Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to do an Ironman next year.

• 03-06-2020 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I don't know why but I've always had it in my head that I'd love to complete an Ironman triathlon.

Now I'm seriously considering signing myself up for one.

I've Youghal 2021 in my head.
    I'm also considering the Hardman in Kerry, namely because it's cheaper but part of me wants to complete an Ironman event.. Solely for having 'completed an Ironman'.

I'd have 14 months to train.

I'm just shy of 10st, 5'7, and generally in 'alright' shape.
    I'm not carrying any injuries, my only issue is my mild asthma.
    I was very fit in my late teens but I've slacked off since going to college.

I'm just getting 'properly' into cycling, but I love it.
    I was a very strong swimmer as a teen, qualified as a lifeguard and all that, but I could do with getting my cardio back up.
    Haven't ran consistently in awhile, probably struggle with a 5k, as bad as it sounds.

I went for a 15 mile cycle yesterday, managed it in under an hour 10.
    Also went for a 'run' that morning, my watch died but 4k took me around 25 or so minutes.

I know I'd be signing myself up for an expensive and gruelling year but it's just something I've always had in the back of my mind.

Has anyone here completed one?

Any recommended routines/training plans?

Part of me just sees this as the ultimate test, part of me just wants to commit to something intense and actually follow through, I've mentioned it to my family and while they think it's mad they've all said 'I'd say you could do it'.

This could very well wash over like so many things have but I'll at least give it some attention now..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

MrMiata wrote: »
    I don't know why but I've always had it in my head that I'd love to complete an Ironman triathlon.

Now I'm seriously considering signing myself up for one.

I've Youghal 2021 in my head.
    I'm also considering the Hardman in Kerry, namely because it's cheaper but part of me wants to complete an Ironman event.. Solely for having 'completed an Ironman'.

I'd have 14 months to train.

I'm just shy of 10st, 5'7, and generally in 'alright' shape.
    I'm not carrying any injuries, my only issue is my mild asthma.
    I was very fit in my late teens but I've slacked off since going to college.

I'm just getting 'properly' into cycling, but I love it.
    I was a very strong swimmer as a teen, qualified as a lifeguard and all that, but I could do with getting my cardio back up.
    Haven't ran consistently in awhile, probably struggle with a 5k, as bad as it sounds.

I went for a 15 mile cycle yesterday, managed it in under an hour 10.
    Also went for a 'run' that morning, my watch died but 4k took me around 25 or so minutes.

I know I'd be signing myself up for an expensive and gruelling year but it's just something I've always had in the back of my mind.

Has anyone here completed one?

Any recommended routines/training plans?

Part of me just sees this as the ultimate test, part of me just wants to commit to something intense and actually follow through, I've mentioned it to my family and while they think it's mad they've all said 'I'd say you could do it'.

This could very well wash over like so many things have but I'll at least give it some attention now..

You might post this over on the Triathlon forum, I'd say the quality of advice might be a bit better :)

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/1527

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

healy1835 wrote: »
    You might post this over on the Triathlon forum, I'd say the quality of advice might be a bit better :)

Thank you! I didn’t even think to see if that existed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

healy1835 wrote: »

:rolleyes: Phew, I nearly answered and started a whole comeback together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

:rolleyes: Phew, I nearly answered and started a whole comeback together :D

Sure you would have the experience to answer and the sence no to commit yourself ;):)

Advertisement