Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to understand heating in new house

• 05-06-2020 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

We've moved into a new house which by my standards is modern! (built in 2006)

Any previous house I've been in just had an oil boiler that heated rads and water until it was turned off.

The system consists of:

Gas boiler
    Hive dual channel receiver + wireless thermostat
    Hot water tank
    3 motorised valves in the hot press
    Tank mounted thermostat
    Upstairs and downstairs thermostats
    TRVs on all rads
    Immersion switch and time clock that doesn't appear to work (no power to switch)

My main area of confusion comes from the thermostats and their likely configuration.

What is the tank thermostat controling, is it going to knock off the valve for the tank or be wired back to the boiler?

If the hive is a thermostat is this just going to control the boiler and the wired thermostats control the valves? What if the hive gets warm downstairs and turns off the boiler but it's cold upstairs?

If the heating is on will the water heat too or would they be independent systems?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Yeah, bit of an irish solution to an Irish problem.

So initially when you heating system was plumbed, the control wires (very and orange) for your motorised valves we not wired up.

In this situation, there was not enough 'wires' at your time clock to put in anything only a single channel hive (I assume the installer put in a dual to allow you to control the DHW regardless of the Hive stat in the summer by just turning the 2 room stats to zero)

So all Hive does, on DHW control, is turn on the boiler on your demand, and on CH mode, turn on the boiler on the Hive stat temp demand.

The Hive stat for CH then is the 'master' stat, and while bringing on the boiler, also feeds power to all 3 stats (2 room 1 cylinder) and allows them to govern their individual zones, meaning the Hive stat always should be set very high, if not once the zone it's in is satisfied, it will turn off all zones and the boiler.

What I would suggest you do to improve this, if possible, have another 5 core cable fitted from where your boiler is (and assume your hive receiver is) to your motorised valves location (you can also relocate all Hive receivers to where your motorised valves are too if your preferred) and then get a qualified person to wire up a small wiring centre in the MV area (hotpress?) you will also need another single change Hive receiver and second Hive stat. Both old room stats can be wired out and disregarded. You will then have a proper time and temp controlled 3 zones. Which is much more efficient (as what you currently have, if all 3 sats are satisfies and hive isn't, your boiler will fire on short cycles to dead zones, and waste a lot of fuel)

Sorry for the long winded explanation, hope it helps, worthwhile doing the upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Thanks DGOBS

If the Hive requests hot water only, why would the room stats need to be turned to zero?

I've noticed that when the water comes on (its set to come on every morning) that the kitchen rad also gets hot, is this expected behaviour?

Noted re the upgrades, thanks

Advertisement