Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2020, 19:22   #16
blade1

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Your concrete is most likely still drying out. I'd say that's the source of the moisture.

Needs constant airflow.
You talking to me, someone else or everyone Lister?

If me, shed is up with 6 years.
DPC under it.
Using the airchamber with 2 or 3 years.
Without it, the bikes were dripping wet in winter especially frosty mornings.
Something to do with the dew point afaik but not that educated on that sort of thing.
You'd know better than me.
Advertisement
05-06-2020, 21:11   #17
Test For Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Your concrete is most likely still drying out. I'd say that's the source of the moisture.

Needs constant airflow.
Shed was bolted down on fresh concrete - laid about a month or two - and then a floor was put in on DPC. Whole lot in place almost a year before there was any noticeable issue.

Been on the lookout for some suitable vents that'll fit between the ridges on the walls.
07-06-2020, 14:39   #18
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test For Echo View Post
Keep us posted on how you get on please!

I bought a Steeltech shed last year and it has been an absolute disaster for condensation & damp in Winter. The bikes will now have to be kept in the house during the Winter months. The shed, concrete & electrical work cost >€7500 so I'm well pissed off.

Was going to stick in a few vents but I don't think that's going to be good enough.
I suspect your base is contributing to a lot of your problems. A conc base or floor that is uninsulated, sitting on the ground - even on DPC- wiil pull down the performance of the building above it. This is as true of sheds as it is of Passive Houses. Its basically a sponge. And a metal shed over it exacerbates it.

I build low energy houses for a living and used that knowledge for my own shed. Thermally break the atmosphere inside to outside and ventilation are key.
(3) thanks from:
08-06-2020, 14:11   #19
Test For Echo

If I'd known what I was letting myself in for I'd never have bought a steel shed. Due to tight space I had to opt for a 10' x 10' shed - not sure how well that lends itself to retro fitting insulation etc without eating into all the storage space.

Wish I'd put on some kind of small conservatory instead and put the bikes in there. Not ideal but better than a rain forest of a shed.
08-06-2020, 15:30   #20
galwaytt

Quote:
If I'd known what I was letting myself in for I'd never have bought a steel shed. Due to tight space I had to opt for a 10' x 10' shed - not sure how well that lends itself to retro fitting insulation etc without eating into all the storage space.

Wish I'd put on some kind of small conservatory instead and put the bikes in there. Not ideal but better than a rain forest of a shed.
Vents are easy & cheap: https://www.screwfix.ie/p/manrose-fi...-x-100mm/14434

When you say you 'put in a floor' after the base was in, can you give some detail ?

If you need to, it really wouldn't be the end of the world to empty the shed, unbolt it, jack it up a bit and put in insulated floor, and then drop it back down on it.

If I can 'lift' entire houses, a shed should be straightforward !

Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (734.6 KB, 127 views)
Advertisement
08-06-2020, 15:34   #21
enrique66_35

Quote:

I know its of no help now but I have a similar sized steeltech shed and haven't had any condensation issues (keep tools, sports gear and two bikes in it - yes its a tight fit!). The crucial difference being as it was sited on gravel I was too cheap to pour concrete so opted for suspended steel frame/chipboard floor. The shed is mounted on 6 paving slabs.

It can be a bit bouncy but its dry and two years in the floor has coped with me and bikes in and out. My main issue is the height difference so knocked up a ramp out of an old pallet but its still a bit of wrestling match getting bikes back in
Thanks from:
08-06-2020, 16:03   #22
Test For Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
Vents are easy & cheap:

When you say you 'put in a floor' after the base was in, can you give some detail ?

If you need to, it really wouldn't be the end of the world to empty the shed, unbolt it, jack it up a bit and put in insulated floor, and then drop it back down on it.

If I can 'lift' entire houses, a shed should be straightforward !
I've ordered 4 of these at the weekend https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...iss-vents.aspx

Got a small back garden dug up and fully concreted. Shed was bolted down on concrete and then a pour of 1.5" or so of concrete was put in as the floor.

What kind of insulated floor are you thinking of?

Last edited by Test For Echo; 08-06-2020 at 16:11. Reason: spellingz
08-06-2020, 16:57   #23
galwaytt

Quote:
I've ordered 4 of these at the weekend https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...iss-vents.aspx

Got a small back garden dug up and fully concreted. Shed was bolted down on concrete and then a pour of 1.5" or so of concrete was put in as the floor.

What kind of insulated floor are you thinking of?
so you had a base, then the shed, and then another 37mm of screed put on that ?

Ideally, 50mm of high density EPS/XPS and screeded over. You might get away with a board of some kind over it instead, but that would wear and depending what it's made from, soak water over time. Or something like Wisadeck, as used on trailer floors could be a solution. Would certainly be warmer.
Thanks from:
08-06-2020, 22:40   #24
Test For Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post
so you had a base, then the shed, and then another 37mm of screed put on that ?

Ideally, 50mm of high density EPS/XPS and screeded over. You might get away with a board of some kind over it instead, but that would wear and depending what it's made from, soak water over time. Or something like Wisadeck, as used on trailer floors could be a solution. Would certainly be warmer.
Thanks for the advice. Covid meant I couldn't get a hold of the guys that did the work for me to see what the issue / solution was. Got to admit I'm beyond pissed off revisiting it. Damn shed was soaking late Feb and everything in it was wet / covered in mold. The top of one of the walls was absolutely soaking, I could be wrong, but could the floor alone cause that much of an issue?

Pic of the roof this evening
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shedceiling.JPG (73.1 KB, 34 views)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2020, 00:25   #25
Wonda-Boy

I have a Steeltech shed also 13ft x 15ft or the like.....nothing extra done but I get the bare minimum condensation inside. Its quite cold in the winter and quite warm in the summer but I never have any major issue apart from a small ingress of water where I personally made a bollocks of the floor when I laid it ( I layed the floor in 2 halves and dont think I packed the joint well enough when starting the 2nd half if you get me....so it seeps a little)

Might be an option to screed over the whole thing again but it might start cracking if too thin!
Thanks from:
10-06-2020, 02:03   #26
Hotblack Desiato
Plutonium Rock Group

I have a block-built shed, problem with it is that there is no DPM in the floor.

Had thought about putting down a layer (or two) of DPM and then paving slabs on top - would be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to pour a layer of concrete on top. Someone mentioned OSB earlier, sheets of that would be easier and cheaper again - is that really a runner? Do I have to put battens under them - I want to raise the floor height as little as possible.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion