Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PB or not PB...that is the question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭Cartman78

21/01/2020

Intervals – 8 x 800m – Road – NP34

Had planned to go out yesterday but a working lunch put an end to that notion.

Dull day in Nenagh but no wind and dry so perfect for running. It seems like about 20 years since I did speedwork of any kind so was glad to get the legs moving again.

Ran most of these around 4:10 pace – decent workout

23/01/2020

10K – 44:14 – Road – NP34

Don't remember ever running in such heavy fog before but don't think it affected my performance too much.....no wind, cool and nobody else out of the footpath :pac:

Had planned to go the more rural 8K hilly route near the office but there's a few stretches that are hairy enough in good conditions so didn't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Anyway, went at this reasonably hard I guess relative to recent workouts - was glad to get under 45 mins fairly comfortably....still think I made the right call not pacing at that speed on Sunday though.

Me: *checks calendar* “It’s nearly the end of January and I haven’t been struck down with a potential season ending freak injury/illness…wooo-hooo”

January 2020: hold my beer…

Chronic sinusitis.

6 weeks of antibiotics.

1 x steroid nasal spray.

MRI on the way :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Still struggling badly with the sinusitis....over halfway through the antibiotic and still feeling like shyte tbh.

The MRI came back clear so it seems whatever I have is nothing too sinister thankfully.

Running not even remotely on the horizon right now :-(

29/03/2020

Intervals - 15 x 400m - Road - NP35

Bump! :D:D:D

Finally got back on the road today after recent hiatus.

The last few weeks haven't been great on any level tbh - still not 100% with the headaches/sinusitis issues. Was close to getting back to something approaching "normal" a few weeks back but picked up a seasonal virus (not THAT one thankfully) - felt like shyte for a week which set me back a bit.

Had a CT scan and went to see a consultant (just prior to the first stage of lockdown) - the diagnosis was a bit vague but seems to be some hellish blend of sinusitis related migraine. He put me on another dose of meds for an initial 6 week period, with a further 6 months to follow if they are successful. A couple of weeks into it now and starting to see light at the end of the tunnel...I think!

TLDR - I've basically been self-isolating since the end of January but starting to feel halfways normal kinda this week.

Anyway, hit the road near my house today and basically ran up and down it 15 times. The pace wasn't hectic but just glad to be out really.

Expecting a few aches and pains tomorrow but hopefully the comeback starts here

• Advertisement

Slowly getting back on my feet, went out for two leisurely paced 5k efforts on Wednesday and yesterday.

Was reasonably comfortable for both of them (@ 5 min per km) so will probably aim for something similar over the next few days before attempting either an increase in pace or distance.

The niggle I had back in January in left knee/ITB/quad popped up to say hello yesterday so will be continuing rolling and stretching this week

6k today in the wind and rain....didn't meet a single person out so all good on the social distancing side of things. I live on the edge of a small rural village so once I get out of my estate it's pretty quiet even in "normal" conditions.

Stuck religiously to a 5 min per km pace which is probably bang on par for me right now taking into account. Left knee still feels iffy, fingers crossed it's just a niggle

Another 6k today in pleasant spring wind and sunshine.

Felt lighter today and generally turning the corner health wise. This is the first of recent outings that has felt like a run rather than a jog/plod.

Not too bothered about times atm but today was 28:10 following 29:48 on Sunday.

The effort felt the same tbh so hopefully back to something approaching normal

Was out Thursday and this morning....happy to report that this comeback is already more successful than my last attempt a few weeks ago.

Still not 100%.....get mega fatigued from time to time and the headache flares up randomly as well which is annoying but generally trending upwards I think.

7k on Thursday and 8k today both ran comfortably at 4.50ish pace so happy days. Will keep at it every second day and gradually increase distance & pace

You have to laugh really.

Went out for a handy 6k yesterday evening....felt good and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the spring countryside which was drenched in glorious sunshine.

Came home and the young fellas were mad to play a game of football in the back garden. All was going well until I was on a foray deep inside the opponent's half. I swerved to avoid a 2 footed lunge from the 4 year old and went to slot the ball past the keeper. But alas my foot struck the concrete garden fence pillar rather than the ball resulting in me shouting in a painful heap and my young fellas rolling around laughing. I played on manfully and didn't think too much of it tbh. I noticed my small toe was a bit inflamed looking in the shower, and then this morning it was fairly swollen and badly bruised. I recognised that look (and the pain) as I'd broken the very same toe about 10 years ago.

Tldr: won't be running for a couple of weeks after breaking/fracturing small toe.

Fuppit anyways....was just getting back into it

• Advertisement

Back yet again :-)

The latest latest comeback starts here.

Still not sure if the toe (small toe on right foot) was broken or just badly bruised. Didn't rush back either way as there's no events I'm in a panic to get ready for.

Have kept up core work and weights and the odd bit of cycling so haven't gone completely out of shape.

Did 5K last night in 22:52 as part of a fundraiser for a charity at work so happy enough with that I guess.

No pain in the toe or anywhere else so looking forward to getting back to regular outings again.

29/04/20

7K - 34:02 - Road - NP34

02/05/20

7.25K - 33:54 - Road - NP35

A couple of more satisfactory runs....would ideally have gone out on Friday evening but was fairly knackered after the week tbh.

Yesterday’s run was meant to be a 10K loop (the new restrictions have opened this route up) but I felt I was running out of gas a bit so took the shortcut at 4K.

No pain in the toe so far and all ok besides

04/05/20

9K - 44:00 - Road - NP35

Another attempt at a 10K but not quite there yet lol.

Turned back at 4.5K as I knew I didn't have it in the legs, had to take a couple of brief walking breaks on the way back....still feeling pretty tired generally but will keep plugging away at it. Might stick to 8K this week and build up more gradually

06/05/20

8K - 38:08 - Road - NP35

Another few miles on the road to recovery/normality.

Did a 4K out and back route...struggled a bit on the way back into a strong breeze but kept the legs going

07/05/20

Intervals - 10 x 400m - Road - AT

A fairly unspectacular set of late evening intervals with one notable highlight......

I overtook a cyclist going up a hill :-)

This wasn't some casual fella out for a spin with the kids....this guy was head to toe in Lycra on a bike that probably cost more than my car.

Anyway, will keep doing regular intervals to reintroduce the concept of speed to my legs

09/05/20

10K - 48:46 - Road - NP35

Finally broke through the magical 10K barrier but it was a bit of a slog in the sun.

Had to take a few brief walking breaks which skewed the time a bit....ran 6 kilometres at <= 4:45 pace which is about par for my fitness right now.

This run was part of a virtual club run for Darkness Into Light, a lot of charities struggling during the lockdown so happy to help out with a donation

11/05/20

5K - 22:16 - Road - NB880

I guess this was a 5K Time Trial of sorts - this was pretty much on the limit for me atm but felt good to be running 'fast' again.

Had to dig in a bit after a slow first km (4:45) but settled into a rhythm after that.

I'll try to do these more regularly if I can and log the progress; I'd like to get down to ~21mins in the next few weeks:

5K TT:
    27/04/20 - 22:53
    11/05/20 - 22:16

13/05/20

8K - 37:19 - Road - NP35

Went out around half 8 last night and it was freezing :eek:

Haven't been that cold on a run in a long time so wasn't hanging around.

Aimed to run at my newish default lockdown pace of 4:45 per km (38 mins for 8K) and pretty much nailed it with a relative degree of comfort. The time gains came in the last 2K which are mainly downhill/flat.

All good besides I think - might do the Curraghchase virtual 10K later in the month to keep halfways focussed.

15/05/20

7K - 32:41 - Road - NB880

Felt pretty worn out after a long week of juggling wfh and home school/entertainment.

This was a nothing run in terms of running but really helped clear my head

23/05/20

10K - 48:05 - Road - NP35

26/05/20

8.25K - 38:05 - Road - NP35

So it's been an extremely higgledy-piggledy couple of weeks since my last update.

Basically my thyroid has gone absolutely bananas....wake up some mornings feeling like I've been hit by a bus, some mornings with a dirty hangover feeling and some mornings normal.

Have had another round of blood tests and waiting to see a consultant. Also had a Covid test last week....not a pleasant experience but happy to report, as Donald Trump said, that I was positively negative. My GP has advised to exercise if I feel like it so will keep plugging away when I can.

Anyway, the last couple of runs have bizarrely been the best this year by a long shot. Felt strong and full of running (relatively) both evenings so will just have to take each day as it comes in the thyroid front.

And bought another pair of Pegasus today for a sensational €59. It would have been criminal not to get them...right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to hear you've had a rough few weeks. Hope you can get on top of the thyroid again soon with the results of the bloods.

It's been killing me but i've been trying to stay away from the Nick30! I still have a pair of Pegs in their box since the last time they ran that deal, in fairness it's pretty amazing value, well wear.

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you've had a rough few weeks. Hope you can get on top of the thyroid again soon with the results of the bloods.

It's been killing me but i've been trying to stay away from the Nick30! I still have a pair of Pegs in their box since the last time they ran that deal, in fairness it's pretty amazing value, well wear.

Cheers...the thyroid thing has been an issue for the last 18 months or so but deffo getting more volatile lately. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it soon one way or the other.

I love the Pegasus I have to say....will be keeping the eyes peeled yet again for the DPD van :-)

28/05/20

5K - 20:59 - Road - NB1400

Was tight on time this evening so against all logic and instinct I decided to head out for a 'quick' 5K and went all in by donning the NB1400s.

Had a feeling 21:30 might be in scope so was well chuffed with a sub 21. Being that I've done feck all mileage and zero speed work since my last 5K I can only assume that my thyroid was out of whack a few weeks ago. Or maybe it was just one of the good days...who knows.

Or maybe it's the NB1400s....a fabulous shoe imho. Have only worn them a handful of times but they're the best racers I've worn hands down.

5K TT:
    27/04/20 - 22:53
    11/05/20 - 22:16
    28/05/20 - 20:59

29/05/20

7K - 32:16 - Road - NP34

31/05/20

10K - 46:25 - Road - NP35

Bizarrely I had zero after effects from running a fast 5K in racers. Had half expected my Achilles to seize up but no, fresh as a daisy the morning after which made a welcome change.

Anyway, two solid runs ran at faster than my default Lockdown pace followed by the pleasure of a lengthy cooldown in the paddling pool.

03/06/20

10K - 46:38 - Road - NP35

Alas no paddling pool cooldown this evening but the upward trajectory continues.

Headed out with the intention of doing 7K but was feeling good so ended up taking the 10K route. Long time readers of this log knows that this normally happens the other way around :-)

Felt strong from start to finish and ran pretty much at 4:40 all the way. More recent 10ks have been a lot more uneven

05/06/20

10K - 49:20 - Road - NP34

A slow run to end a slow week, had vaguely planned to do 12K but the wind was very gusty when I was out so decided to cut my losses and stick to 10K which no longer feels like a long run :rolleyes:

06/06/20

Intervals - 8 x 800m - Road - NP35

Happy enough with this workout, the average was somewhere around 3:18 I’d say. Didn’t feel under pressure at any point apart from a tricky 200m stretch in the first interval where I had to outrun a combine harvester :D

It was a narrow country road so nowhere for me to go other than forward as quickly as possible til I got to a point where I could get off the road.

Anyway, all good besides - could do with an event to plan for though!

08/06/20

8K - 34:55 - Road - NP35

First attempt at a tempo run in a very long time. Wasn't 100% sure if I could hold 4:30 pace for 8K but lo and behold it was fairly handy in the end.

Found the first 2K (mainly uphill) a bit of a struggle but powered on grand after that.

Might do something slower tomorrow and maybe a 5K TT later in the week

As I was heading out last night for my tempo run with trusty NB880's in hand it dawned on me that the shoes were absolutely knackered...will reluctantly have to bin them I think...they've done a lot of heavy lifting over the last couple of years but time to say adios.

Shoe Roster Update
    - Asics Flux - 90% worn....another good workhorse shoe edging it's way towards the bin.

- Saucony Kinvara - 60% worn...bought these on a whim years ago but find a hard run generally ends with my calves turning to concrete. Have worn them on treadmills and dry cross country but not in a while

- Asics DS Trainer 17...85% worn...bought these at the London Marathon expo in 2012 and mainly used them for races and speed work. A great shoe & still not in too bad shape all things considered

- Asics DS Trainer 21...75% worn...another race/speed shoe, have to admit I never really liked them despite a couple of PB's. Much more rigid that the other ones and marked the beginning of the end for me with Asics.

- NB 880 - RIP after a couple of years great service; the shoe equivalent of James Milner for me

- NB 1400 - 20%....a racing shoe that I've done very little racing in tbh but hopefully that will change next year

- Pegasus 34 - 80% worn...wore these a good bit for DCM mileage last year

- Pegasus 35 - 40% worn...ran the marathon in these and have gradually become my regular runner in the last few weeks.

- Pegasus 36 (Cherry red) - in a box under the bed...will be unveiling them soon

- Pegasus 36 (Black) - in a box under the bed also :D got these last week for €59 so will be a while before they see tarmac

10/06/20

10K - 48:41 - Road - NP34

I can't remember much about this run tbh but my watch says it happened so I'm not going to argue with the Garmin :-)

Had planned a slow 7K but it turned into a slow 10K.

12/06/20

5K - 20:22 - Road - NB1400

Lockdown Time Trial 4 and continuing the upward trend.

Felt great for the first 3.5K or so but was really blowing out my arse at the end. Left it all out there anyway....haven't emptied the tank like that in a while tbh.

Squeezed in the first couple of km in sub 4, then drifted out to ~4:05 for next 2K before hitting for meltdown in the final (mainly uphill) last km.

Some more even pacing would probably have helped but a good workout nonetheless.

Sub 20 will be possible I think but not for another few weeks

5K TT:
    1. 22:53
    2. 22:16
    3. 20:59
    4. 20:22

• Advertisement

14/06/20

12K - 56:27 - Road - NP35

A comfortable and solid "long" run... probably had more in the tank today but no point in rushing at this stage.

Might try a few at this distance before progressing up to 10 miles

Advertisement