his service worth the price, would he be in a position to continue charging it?
I'll need to use that line when I hike up my charges ten fold to my various employers.
10-09-2004, 00:01   #39
gasha12000

does anyone know of a hypnotist in donegal

Advertisement
10-09-2004, 11:30   #40
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes

http://www.hypnosiseire.com/salmon/donegal.htm

I get Donegal customers fairly regularly. You can find out more through my profile.
10-09-2004, 11:36   #41
Banned

Have you looked in the 'Golden pages' under hypnotherapy or hypnotist's, or Highland Radio has a good database of info, you could give them a call on 074-91 25000.

Thats my best suggestion, it being Friday morning and all.

If you are trying to give up smoking. I stopped suddenly in November 1999, I put the pack of fag's on the mantlepiece [within reach] and glared at them for about a Month.

The compulsion to grab them would hit me without warning, but I would say to myself "To hell with that" my life has been ruled for far to long by a damned expensive weed. So I would resist picking up the pack for a 'few minutes' and lo and behold, the desire for a drag would vanish mysteriously within minutes.

After about a Month I told a friend who still smokes to take the pack of cigs and the lighter from my mantelpiece, which he did, and I have not purchased any since, even though I still get the damned craving for a 'nicotine blast'. So, up to now I have not smoked for almost five years. I find it hard to believe, but I still take it 'one day at a time' and sometimes it is 'one miserable frustrating second at a time. When the urge is at it's worst I swear like a trooper, but then it subside's and I become 'almost' normal again.

Good luck.
10-11-2004, 15:50   #42

Well im only on my second day of giving up smoking!Cold turkey....I know it doesnt compare to the rest of you who have managed to stay off them for months but i know reading your experiences has only made me more determined!.....here goes...
11-11-2004, 00:35   #43
ZENER

Send a message via Skype™ to ZENER
Well done and don't forget . . we all had a second day but happily the third day came along very soon and we forgot all about it

The best tip I can give you is to get out and walk or cycle or anything to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied. Sitting around wallowing in self pity will only help you fail. I joined a gym and lost some weight while doing my health a favour and giving me a reason to stay away from the weed.

I personally think that cold turkey is the best way to go. The effort and commitment you need goes to make you more determned to succeed and hence more likely to. I understand some people have other factors they need to consider and might find patches or gum help keep them sane for work etc. but there is a satisfaction element to doing it yourself and your willpower improves. As I said above find something to do quickly to occupy the time and keep your mind off of it.

For me the effort I've put into getting back into shape makes me more determined and gives me an extra reason not to smoke again.

Well done to you - we're here if you need encouragement don't be afraid to ask.

ZEN
14-11-2004, 10:14   #44
octo

i did Allen Carr five and a half years ago, quit effortlessly, but then got hooked agin this summer after smoking a joint. i'm struggling to quit again. the only problem with allen carr is, if it fails it won't work agin, because he tells you you can't fail. you have to believe in the system.

anyway, if you're quitting, stay off the joints!

Octo
14-11-2004, 10:28   #45
ZENER

Send a message via Skype™ to ZENER
To be honest I miss the odd joint myself, used to help me chill out a bit and was less damaging than the booze!

Good luck !

ZEN

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion